can't get .esp's to run. ideas?

thurisazshole

its the oddest thing. I got the glowing ore mod to work just fine, when i added them to the textures folder, and i can use batch files just fine. - however, adding .esp files to my (x86)\skyrim\data\ folder does not activate them at all.

i'm the only user on my win7 ultimate box, and yes, its administrator.

is there some sort of command in the console i need to run, that i may be missing?

Nope, its not pirated - not a great idea for you to assume such things by default.. i paraphrased the location. i'm a tech by trade - we do that. and i chose the location myself during the installation ... in the future, you may not want to assume that everyone is a pirate. but for you, since you did, here's the install location. C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim\

need any more data? probably, here's a bit, as its still not working.

furthermore, one thing i've not been clear on is this: the only phrasing people have ever said is to "activate it in the launcher or mod manager" - you mean data files button? it's greyed out and won't activate, as if the .esp files dont' exist.

makes me wonder if installing to the custom location broke the install.

Anyway, you must be on a 64 bit system if you have Program Files (x86).

Go to your Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder and find SkyrimPrefs.ini.

Open it and under the [Launcher] section add the line:

bEnableFileSelection=1

then save and close it, this will enable you to activate data files from the skyrim launcher.

Thanks for the response, HadToRegister. Good catch on the 64-bit Install location, not everyone seems to know the automagic adjustment for the 32>64bit OS changes. But, I digress.

However, that was already in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file. I toggled it to =0 launched, then back to =1, just to make sure, and it stayed the same. (Still fail)

Next test:

So I installed the Nexus Mod Manager next, and am using a few mods to test. Rich Merchants for example, the screenshot shows Carlotta on the right, so I'm using her to test with.

Since there are a few issues with that mod simply not working, i'm also trying Breezehome Anvil and Breezehome Grindstone - still fail.

Yes, I've tried them all separately as well.

Nexus loads them just fine, and i select the files as well, then launch the program - but it still doesn't load them.

Almost makes me wonder if *shudder* Curse would work...Don't think its the manager, it might be the install itself.

Thanks for the response, HadToRegister. Good catch on the 64-bit Install location, not everyone seems to know the automagic adjustment for the 32>64bit OS changes. But, I digress.

However, that was already in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file. I toggled it to =0 launched, then back to =1, just to make sure, and it stayed the same. (Still fail)

Next test:

So I installed the Nexus Mod Manager next, and am using a few mods to test. Rich Merchants for example, the screenshot shows Carlotta on the right, so I'm using her to test with.

Since there are a few issues with that mod simply not working, i'm also trying Breezehome Anvil and Breezehome Grindstone - still fail.

Yes, I've tried them all separately as well.

Nexus loads them just fine, and i select the files as well, then launch the program - but it still doesn't load them.

Almost makes me wonder if *shudder* Curse would work...Don't think its the manager, it might be the install itself.

Have you looked at the two files called Plugins.txt and DLCList.txt

those are under Users/<your username>/appdata/local/skyrim/

If they're blank then either you have the esp's in the wrong place, because those txt files SHOULD keep a list of what esps you're using.

My plugins.txt looks like this

GetArrowsBack.esp
magickaregen100.esp
Skyrim.esm
staminaregen100.esp
StaminaCarryWeight_10.esp
No Perk Prereqs - Smithing Excluded.esp
LFox Pickpocketing Chance Caps at 100.esp
Balanced_Alteraton.esp
Balanced_Destruction.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting.esp
True Darker Dungeons.esp

Try running as Administrator maybe?

The esp files should be in the Data folder also

<edited for brevity>

my user is in the administrators group on the workgroup. i also set it local machine admin group too. - and confirmed the .esp's are in fact in the ..\skyrim\data\ folder.

this was confirmed by installing the "get dragon armor" mod, which installs batch files to the ..\skyrim\ folder (same folder as SkyrimLauncher.exe). - i did it via the nexus mod downloader, same as the other mods listed here, so i KNOW they're going to the right place.

plugins.txt: (file properties and security are fine. even set the everyone group to full control)

# This file is used by Skyrim to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
Skyrim.esm

makes me wonder if i should manually add the .esp files up there.... what do you think? i know that checking them in the mod manager does not resolve it.

DLClist.txt: (file properties and security are fine. even set the everyone group to full control, here as well)

Skyrim.esm
alch2x.esp
RingsOfPower.esp
Northborn Fur Hoods.esp
BreezehomeAnvil.esp
BreezehomeEnchantingTable.esp
BreezehomeGrindStone.esp

note to the nexus mod manager creator(s): issue is NOT with your software, this was used as a step for confirmation of troubleshooting the loading of the mods themselves.

Well, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't call you a pirate, I just noted that the path wasn't for a legal install, but you took offense as if being caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

Also, all legal copies of the game are installed in the steam folder path, unless, of course, its pirated or otherwise cracked. So I'll say it again, the path you specified, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim\, is not where a legal install forces you to install it to, no matter what. Not saying you are pirating the game because you could be the first person to ever find a legal install/installer that lets you put it anywhere, but I remain skeptical. :thumbsup:

Not one bit offended. did i take offense? nope, just moving forward with the issue. do you have anything constructive to add, or are you going to continue trolling to try and force me take offense? either way, i welcome your comments as long as they assist in the troubleshooting process here.

makes me wonder if i should manually add the .esp files up there.... what do you think? i know that checking them in the mod manager does not resolve it.

note to the nexus mod manager creator(s): issue is NOT with your software, this was used as a step for confirmation of troubleshooting the loading of the mods themselves.

It's worth a shot, I assume you've already made sure the file isn't read-only too?

A little thread cleanup.

Do not play forum vigilante, it will not be tolerated. Use the report button, that is what it is there for.

Buddah

@Thurisazshole

Although already pointed in previous post, yourself has keep pointing Skyrim as the location for the esp files when they need to be on the /data subfolder, like in the following quote:

this was confirmed by installing the "get dragon armor" mod, which installs batch files to the ..\skyrim\ folder (same folder as SkyrimLauncher.exe). - i did it via the nexus mod downloader, same as the other mods listed here, so i KNOW they're going to the right place.

Bat files indeed go directly into the root folder, but not esps, the same for \textures, \meshes, \sound folders that should not be under the root folder but under the [...\data] subfolder

Edit: sorry, your very first post state you are aware of it, please disregard this post.

Well, if the line on the launcher is enabled (not grayed) now, make sure the esps are ticked there, if the line is still grayed the only thing I can imagine is the line

bEnableFileSelection=1

is repeated but zeroed in the Skyrim.ini (which has preference when the parameters are allowed in both) or is under the wrong section, which should be the "[Launcher]"

Edited by nosisab