Is there anything similar to "don't call me settler"?

cossayos

Honestly, and I may be in the minority here, but I feel like the mod kind of outgrew it's original design parameters- At first, it was just a simple thing that renamed settlers, but it turned into this huge, overarching settlement management program. Personally I don't need all the extra bells and whistles, and would love to get just a stripped down version with the renaming feature standalone.

I think it's not the first mod I've seen this happen to- Build Your Own Pool started oof simple, and now it does like 36 different things- fortunately for me in that case, I never 'upgraded' past the basic functionality.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, and I may be in the minority here, but I feel like the mod kind of outgrew it's original design parameters- At first, it was just a simple thing that renamed settlers, but it turned into this huge, overarching settlement management program. Personally I don't need all the extra bells and whistles, and would love to get just a stripped down version with the renaming feature standalone.

Which was a nice gimmick, but nothing more. I very much need what you call bells and whistles since it makes settlement management that much easier. That's not bells and whistles, that's something Beth should have included in the first place. Proper warnings, automatically assign settlers to open posts, removing corpses, and most of all not having to chase around for which ressource being damaged after an attack, since they all were marked on your mini map.

Which was a nice gimmick, but nothing more. I very much need what you call bells and whistles since it makes settlement management that much easier. That's not bells and whistles, that's something Beth should have included in the first place. Proper warnings, automatically assign settlers to open posts, removing corpses, and most of all not having to chase around for which ressource being damaged after an attack, since they all were marked on your mini map.

100% agree. I guess it's not such a big deal in the vanilla game, where you're stuck with tiny settlements. But that always struck me as Beth slapping on a false limit so as to make the game more manageable on consoles. Of course, many PC players have machines that can easily handle far larger settlements, which results in said players coming to the Nexus in order to download mods that remove the population and build limits. On my last play-through, my Sanctuary covered the entire island and had more structures and a higher population than Diamond City. Managing something that size without DCMS is a nightmare.

Thing is, Bethesda clearly wants us to spend time playing around with their settlement system. They even use Preston as a game device to try and force us into settlement building. On top of that, they spurted out all those workshop DLCs (although having just downloaded a bunch of Ethreon's mods, I can't help thinking that Beth should have focused on real DLCs and left the workshop stuff to the modders). Yet in spite of all this, they have completely failed to give us the management tools necessary to enjoy the settlements. I mean, DCMS would make a better DLC than Contraptions Workship any day.

End of rant. :happy:

Edited by crawe1x

I mean, DCMS would make a better DLC than Contraptions Workship any day.

End of rant. :happy:

That's not a rant. As a matter of fact, it's the settlement building aspect I enjoy the most. Creating something where I would like to hang out for a bit and where I would feel save in this kind of environment. That's also why I put great stock in mods like singing settler or Homemaker. DCMS is the perfect finish for that. The cherry on top, so to speak. People that actually have names and obvious professions, warnings when you're under attack and the necessary tools for the aftermath without spending tons of times chasing for that one broken ressource.

On a side note, I just had that bug people ascribe to DCMS. Losing all assignments at Sunshine Tidings. Well, obviously I haven't got it installed by now, so that can't be the reason.

@damanding: I just hope that if and when a1a3a6a9 stumbles upon this thread, his shoulders aren't crushed by the sheer weight of the player community's expectations. :D There are a lot of upcoming Xmas play-throughs riding on the imminent return of his mod...

@cossayos: That's the other thing... Beth's basic settlement idea was a great one, but very poorly executed. Modders have jumped into the breach and done a fantastic job. But some of these mods, like Singing Settler and some of Akarnan's other great mods, for instance, they strike me as being extremely complex and sophisticated. Add in that people tend to update, add, and uninstall mods in the middle of play-throughs, which themselves often last for months... I mean, even an experienced mod user runs a high chance of bugs sooner or later. It's a calculated risk and one that I think is very much worth it. Of course, had Beth just done some of this stuff themselves, then maybe there would have been greater consistency and less room for conflict. Though I have to confess, many of the bugs that I personally have experienced have been down to me messing around in the console and doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. :laugh:

My current save game first got bugged by the Welcome to Goodneighbor mod and I never even got very far in the quest because it kept crashing in the same location, but that mod also bugs some settlement related stuff such as having Sanctuary appear twice in the settlement list, breaking the starting quest in Sanctuary completely, companions that are dismissed returning to their original pickup location instead of a settlement etc. I was able to work around most of it and wasn't building settlements this time around anyway. If a settlement got picked up I'd just stick one of those cheat generators up and then ignore it. But then I went through the main quest line to test out a mod that lets you go Institute but stay friends with the Railroad. Can't get past Molecular Level. Only the first part ever appears to build, none of the other relay parts are available. I have no idea if the Molecular level bug is related to that mod, I've not heard of that particular issue as one of it's problems though so it's probably a coincidence. Also, the mod author repackaged that mod recently without all the workshop related scripts so maybe it'll be less buggy? But I had already given up and uninstalled it when I discovered that. Anyway this current save game is really just too bugged to actually play, I'm just using it for mod testing purposes only for the most part. Good guinea pig save though when you really don't care. :D Funnily enough this is the first time I've had issues this bad modding a Bethesda game in two years and I break a lot of modding rules (like installing/uninstalling mods willy nilly in the middle of a save game). I guess I've just always lucked out before now. :huh:

The disappearing workplace assignments used to happen where you have a robot station and actually created robots. Same with me as of lately. My station is at sunshine tidings, and that's where I lost my assignments after creating two robots. On returning to that settlement after the facst. So this is down to Beth still not having resolved the issue. Nothing Don't Call me Settler related.

And yes, if nobody can't be arsed to do a hard save before installing a new mod, it's on them if things go downhill. I always do that and if I notice something not working as intended, I go back to my previous save after uninstalling the mod in question.

The only times I exit the game without doing a hard save is when mod testing. Otherwise, I make at bare minimum one new hard save every day that I play. If I play every evening for a week, I make a new save every evening that week. It's the only intelligent thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...