Is there anything similar to "don't call me settler"?

cossayos

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy brahmin I would not want to even build buildings and beds for 50 people much less 250. Getting 25 settlers in a place on characters with high charisma is annoying enough, my usual bunker style buildings aren't big enough for them and don't always fit in some smaller settlements. Not to mention that I then have to swap out my preferred Cozy Beds mod style beds with cots just to save room.

Holy brahmin I would not want to even build buildings and beds for 50 people much less 250. Getting 25 settlers in a place on characters with high charisma is annoying enough, my usual bunker style buildings aren't big enough for them and don't always fit in some smaller settlements. Not to mention that I then have to swap out my preferred Cozy Beds mod style beds with cots just to save room.

Using Homemaker it's pretty easy, using only bunk beds. Knowing my systems limitation though, I draw the line at 30 to 35. Settlements can get pretty vibrant that way, with abudant crops to sell on and every available shop. Not to forget the stations other mods and DLCs offer, such as the mic for singing settler or the Soda Fountain from Vault Tec.

Other mods offer bunk beds besides Homemaker and I pretty much just refuse to use Homemaker, it's too big. :D But I don't like using bunkbeds anyway because I want my settlers actually sleeping in beds. Plus I prefer the Cozy Beds mod because they have a wide variety of cute blankets.

I'll check those out. I actually downloaded a bunch of your mods recently for my current playthrough. I was planning on doing a fairly 'clean' mission-focused playthrough this time, but then I got to Red Rocket, opened up the build mode, and found my head spinning from all the new options. :D I ended up spending two nights (real time) turning Red Rocket into quite the extravaganza. So I'm both excited but also dreading what happens when I start on Sanctuary and Spectacle Island using your new toys.

It does make me wonder though. It was pretty cynical of Beth to release so many workshop DLCs, when this is something that the modding community can do so well.

Edited by crawe1x

Yeah, regarding Beth's approach to modding, they could definitely do a lot more to help and clarify. Modding is a unique selling point to their games, compared to, say, Ubisoft's very closed games. The success of Skyrim's modding scene played a big part in the commercial success of FO4. All the big YouTubers talked about the modding opportunities, so mainstream gamers were definitely aware if it. Beth themselves know this, otherwise why bother bringing mods to consoles? Given all this, it seems very short-sighted not to offer more official support to the modding community. Instead, mod authors are forced to rely on trial and error to figure things out, which can be hugely frustrating.

Going back to DCMS still working for some but not others, I would like to say that mine finally bugged out on me yesterday. Running V1.7.3 with NMM maxed at 255 active mods, 25+ settlements, several with 175-250 settlers. It has worked flawless for months though started getting slow to auto-assign jobs. Most of it is still functioning now, but is assigning 71 new settlers and a total of 230 to Guard Post every time I hit Call of the General at Nordhagen . I have come to rely on it as we all have but hard to believe it worked as long as it did. It does seem to be a cumulative effect that causes it to start bugging out but not depending on how many mods or really even conflicts. My save files are all still great, so would suggest to anyone that has a working DCMS to continue using it until it starts to bug. As popular as mod is and the fact has been hidden, the Author apparently is very dedicated and probaly trying hardest to get it fixed for us. We just have to have a lil patience

You raise some very interesting points here. DCMS may well be the culprit. I certainly agree about the cumulative effect being a factor.

However, we also need to remember that having up to 250 settlers is taking the game way, way, WAY beyond what Bethesda had in mind. In the vanilla game, for practical purposes, settlement populations maxed out in the low 20s. Now you're talking about increasing those populations by more than 1000%. In other words, the game is being forced to operate in an manner that it was never really designed to operate in and was therefore never optimized for. I wonder, the fact that you game bugged out, is it down specifically to DCMS or is it down to weaknesses in the vanilla settlement system?

I use Puma's old Increased Settler Population mod. Puma himself always warned that the settlement system could get increasingly buggy the higher the population. I previously used the 100 limit version of the mod, but I experienced on two occasions problems like the one you've described, where settlers refused to accept jobs, etc. and when they did, it would often take up to fifteen minutes for them to respond. This happened when I hit the mid-60s in headcount, so well within the limit of Puma's mod. The first time this happened to me was before DCMS was released. The second time was shortly after its release (in other words, when it was being actively supported and working for most people). So I'm not convinced that this (and similar issues) are directly or solely related to DCMS.

On my last playthrough, which lasted many months, I used the standard version of Puma's mod, which allows 50 settlers plus charisma (so you max out in the low 60s). However, I always stopped recruiting when I hit the high 40s. Honestly, this felt like more than enough. My main settlement was Sanctuary. Having close to 50 settlers, plus 20+ provisioners streaming in and out, the Bunker Hill caravans, and a bunch of crafted dogs and robots (not Automatrons but the ones from Robot Home Defence) was more than enough. It felt like a bustling community, more active than Diamond City, without being complete overkill. The only other settlements that came even close to this in terms of population (but without all the provisioners passing through) were Spectacle Island and the Castle. I kept all my other 20+ settlements relatively small (i.e. 10-20 population headcount). Using this method, I had zero problems of any kind.

Generally, with settlements, I follow a best practice approach:

1. Don't go overboard with the populations and keep well within the limits. A theoretical headcount of 60 should be treated as a practical headcount of 50.

2. I never let settlers spawn naturally. Instead, I only spawn them via the console. I then immediately assign them a job to a work station (all of which have been built beforehand). If a mission objective insists that I build a recruitment beacon, then I will do so - but I then immediately scrap it literally seconds later (pretty much instantaneous) so as to complete the mission objective but before any settlers can respond to it.

3. DCMS is a complex and script heavy mod. I only making sparing use of its functionality. I never use the more complex scripts like auto-assign settlers and Call of the General. I had problems with these commands even when DCMS was fully supported. The only commands I use regularly are Burn Baby Burn and Track Damaged Resources. Very occasionally, I may use the command to call up unassigned settlers (I don't have a need to do this often though, because nearly all my settlers are normally assigned the moment I spawn them into the game). Also, whenever I use these simpler commands, I only use them one at a time and never simultaneously.

My overall conclusion is that DCMS has the potential to cause game-breaking bugs, and that this potential may be significantly higher than that of other large complex mods. However, the chances of bugs can be hugely minimized by using some simple rules: be careful about what other mods you use alongside DCMS, keep it near the bottom of your load order, avoid pushing your game way beyond the limits (i.e. 50 settlers rather than 250), and treat DCMS with a degree of caution (i.e. don't use some of the more extreme commands and use the others carefully and sparingly).

Now having said all this, I'll probably turn on my game tonight and discover that it's totally bugged out. :laugh: And if that does happen, I'll keep it to myself and eat my humble pie well away from prying eyes. :whistling:

I would like to state I am really missing DCMS but am not faulting it in anyway. I realize I used and abused it by pushing it way past its own limits and even game limits. But at same time, that also shows how well DCMS did work. As far as 250 settlers... I agree with you, not needed and causes probs. I didnt intend on more than 100 or so myself but when just built a new settlement I had a habit of 3X settler spawn rate and would bump time scale to a day every 5 min to populate new settlement. I was dense, lol. It took a couple of settlements to realize that ALL my settlements were getting basically same amount of new settlers stead of just the one I was working on. So they kinda built up into 100+ un-assigned in other places. DCMS still worked wonders for the longest though, it would assign them all. But now that it has started glitching on me, I must agree with you on best way is to create a job, spawn a settler, assign to that task and do again, rinse and repeat. Now even manual assigning requires 1 assign and must goto another location for "resource" to be assigned, and thats 50/50 chance. Even with troubles though, I am glad to have experimented and see just how far things could be pushed. I learned alot by doing so.