Skyrim view system - A step backward?

dba222

This may not bother many people because I have not seen any posts on it yet but I am not a fan of the changes made to the 3rd person view system in Skyrim.

In each previous game (Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV), the 3rd person view was attached to the back of your character, like in Skyrim, but you were able to look in any direction via the mouselook command (pushing the mousewheel down on my system) while you were moving. Skyrim allows you to only look around like this when you are not moving. This means I have to stop constantly to look around for things or I have to zigzag constantly and use the 'strafing' keys to get a little situational awareness. The old system seemed to work so well I don't understand why they changed it to the way it now is.

Is there any way to get a 'moving' mouselook back?

Im missing it a lot...the first thing i was trying to do after creating my character, rotate camera while running..was surprised i couldnt.

I havent saw any mod/command that fixes it, but in january when ck comes out i have no doubt there will be one soon.

Im missing it a lot...the first thing i was trying to do after creating my character, rotate camera while running..was surprised i couldnt.

I havent saw any mod/command that fixes it, but in january when ck comes out i have no doubt there will be one soon.

qft

Was the first thing that irked me about Skyrim.

:(

I miss being able to glance around - epsecially on horseback.

I also miss having the infernal camera CENTERED! Argh! :wallbash: I know some people love their camera set off to the side, but frankly it drives me mad. I wish they'd just give us some different options regarding our 3rd person camera views.

The changes to the camera is, at least to me, the biggest single WTF aspect of Skyrim. I really wish I could turn in place. The way the camera switches to vanity mode if you stop moving, is a feature I simply do not understand. It's really disorientating and doesn't seem to serve any purpose. The only reason I can come up with, for having such a feature, is the fact that the inventory screen doesn't have a "paper doll" anymore, and you need it to look what your character looks like.

And why have the camera behave differently depending on what you are doing? I think it should be over the shoulder or behind the head all the time. This default system just causes odd situations and your "alter ego" getting spatially displaced when changing camera modes.

Personally I would prefer it to be behind the head all the time, but understand that some prefer over the shoulder. But the thing I find really perplexing, is why not let players choose themselves and to customize the camera settings to their liking? The engine obviously can handle it. Why can't I have that? In fact, why not have multiple camera settings? Racing games have them, why couldn't sand box RPGs? You could have a set of customizable cameras, some tweaked for functionality, others for cinematic purposes, others set to your custom preferences, and you could switch between them at your will. That's what I'd like to see.

Oh well... At least I managed to "fix" some of these issues by tweaking my ini files, but not all. And thankfully the game doesn't have forced head bobbing. Far too many games force you to have head bob these days.

The changes to the camera is, at least to me, the biggest single WTF aspect of Skyrim. I really wish I could turn in place. The way the camera switches to vanity mode if you stop moving, is a feature I simply do not understand. It's really disorientating and doesn't seem to serve any purpose. The only reason I can come up with, for having such a feature, is the fact that the inventory screen doesn't have a "paper doll" anymore, and you need it to look what your character looks like.

And why have the camera behave differently depending on what you are doing? I think it should be over the shoulder or behind the head all the time. This default system just causes odd situations and your "alter ego" getting spatially displaced when changing camera modes.

Personally I would prefer it to be behind the head all the time, but understand that some prefer over the shoulder. But the thing I find really perplexing, is why not let players choose themselves and to customize the camera settings to their liking? The engine obviously can handle it. Why can't I have that? In fact, why not have multiple camera settings? Racing games have them, why couldn't sand box RPGs? You could have a set of customizable cameras, some tweaked for functionality, others for cinematic purposes, others set to your custom preferences, and you could switch between them at your will. That's what I'd like to see.

Oh well... At least I managed to "fix" some of these issues by tweaking my ini files, but not all. And thankfully the game doesn't have forced head bobbing. Far too many games force you to have head bob these days.

Come to think of it....didnt Todd actually said somewhere in an interview we will be able to costumize our camera...im pretty sure i saw him saying that...where is that customization?

Many things in this game dont make sense. :wallbash: