The Sunday discussion - Chesko

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #44169115. #44171160, #44171925 are all replies on the same post.

CptVolto wrote: Not a single question or insight concerning the entire "Paid Mods" fiasco?

Look, I like Chesko's mods as much as the next guy, but are we all really so quick to forget that he heavily took part in a spearhead movement which would have screwed both modders and the modding community as a whole in the long run.

At least a question as to "why?" would have been nice, especially now that it's months behind and hindsight can reign free.
seedannis wrote: He's already made a reddit post about that before if you really want to read it. I don't think this is necessary in this interview. It was nice to have the focus be on the mods he makes and nothing else.
archerarcher wrote: I think nearly no one cares about this cr@p anymore

He's already "explained" himself. Bethesda approached him about it, and of course he'd not turn it down, if you were in his shoes, you certainly wouldn't either; an opportunity to get paid for his work that he did for free, that would be great!

But, unfortunately, due to the terrible way that the whole paid mods thing was implemented by Valve/Bethesda, he got caught up in a bunch of this negativity, and then they pulled the plug. End of story.

You shouldn't demonize someone for taking such an opportunity, even if it was for a lost cause later on. Sometimes, s#*! happens, and Chesko is not to be blamed whatsoever for any of that mess.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #44140765. #44143535, #44156710 are all replies on the same post.

bigbull_21 wrote: Am I the only one who thought "Oh F NO they banned Chesko!?!?!?!" when they saw the headline "Sunday discussion-Chesko"

Very relieved to see that wasn't the case!
TheInquizitor wrote: You are probably the only one. What in the world made you come to that conclusion?
LuDux wrote: Hey, they banned Trainwiz once, it could happen.

I've been a member here since '06, believe me the Nexus can sometimes be like Cobra Kai- No mercy, sweep the leg, put him in a body bag Johnny!.

In response to post #44169115. #44171160, #44171925, #44172710 are all replies on the same post.

CptVolto wrote: Not a single question or insight concerning the entire "Paid Mods" fiasco?

Look, I like Chesko's mods as much as the next guy, but are we all really so quick to forget that he heavily took part in a spearhead movement which would have screwed both modders and the modding community as a whole in the long run.

At least a question as to "why?" would have been nice, especially now that it's months behind and hindsight can reign free.
seedannis wrote: He's already made a reddit post about that before if you really want to read it. I don't think this is necessary in this interview. It was nice to have the focus be on the mods he makes and nothing else.
camycamera wrote: He's already "explained" himself. Bethesda approached him about it, and of course he'd not turn it down, if you were in his shoes, you certainly wouldn't either; an opportunity to get paid for his work that he did for free, that would be great!

But, unfortunately, due to the terrible way that the whole paid mods thing was implemented by Valve/Bethesda, he got caught up in a bunch of this negativity, and then they pulled the plug. End of story.

You shouldn't demonize someone for taking such an opportunity, even if it was for a lost cause later on. Sometimes, s#*! happens, and Chesko is not to be blamed whatsoever for any of that mess.

How Chesko and some other modders were treated by the crapstorm was pretty much disgusting, seeing as it wasn't really their fault the green eyed genie was let out of the bottle by Valve/Beth, and at the worst possible deal available at that.

Chesko leaves his source files in his mods so people like me can pick at them, and takes time to point you in the right direction if you are having difficulties to an issue. I hope the support he gets from his fans keeps him working on mods, especially SSE.

Unfortunately for all you guys/gals out there, he is going to marry me, so whatever...

:)

In response to post #44169115. #44171160, #44171925, #44172710, #44174990 are all replies on the same post.

camycamera wrote: He's already "explained" himself. Bethesda approached him about it, and of course he'd not turn it down, if you were in his shoes, you certainly wouldn't either; an opportunity to get paid for his work that he did for free, that would be great!

Rigmor wrote: How Chesko and some other modders were treated by the crapstorm was pretty much disgusting, seeing as it wasn't really their fault the green eyed genie was let out of the bottle by Valve/Beth, and at the worst possible deal available at that.

Chesko leaves his source files in his mods so people like me can pick at them, and takes time to point you in the right direction if you are having difficulties to an issue. I hope the support he gets from his fans keeps him working on mods, especially SSE.

Unfortunately for all you guys/gals out there, he is going to marry me, so whatever...

I have no problem with the fact that Bethesda approached Chesko about getting paid for his mods. I consider Frostfall an essential mod for me to play Skyrim. I'd gladly pay for his mods if they were released as paid mods.

Making mods takes a lot of time and work. Sure, it is great to know that the community appreciates it. Having Bethesda approach him because of his work is, I'm sure, an honor for him. We may not all like the way that whole thing went down, but we all need to have respect and show support to all of the modders out there. Regardless of the paid mod deal, modders have made this game and many other game what they are. There are countless games out there that would not be played near as much as they are without the modders. Skyrim is one of those. Edited by Iceman8619

Tbh ive only played skyrim for about a month and have started to dl mods forabut 4 weeks. the fist 2 weeks on skyrim which i always got ctds until i figured out how to fix it. then another 2 weeks on se. ive never had even heard of names like "chesko" or others but im glad im learning about them now.

i just hope i can make a cool mod one day :3

As expected, these interviews have already turned into: "My work is incomprehensible! Wow downloads! I love my users! I love vidya games!"

This is why interviews with users who are already established are just plain boring. As I said before, you need to seek and spotlight the lesser-known creative talent, as well as the programmers whom don't get enough praise for the tools we just can't live without.

I mean, I don't hate any authors listed here obviously, but we already know what Elinora will talk about (for example). It's not like she is going to tell us that she decided to make mods after her stint of nightly crime fighting was becoming too dangerous.

Edited by SparrowPrince

In response to post #44169115. #44171160, #44171925, #44172710, #44174990, #44175880 are all replies on the same post.

Rigmor wrote: How Chesko and some other modders were treated by the crapstorm was pretty much disgusting, seeing as it wasn't really their fault the green eyed genie was let out of the bottle by Valve/Beth, and at the worst possible deal available at that.

Iceman8619 wrote: I have no problem with the fact that Bethesda approached Chesko about getting paid for his mods. I consider Frostfall an essential mod for me to play Skyrim. I'd gladly pay for his mods if they were released as paid mods.

Making mods takes a lot of time and work. Sure, it is great to know that the community appreciates it. Having Bethesda approach him because of his work is, I'm sure, an honor for him. We may not all like the way that whole thing went down, but we all need to have respect and show support to all of the modders out there. Regardless of the paid mod deal, modders have made this game and many other game what they are. There are countless games out there that would not be played near as much as they are without the modders. Skyrim is one of those.

Everyone forgets and moves on today. That's how companies like EA keep getting away with nickle and dime anti-consumer practices. But no, let's not go on about it!

Not the modder's fault? Did Bethesda hold a gun to their head? The spin is making me feel dizzy.

In response to post #44180230.

SparrowPrince wrote: As expected, these interviews have already turned into: "My work is incomprehensible! Wow downloads! I love my users! I love vidya games!"

This is why interviews with users who are already established are just plain boring. As I said before, you need to seek and spotlight the lesser-known creative talent, as well as the programmers whom don't get enough praise for the tools we just can't live without.

I mean, I don't hate any authors listed here obviously, but we already know what Elinora will talk about (for example). It's not like she is going to tell us that she decided to make mods after her stint of nightly crime fighting was becoming too dangerous.

lol