[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

1) Damage scales positively with barrel length

2) Weight and durability scale negatively with barrel length

3) Charge time negatively scales with barrel length

Some good ideas. I'm always for having to choose between upgrades with positive and negative attributes as opposed to the really bland "costs more but is better at everything" approach. However modifying the gauss model to actually have an extended barrel might be kind of annoying; might I suggest calling it "dense accelerators" or something like that? You'd still have the logic and science behind it but no changes to the model would be needed.

Antistar, what's your opinion on broken/makeshift attachments as weapon mods? Deadpool's new service rifle reminded me how much I like them. It's something you don't generally see and I find it adds some authenticity, at least from a lore/logical standpoint. Most people in the wasteland probably wouldn't be running around with weapons that are in pristine condition 200 years after production stopped. Unless of course there's someone like the gun runners around to produce new stuff, but it'd still be pretty rare.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this still work in progress?

if so i cant wait

it looks fun

Yes, still hard at work on this. Currently working on the assets for the SA80, which is planned to be the last new weapon I'm adding for the initial release of WARS. Modelling for the L86 barrel/forend is nearly finished; I'm doing the high-poly at the moment. After that there's just the bayonet.

After the SA80 I still need to do a bunch of other plugin work though; notably the AmmoTweaks integration, once its update is out. I'm also waiting on some animations; mainly for the Thompson SMG and the Barrett M107.

Well,I think we've already settled on the Gauss being impossible to truly suppress; You simply cannot hide a projectile ripping through the air at Mach 20. We've also noted that the Gauss will probably hit like a possessed freight train. So...

1) Damage scales positively with barrel length. A Gauss gun operates by throwing a projectile through a series of electromagnetic accelerators. The longer the barrel,the more damage it'll deal,because it holds more accelerators,however...

2) Weight and durability scale negatively with barrel length. A longer barrel with more magnets in it means a LOT more mass,and the faster the projectile rips through this thing,the more wear it'll inflict upon the weapon with each shot. Realistically,a point will be reached where you need to simply replace the entire barrel with each shot.

3) Charge time negatively scales with barrel length. Simply put,you have more accelerators to energize,so it'll take longer to get the job done.

In essence,with a Gauss,the barrel is everything. As such,to get meaningful tactical choice for modifications in the Gauss,a large variety of barrels with different attributes will be required.

1) It's basically already set up like this, though it's capacitor numbers/quality rather than barrel length, since there aren't assets for different barrel lengths.

2) Weight is already set up like that, but durability is an AmmoTweaks thing, so I haven't got to that yet. I can easily imagine it feeling bad to put more resources into a weapon and have it become less durable though, so I don't know about that.

3) I might be able to do this. I've made a note of it.

Generally, from memory I've got the Gauss Rifle pitched as the Energy weapon equivalent of the Barrett M107 (though it does a bit less damage); an anti-materiel rifle.

Antistar, what's your opinion on broken/makeshift attachments as weapon mods? Deadpool's new service rifle reminded me how much I like them. It's something you don't generally see and I find it adds some authenticity, at least from a lore/logical standpoint. Most people in the wasteland probably wouldn't be running around with weapons that are in pristine condition 200 years after production stopped. Unless of course there's someone like the gun runners around to produce new stuff, but it'd still be pretty rare.

My opinion on it is that it's another thing that would be pretty cool to have, but that I'm unfortunately unlikely to ever have time to do - especially for multiple weapons.

I saw that pop up, yeah. The video looks cool, though the tracer effects were maybe a little exaggerated and it's a shame that the ricochet direction is apparently random and does no damage. I'd love to have proper ricochets (and penetration!) in the game though.

In any case, I'm still planning to use AmmoTweaks (once the update is out) in WARS, and it edits projectiles in a similar fashion to BLE.

Since the mod will be including changes to the Lever-Action Rifle,Radium Rifle,and Handmade Rifle,it's safe to assume you'll need it all; Antistar has said multiple times that he won't be making multiple versions,because all that does is artificially multiply his workload with very little payoff. "Hell is other versions." as he's said multiple times.

WARS edits all weapons, so any DLC that includes weapons is a requirement. The same goes for DLC including NPCs/creatures/etc that needed to have their HP values edited. So at the moment, that's:

- Automatron
- Far Harbor
- Nuka-World
- Wasteland Workshop

In addition, since AmmoTweaks will be a requirement, WARS will inherit its requirements. I don't know for sure what those will be, though I imagine Contraptions would be the most likely extra one there.

SA80 update: the high and low-poly models are done for the L86 barrel/forend. I'm working on the UVs now.

It also occurred to me this morning that I can probably give the L86 Barrel attach points for the laser sight and tactical light after all. (But not the vertical fore-grip.) The L86 forend doesn't have picatinny rails, but I could have one screwed to the underside of the support girder (kind of where the bipod would go if we could use them in FO4) for the laser sight to attach to. (I'd only have the rail there if the laser sight is currently attached.) The tactical light can probably attach to the barrel with a double ring mount, like it's set up on the USAS-12 for example.

• 2 weeks later...