[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Regarding the engine, this is a pretty good read, make sure to take a look at comments as well.

As for magazines system it'd be tricky to implement indeed. I would be happy with what the mod linked above offers. Multiple ammo types would be great but considering the games' shortcomings in this area I'm okay with AP/JHP/whatever weapon mods instead.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that would be an interesting thing to ask Isathar about; I wonder if he's thought about it. There's definitely a lot of logic needed there that just doesnt exist yet.

There's a similar mod for energy weapons called Fusion Cells are Batteries (can't remember the author atm). It basically applies the logic of fusion cores to normal cells. It seems to be implemented well, and I plan on using it along with wars but it edits the weapon records (I think, can't remember exactly again) so it would need a patch to work properly.

Regarding the engine, this is a pretty good read, make sure to take a look at comments as well.

As for magazines system it'd be tricky to implement indeed. I would be happy with what the mod linked above offers. Multiple ammo types would be great but considering the games' shortcomings in this area I'm okay with AP/JHP/whatever weapon mods instead.

Read through some of it and so far it's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to try and read through more of it later on today.

Edited by TacticalOchoa

What purpose does JHP (Jacketed hollow-point) ammo even serve? The point of hollow-point ammo is to maximize trauma and eliminate overpenetration,at the expense of making it impossible to penetrate armour. It sounds like it'd be "reinforced",so to speak,so it can punch through light armour,but that would mean its less effective at inflicting trauma than a straight-up hollow-point.

What purpose does JHP (Jacketed hollow-point) ammo even serve? The point of hollow-point ammo is to maximize trauma and eliminate overpenetration,at the expense of making it impossible to penetrate armour. It sounds like it'd be "reinforced",so to speak,so it can punch through light armour,but that would mean its less effective at inflicting trauma than a straight-up hollow-point.

Well, it won't do any damage at all if it can't get through the armor in the first place right? More seriously, jackets help with a lot of things other than terminal ballistics. Almost any modern bullet will have some kind of jacket, and the vast majority of those will be copper. It is much harder than lead, resulting in very little deformation from engaging the rifling in the barrel leading to better accuracy. In high velocity rounds like 5.56, a jacket is absolutely necessary as a purely lead bullet would have a chance of breaking apart in the barrel or during flight. It's also fairly corrosion-resistant for good long-term storage. JHP is mostly for use in semi-auto guns as it feeds much more reliably than lead-tipped, and gives reduced fouling as there's no bare lead to come off in the barrel. I don't know if it has reduced expansion compared to bare lead; my guess would be the same or very slightly worse performance.

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by kuzi127

I think that would be an interesting thing to ask Isathar about; I wonder if he's thought about it. There's definitely a lot of logic needed there that just doesnt exist yet.

I have considered suggesting it to isathar; ammo and magazines as discrete objects does seem like it could be a natural extension to what AmmoTweaks does. Since I'm hanging out for the pending AmmoTweaks update though I kind of didn't want to suggest a potentially distracting shiny new set of features. ;) Especially something as complicated as this. But hey, yeah; I'll probably mention it along with the scattered ideas I've had on it.

As an update:

Stats for the Tesla Rifle, Gauss Rifle, Lever RIfle, Railway Rifle, Fat Man and Flamer are done now.

The Gauss Rifle is named the M76 Gauss Rifle, after the M72 Gauss Rifle from FO2 and Fallout Tactics, since both weapons use the same 2mm EC ammo.

The Lever Rifle is the Marlin 1895G - "Mare's Leg" or "Guide Gun" depending on how it's configured.

Believe it or not, I didn't find a Railway Rifle in my sole playthrough of FO4 so far, so this is my first time really looking at it. I didn't realise that with the "Reflex" sight, Bethsoft did the same thing I did with the "Precision Sights" for the Minigun. (The two-part "German" reticle thing.) Weird coincidence.

The Fat Man is named the M42 Fat Man - from Fallout lore, the weapon's full official name being the "M42 Tactical Nuclear Catapult".

I'm calling the Flamer the FT13 Flamethrower, as "FT13" is stamped on its side - simple as that. I've given it similar behaviour to the Flamer in Unbogus Ranged, so it now has better range, its flames coming out in a stream that's affected by gravity. It sets surfaces on fire for a little while too, which is supposed to burn anyone who steps in it. I'm not sure so far, as it didn't do anything to me when I stepped in flames I'd sprayed out. That's possibly by design on Bethsoft's part though... which is kind of annoying if true. From my quick tests it was a little hard to tell if it was affecting NPCs, as they were sensibly avoiding stepping in the fire.

Anyway... I think I'll do the Harpoon Gun next. The Missile Launcher is the only Heavy weapon left after that... though I still need to overhaul explosives generally.