Safe Zones Are they havens or isolation chambers?

kvnchrist

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My argument is that they are far more successful in male-dominated fields than women who went to co-ed schools. That brief respite from sexism gave them better ability to deal with it.

When did you make that arguement. This entire situation reminds of the fact that the environment inside a capsulized reality doesn't set one up for the realities in the real world. It's like the Captain of the football team being popular in school, but being shocked that the boss on his first job doesn't really care how fqar he ran the ball back.School is to taste test the world. It isn't to give you false hope in a relity that does't exist.

And I've given proof that a college environment you would call "sheltered" led to graduates who were actually better at handling sexism. It's time for you to provide proof too, not just repeat the same false assumption over and over again. Put up or shut up.

My use of the term is the safe zone and you have not given any proff at all of these, because not all colledge graduates have used them, not even those whose it is that these safe zones were produced.

And I've given proof that a college environment you would call "sheltered" led to graduates who were actually better at handling sexism. It's time for you to provide proof too, not just repeat the same false assumption over and over again. Put up or shut up.

No you haven't given any proof

The only article used as a source is actually an article about why women are not pursueing politics , This is the first paragraph.

t’s been called a “stall,” a “stagnation,” and even, ominously, a “flatliner.” In 2008, after steadily growing for three decades, the percentage of American women in public office abruptly halted its upward trajectory. Today, women make up roughly 17 percent of the United States Congress and 24 percent of state legislatures. That’s a 14 percent increase since 1979, but virtually identical to 2008’s numbers. Debbie Walsh GSNB’80, director of the Rutgers Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP), calls the stall “very frustrating.” It begs the question, she says, “Why are we at this point?”

This is the full article http://urwebsrv.rutgers.edu/magazine/archive1013/features/fall-2012/outside-looking-in

The 30% Businessweek link actually just goes to a womens college application help site and the other relevant link just goes to a blank page . No where in the article do they show that any of these record number of Senators (which its not , record was set in 2008) actually attended solely womens colleges , they are making a claim and conflating a result. In fact its far more likely most of these Senators went to mixed colleges as there are far far more of them than solely womens colleges. But I'm not gonna research up each individual Senator to see where they attended college.

This is the perfect example of why safe spaces are dumb , you create your own echo chamber and the foolish follow you along. Your just listening to propaganda.

That was directed at anyone offended by the mere concept of safe spaces. And the idea that this is discrimination is laughable... "random jackass who likes to insult anyone different from themself" is not a protected class.

EDIT: And weren't you the one who was railing on and on, not too long ago, about the sanctity of single-gender bathrooms? Don't you think it's just a little bit disingenuous that now you're all about making sure everyone is allowed everywhere?

I don't think it is discriminatory. As I raised my daughter I explained to her that there were times she would have to face certain things and have to learn to deal with them properly and not hide from them. I agree that there are situations where this safe space would be beneficial, but I do believe it is, at least a temporary measure to an illusion of safe.

If you believe in something, or something has happened to you then you should be able to share it and not feel like someone would physically hurt you, you should not have to face patterned abuse. But sometimes you have to learn to stand your ground. We can not always be in a safe zone. I hope that I have taught my daughter how to stand up for herself and her beliefs (even if sometimes that means leaving the conversation or debate.) We can not change people, you can make safe zones, offer information, educate, etc and there will still be those that are against whatever it is that a person is, likes, works at , what have you.

Learning how to deal with the world, to me, is a much better thing. Learning to deal and find help if you are not dealing well to learn skills that would help you, is in my mind best. Safe Zones only encourage the illusion and serve to self-segregate and possibly cause even more issues later. If you want a true safe zone then go to support groups, counseling or a psychiatrist.

That was directed at anyone offended by the mere concept of safe spaces. And the idea that this is discrimination is laughable... "random jackass who likes to insult anyone different from themself" is not a protected class.

EDIT: And weren't you the one who was railing on and on, not too long ago, about the sanctity of single-gender bathrooms? Don't you think it's just a little bit disingenuous that now you're all about making sure everyone is allowed everywhere?

I don't think it is discriminatory. As I raised my daughter I explained to her that there were times she would have to face certain things and have to learn to deal with them properly and not hide from them. I agree that there are situations where this safe space would be beneficial, but I do believe it is, at least a temporary measure to an illusion of safe.

If you believe in something, or something has happened to you then you should be able to share it and not feel like someone would physically hurt you, you should not have to face pattered abuse. But sometimes you have to learn to stand your ground. We can not always be in a safe zone. I hope that I have taught my daughter how to stand up for herself and her beliefs (even if sometimes that means leaving the conversation or debate.) We can not change people, you can make safe zones, offer information, educate, etc and there will still be those that are against whatever it is that a person is, likes, works at , what have you.

Learning how to deal with the world, to me, is a much better thing. Learning to deal and find help if you are not dealing well to learn skills that would help you, is in my mind best. Safe Zones only encourage the illusion and serve to self-segregate and possibly cause even more issues later. If you want a true safe zone then go to support groups, counseling or a psychiatrist.

Very well said.

The essential problem in my mind with Safe Spaces is that they are designed to self reinforce beliefs and exclude the others that do not agree with you. This is done ostensibly to protect the snowflake's fragile self construct of the world which would not stand up to a free exchange of ideas without this form of University Kindergarten. This does a disservice to the students, if an idea is good or bad only an open dialogue will allow it's merits to be self evident. Safe spaces as they are currently utilized is simply intellectual cowardice disguised as necessary protection.

The essential problem in my mind with Safe Spaces is that they are deigned to self reinforce beliefs and exclude the others that do not agree with you. This is done ostensibly to protect the snowflake's fragile self construct of the world which would not stand up to a free exchange of ideas without this form of University Kindergarten. For this does a disservice to the students, if an idea is good or bad only an open dialogue will allow it's merits to be self evident. Safe spaces as they are currently utilized is simply intellectual cowardice disguised as necessary protection.

Five stars, my friend. five stars. These places aren't helping out society in any way, but what do you expect from people who shout down speakers who don't agree with them or circulate petitions to get someone removed from a speaking engagement.

The 30% Businessweek link actually just goes to a womens college application help site and the other relevant link just goes to a blank page

Sigh... Learn to Internet. I found the original source inside of two minutes. As for the rest of you, I've given proof. I've requested contrary evidence from any of you, and you've failed to provide it. Instead, you're just restating the same false assumption over and over again, and giving each other high-fives after each iteration.

Edited by Marxist ßastard