How to edit .wav audio levels?

Bladecatcher

I'd like to make a mod to double/triple the db of weapon sounds, though I haven't the faintest idea how to actually go about doing this. Is it possible in the GECK or FO4Edit? Or do you need some specific tool? If so, what tool would be needed, and how would you go about doing it? I imagine it wouldn't take more then 3 minutes for anyone with the know-how, but I have no idea how to go do this :c It's not urgent, but help would be appreciated.

I tried looking about in FO4Edit, found sound categorys which sounded like that'd be it, though increases that didn't seem to do anything, and it was capped at 1.00000, so I'm guessing that was the completely wrong thing to be editting. There were also sound files for each weapon but that didn't seem like it either, or at least, I had no idea which one to edit, because each weapon had a good 5-6 related to it (2-3 layers, grouped thing, reload etc.), and that didn't seem like the right way to go about it given how inefficient that'd be to need to edit 100's of things, half of which I don't know what they even do.

Anyway, help would be appreciated. Heck, if it is easy it'd be great if someone did it already, but that's just hoping for the best, I'm fine with someone just tellin me how to go about doing it.

Second post down: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?showtopic=435283

With the help of tortured Tomato and dBpoweramp (21 day free trial) I increased the volume of the radios in game. You might be able to do the same thing with weapon sounds too.

Hmm, getting increased volume through FO4edit would be easier if it's doable. Back up your game then try creating an override file/esp by right clicking the sound files you want to change and selecting override. Make your changes to the new esp ignoring all the warnings then exit/save making sure your new esp is ticked. Enable your new mod play the game and listen for any changes.

That's the thing, I'm unsure what file to edit in fo4edit, I can't find a simple 10mmpistol.wav or something. Each weapon has a category, 3~ layers, reload, couple other things..No idea which one if any I'm soppoused to modify

I have noticed weapons themselves having a "sound level", but that seems to be listed as "low, normal, ???", not a specific number.

Edit: Downloaded Audacity, increasing the DB doesn't seem to do anything..Maybe I'm increasing it wrong? Maybe that's just a preview thing and I'm not actually editting? It's loud as heck in the editor but ingame it doesn't sound different at all.

Edit2: Tried going into effects and boosting it, still don't seem to be getting any change ingame..

Edited by Bladecatcher

The way I have tweaked certain sounds to my liking, is by editing the "static attenuation" in the sound descripter forms. Lower is louder.

I prefer to do it with the ck because it can play the wavs directly, then test in game. If the level needs further tweaking it's fast and easy to do with Fo4Edit.

The sound descripter for the 10mm pistol fire is called WPNPistol10mmFirePlayer, I believe.

Edited by trold

How is it that hardly anyone in the modding authorship community understands the way that Static/Dynamic Attenuation settings work? All the sounds in a game are raw, and way too loud mostly. That gets attenuated in the SDK so it's adjusted for a volume balance. As an example with xEdit (because the .exe isn't built with acceptable numerical based sliders for this) you just find a vanilla sound an look at the numerical settings for attenuation then test it out to get close. In the SDK (creation kit) here you would just open the sound an adjust the sliders for it, then test it in the game if the SDK wouldn't play it immediately right then and there. This way, it doesn't matter what sound it is or how loud it is, it's all adjusted in the SDK to match a balance setting that will work for mostly everyone.