Another facial discoloration issue.

AlexNord

Just want to add I have the exact same problem with a couple of differences, mainly that it only ever happens with mod added characters. I have like 170 mods installed and only have the problem on characters added by a few of those mods including my own so I am looking for a fix for this which apparently does exist but going by the lack of actual mods being the problem with a lot of the posts it looks like it could be another Bethesda problem to add to the massive list of things they didn't notice through the testing that I guess never happened before release. Really topped off the lack of answers when someone on another forum actually suggested removing the Data folder, you know that one that holds essentially the entire game in it? I mean come on even I know not to do that lol

I've had this problem come and go. Windows 64 bit. Using the Unique bodies mod, so the body and face mods I use are (should be) isolated. So for example argonians are not modded at all. Neither are imperial or breton women, neither are any of the male bodies or faces. And yet now I am seeing the wrong facial skin tone on almost every NPC. Redguards, like that Nazeem guy, will have a white face sometimes, argonians will have a yellow head and a green body. In other words it is not just a grey face issue. I have two thoughts on this. One is that there is some kind of indexing system for the hue (tone) that is getting mixed up. Two is that the specular maps for heads are not matching the specular map for bodies. If your body mod has a specular map (file ends in _s) then it would stand to reason that you need to have a head mod that includes a matching specular map. It is this file that determines how the surface reflects light (this is why all the "oily" or "sweaty" skin mods are JUST a _s.dds file).

So maybe... using a face mod that includes a non-vanilla specular on one race (or just females and not males) causes the game to look for specular maps that aren't there on all other (un-modded) npcs

Just throwing ideas out there. I may do some testing, but probably not. I'm having too much fun actually playing the game to care about gray faces right now.

• 2 months later...

I get this problem with custom npcs. Using the same race does not have this problem.

I know that in the CK you can create tones and skin colors, for some reason the npc's head isn't loading that color tone. It's really irritating not being able to find a solution.

I've tried the F4, nothing. Tried creating an esm step by step. Caused huge crashes in game and redundant files.

• 9 months later...

I have been having a similar issue to this. I noticed that when in character creation, the s.dds, sk.dds (on faces only) do not load until I change the complection slider one notch. I can move the slider back and the textures are still there. Now I finish character creation, save, exit, and load game the textures are gone again.

I tested this using a sweaty s.dds texture. Not really sure if the sk.dds isn't loading, but it looks like its not. That's were the color mismatch comes in.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem as wildtangent. I've searched a lot already, but I can't find anything so far. Interestingly enough ONLY the face is affected.

Is there someone out there who has a clue of how to resolve that issue? It's driving me insane : )

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this problem for three weeks. I've reinstalled EVERYTHING even remotely related to Skyrim FOUR times. It happens on a completely vanilla game, right from the beginning. The texture difference between head and body is horrific.
I tried out some different normal maps and texture mods, ones matching both for face and body and working seamlessly for other players, and my head was still just a bit darker than my body. Always.