Safe Zones Are they havens or isolation chambers?

kvnchrist

http://www.gayalliance.org/programs/education-safezone/safezone-programs/

What is a SafeZone?

A safe zone or a safe space is a place where all people feel safe, welcome and included. It may be a room, a car, or an entire college campus. The Gay Alliance SafeZone program aims to increase the awareness, knowledge, and skills for individuals and address the challenges that exist when one wants to advocate for their LGBTQ peers, family members, friends, coworkers and for themselves. Creating safe zones or safe spaces is a proactive step that schools, agencies and corporations can take to create welcoming, inclusive spaces so that all people are empowered to reach their full potential.

Does these places, help or hinder peoples ability to assimulate? Do they remove people from the experiences they will need to interact with society in a meaningful manner?

Does these havens give those people, whom they are designed to accomodate a faulse sense of security or isolation that was once called "Staying in the closet?"

I'm talking about the kids who are now growing up and sometimes not so sure of themselves. Shouldn't they learn the people skills and by interaction learn to deal with ignorance and hatrid, as well as gaining knowledge of those people beyond their comunity that will actively support them?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have become to much of a 'coddle me' society for kids to actually learn anything from the school of hard knocks.

"Safe Zones" are a fairy tale. You can label something anything you like, but, that does not necessarily mean that is what it is. Call a room a 'safe zone', and it becomes a bully magnet. Unless it is a one-person cubicle.....

Safe Zones are simply anti free speech zones designed to coddle the fragile feelings of those little darlings that have never confronted a damn thing in their lives. It is the inevitable result of the the 'everyone deserves a prize' mentality of raising kids. Safe Zones are the ostrich method of dealing with unpleasant realities of life. In my lifetime we have gone from our parent's Greatest Generation who confronted real evil to this pathetic bit of mollycoddling.

http://www.bellezapura.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/3752029183_304a51942e_o.jpg

My way of thinking is this is much more sinister than just coddling people. It's giving them a pocket universe where they can hide from reality. It's placing them where they don't need to thik outside the box to work things out, so when the a situation arrises they will need help coping, which elites and their cronieswill be happy to ablige.

Suddenly we has college educated people who can't deal, one of one with someone who thinks different from them In steps the authortarian elitests, to make things all warm and coxy and these people wll be the one;s tha keep these people in ccice.

A great investment of preserving one's own job, Don't yo thing?

On the surface it might not be such a bad thing. It seems like the society has pretty low acceptance for LGBT, even in civilized countries, and those "SafeZones" may not function as some iron curtain against the world, rather something like a club, where similar people can gather, make friends and etc. Of course if it's purpose is crystal clear for what it advertised for. Everyone will get hard knocks in life sooner or later, but having "safe heaven" may ease things up a bit for a time.

I remember in elementary school we had a boy, he was pretty weird, his way of talking and moving weren't boyish, also he was shy and hang out mostly with girls, and not in a way as boy should, but rather as their girlfriend. Children are mostly very aggressive and cruel creatures, my blood runs cold when I remember what we have been doing to each other and animals when I was a kid. So basically our entire class was beating up and bullying this poor fella, and sometimes pretty badly as he went to the hospital for a several months, that felt so fun and cool that time, and no one bothered to tell us, kids, that it ain't right. So nowadays, when I hear in news that in Europe children getting educated that there are other kids that don't act like everyone else, and it's normal, and they shouldn't be beaten to death every time is not such a bad thing really...

Nobody's asking anything of you, so why are you all getting so violently offended at just the concept of this? Sounds like if anyone needs to grow thicker skin, it's you.

Not sure who you were referring to there, but.....

The concept of this simply reinforces the coddling of 'special interests'...... Its no different than any other form of discrimination.

That was directed at anyone offended by the mere concept of safe spaces. And the idea that this is discrimination is laughable... "random jackass who likes to insult anyone different from themself" is not a protected class.

EDIT: And weren't you the one who was railing on and on, not too long ago, about the sanctity of single-gender bathrooms? Don't you think it's just a little bit disingenuous that now you're all about making sure everyone is allowed everywhere?

Edited by Marxist ßastard