Safe Zones Are they havens or isolation chambers?

kvnchrist

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British Virgin Islands was a 'safe zone'... It all depends on context and perspective.

In this case I would say, again, that it might be deliberate but even if it is well-meaning, people will just take it and make it s#*! anyway - we are all experts at this. Places for people to feel able to feel safe and free to express their opinion an challenge others should always be welcome in a open and progressive society. However, this will in all likelihood turn out to be another form of oppression (or suppression) where certain views are tabooed, much like the societies and schools of thought which it pertains to revile.

Maybe it is as a reflection in which it can enlighten the error of our ways, and perhaps I am also just much too cynical. I hope I am wrong and that such ideas and exercises can actually enable the discussion to take place, but in any event it will be slow, difficult, and not devoid of people and organisations trying to steer things to their own political ends. Perhaps right now is not the best time to be playing with such fires either, because there are a lot of people very hungry for a fight... often with good reason too! In fact, the idea of needing a 'safe zone' to start with is to some like admitting the 'American Dream' has already failed. *cough*

Beyond the ironic pessimism, there will always be firsts and lasts and it is unusual for things to just go right straight away. Such is our direction of travel, lest we fall victim to any 'final solution'. Yet, given our era of 'post-truth' politics, your guess is as good as mine as to whether we will even know what we see when we see it, or be able to deal with it once it has happened.

Places for people to feel able to feel safe and free to express their opinion an challenge others should always be welcome in a open and progressive society.

Expressing an opinion or challenging others are two things safe spaces stop people doing.

Places for people to feel able to feel safe and free to express their opinion an challenge others should always be welcome in a open and progressive society.

Expressing an opinion or challenging others are two things safe spaces stop people doing.

This all depends on how you define 'safe'. Who is safe, and from what? Safe to express, or safe from expression?

Analysing it further one could argue, "well there is no such thing as 'safe'", but that is wholly relative. For example, as children (and as adults too!) we all learn inside walled gardens, some more walled then others, which allows us to make mistakes and learn from them so as to become stronger. You can have too much 'parenting' and end up utterly useless of course, but likewise you could be an orphan on the streets of Aleppo and learn more in a week than some do in their whole lives, if you are lucky enough to even survive that is.

Extrapolating this to our current scenario we have a (likely) superficial garden where people can feel 'safe' to express themselves. While in all reality they are probably even less safe in this place because now they have automatically become a target! Deeply ironic, but such is the paradox within the debate.

Perhaps there are those who don't feel the need for a 'safe space' (although most of us have them in the form of a house, work, family, friends, or whatever), but perhaps it is likely because the spaces they occupy already allow them to be, by and large, that which they feel comfortable being. It follows that they will naturally start to feel 'unsafe' if those spaces begin to become places where they no longer feel as comfortable.

It's largely down to perspective and such efforts can easily backfire as much as they can become the topic of conversation.

Well gee whiz kvnchrist, I'm very sorry to have brought facts to your feelings fight

Could the staff please terminate this thread and delete my account. I'm done here, perminately. Thank you.

Don't let him drive you away, he argues for the sake of it.

This all depends on how you define 'safe'. Who is safe, and from what? Safe to express, or safe from expression?

Analysing it further one could argue, "well there is no such thing as 'safe'", but that is wholly relative. For example, as children (and as adults too!) we all learn inside walled gardens, some more walled then others, which allows us to make mistakes and learn from them so as to become stronger. You can have too much 'parenting' and end up utterly useless of course, but likewise you could be an orphan on the streets of Aleppo and learn more in a week than some do in their whole lives, if you are lucky enough to even survive that is.

Extrapolating this to our current scenario we have a (likely) superficial garden where people can feel 'safe' to express themselves. While in all reality they are probably even less safe in this place because now they have automatically become a target! Deeply ironic, but such is the paradox within the debate.

Perhaps there are those who don't feel the need for a 'safe space' (although most of us have them in the form of a house, work, family, friends, or whatever), but perhaps it is likely because the spaces they occupy already allow them to be, by and large, that which they feel comfortable being. It follows that they will naturally start to feel 'unsafe' if those spaces begin to become places where they no longer feel as comfortable.

It's largely down to perspective and such efforts can easily backfire as much as they can become the topic of conversation.

You know what a safe space is and it's obvious why it does not encourage people to share their opinions or challenge the opinions of others, safe spaces isolate people from the opinions of others and make you less likely to share yours in case you upset some poor snowflake.

Could the staff please terminate this thread and delete my account. I'm done here, perminately. Thank you.

I'll close the topic (I get the impression some people need a bit of a timeout from subjects in the debates section), but I'm not going to close your account.

Give it a week, if you still feel the same then contact me directly. Just take some time to think things over.