Is there anything similar to "don't call me settler"?

cossayos

It's good to know that I'm not the only one. I keep DCMS at the bottom and still haven't had any issues. But, because of my opinion, I got attacked.

Yeah, it's strange how different users can have such different results with this mod. I do know DCMS conflicts with quite a few others mods (like the ones that add kids to the Commonwealth and the one that allows you to turn the Federal Ration Stockpile into a settlement). Quite a few times, I've had to choose between DCMS and some other new mod... In the end, no matter how cool the new mod looks, I always choose in favour of DCMS. It just couldn't handle settlement management without it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few new mods/updates I am waiting for before I start another play-through. I'll hold off until Xmas, but if the updated DCMS isn't available by then, I'll probably just start with my back-up copy. Seriously, it's an indispensable mod - at the very least, this is what Beth's settlement management should have been like in the base game.

I wish I had a backup. I even ran file recovery programms to see if there's anything left of it somewhere.

Yep, I've learnt the hard way. Several great mods have been taken down. Some like DCMS will hopefully be back very soon (and even better than before), others like skibadaa's weapons mods are being upgraded and re-released as we speak, and some, like Enhanced Vanilla Bodies, have disappeared without explanation and are gone forever.

I know it's a little off topic, but I wonder how paid modding - if and when it returns - will handle this kind of situation. Modders should have the freedom to remove their mods as and when they want. However, once users start paying for mods, surely there's an unspoken client-service provider contract in place? Things could get messy, unless Bethesda gets its head around these sorts of things.

Agreed. I stopped using mods because MO is going no where now and NMM just breaks things. But, I came back to mods recently, installing them manually. Anyway, I saw this thread and because of my opinion on the mod, people went after me over it. But, DCMS has never failed on me. Except when I added other types of settlement mods or if it wasn't at the bottom of the load order.Just like with SK, if it came after DCMS in my load order, I would have issues. Not sure why SK would conflict, but it did. So I learned to keep DCMS at the bottom.

Yep, I've learnt the hard way. Several great mods have been taken down. Some like DCMS will hopefully be back very soon (and even better than before), others like skibadaa's weapons mods are being upgraded and re-released as we speak, and some, like Enhanced Vanilla Bodies, have disappeared without explanation and are gone forever.

When mod authors started taking mods down during the bethesda.net mod stealing fiasco I learned the hard way as well when many of my favorite mods were no longer available. I started downloading manually everything I *might* want to use and stash them all on a backup drive. Then I can install from the backup without losing the backup. So I've now got a huge collection of mods archived on my system. It's also handy if I'm starting a new character, saves on the download time if the mod hasn't been updated since I last downloaded it. So I will always have EVB for example. It's really the best way to do it in my opinion.

The problem with DCMS, as this thread proves, is that it's such a unique mod.

When it's working properly, it fits seamlessly into the game and basically changes the entire mechanics of settlement management. That's what makes it so irreplaceable. Once you've gotten used to it, it's hard to even imagine playing without it.

Expired's UCF, for instance, is a masterly mod, but there are other companion recruitment mods out there. EVB was great, but there will always be a ton of body mods, and with the arrival of the magnificent Wonder Body, we have the most realistic female body yet. DDProductions was the first guy to crack the settlement build limits and put it in an easy-to-use package, but again, other mods have come along that now do the same thing.

DCMS started out as a relatively simple mod for renaming settlers. However, in the process, a1a3a6a9 stumbled onto a genuine modding masterpiece. I always got the impression - and I don't mean any disrespect to him - that he was as stunned as the rest of us by the end result. There were several times when he seemed to hit a steep learning curve (like that time early on when he released a major new version that overnight bugged out everyone's save games :laugh:). Anyway, hopefully he's just gone to make some fixes and learn some new tricks. With a little luck, DCMS will be back soon enough - and better than ever.

DCMS started out as a relatively simple mod for renaming settlers. However, in the process, a1a3a6a9 stumbled onto a genuine modding masterpiece. I always got the impression - and I don't mean any disrespect to him - that he was as stunned as the rest of us by the end result. There were several times when he seemed to hit a steep learning curve (like that time early on when he released a major new version that overnight bugged out everyone's save games :laugh:). Anyway, hopefully he's just gone to make some fixes and learn some new tricks. With a little luck, DCMS will be back soon enough - and better than ever.

And you know what? I'm perfectly comfortable if something like that crashes my game off and on or does something unexpected which can be rolled back by using a previous save. It's become one of my favorite mods if not the most favorite. I fully appreciate what it did only now that it's not available to me, since there are so many things I automatically do, only to notice that the R key doesn't do anything when facing an (unnamed) settler or that jumping no longer invokes the power of the general. Just to name the glaringly obvious options.

I'd wish he only had it marked experimental instead of hiding it entirely.

Edited by cossayos

Well if a mod permanently breaks a save game, taking it down until it's fixed is the only responsible thing a mod author can do. Many of us very experienced modders are comfortable with losing a save game and starting a new one when things break irreparably but there are lots of users who are deeply attached to their save games. Unfortunately many of those same users either don't read the directions/warnings carefully or don't fully understand the risks they take. If the mod is as seriously broken as it sounds like, the mod author did the right thing.

Well if a mod permanently breaks a save game, taking it down until it's fixed is the only responsible thing a mod author can do. Many of us very experienced modders are comfortable with losing a save game and starting a new one when things break irreparably but there are lots of users who are deeply attached to their save games. Unfortunately many of those same users either don't read the directions/warnings carefully or don't fully understand the risks they take. If the mod is as seriously broken as it sounds like, the mod author did the right thing.

Everybody should be used to losing a save. And I have little to no sympathy for anyone not reading at least the basics of any mod descriptions. Such as the ones still looking for cheat engine because a particular mod demanded it at one time. The mod author even pointed out that cheat engine is an adware riddled piece of garbage, but stil ... I for one steered well clear.

Also this mod wasn't seriously broken. It never did any irreparable damage to any of my saves. I've got all DLCs and have about 60 active mods. I also used this mod since it first came out, constantly upgrading it to it's last version. Maybe it was responsible for some CTDs, maybe it wasn't. I wouldn't know, but it's advantages far outweighed every possible messup at my end. I rather think, these guys indeed didn't read the requirements and descriptions and just installed something that didn't agree with the setup.

As far as being attached to saves is concerned. Well, everyone can do a hard save at certain stages. Such as when they decide on installing additional mods or reaching certain fork points in the game.

Edited by cossayos