⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Greetings antistar, I've been following this mod for some time now, it seems quite great.

Since you said that you now have started (or continued) working on the SA80, I figure this is a decent time to ask this.

Will the SA80 have its bayonet available as a weapon mod?

I quite like bullpups and bayonets, so will it be possible to combine the two?

I'm guessing the bayonet model and texture would have to be done from scratch, I don't think I have ever seen an SA80 bayonet resource anywhere,

so I can't blame you if you don't think it's worth including.

(In fact, I don't think i have ever seen an SA80 bayonet in any other game either actually, not that that fact matters.)

(Though I haven't exactly searched extensively for one, there might be one somewhere.)

Another question relating to bayonets, will they be available as separate melee weapons, like in the AKM mod or most of asXas' weapon mods?

I'm guessing no, but I might as well ask.

Either way, fantastic work on everything I've seen of this mod.

The SA80 bayonet is such a weird-looking thing. It's the only bayonet I know of that actually fits right into vanilla FO4's "turns out bayonets are muzzle devices, who knew" weapon mod setup, since it fits over the muzzle.

There's actually already an SA80 mod out there for FO4 - using some of the same resources I am - and it has the SA80 bayonet in it. It's apparently from the as-of-yet still unreleased Gunslinger mod for STALKER Call of Pripyat. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask permission to include it in WARS too.

Currently the weapons I've added to WARS that have bayonets have the "M2 Bayonet" - basically the vanilla bayonet based on the Combat Knife, so that can already be used as a separate melee weapon obviously - and the M7 Bayonet. I might add it as a separate melee weapon; not sure yet. A while back I tried to see if melee weapons could be set as loose mods - so that you could attach/detach a bayonet from a weapon and use it separately - but from memory it didn't work at all. Not surprising really, since then they'd need to handle what would happen if the weapon-as-loose-mod had its own weapon mods attached...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back I tried to see if melee weapons could be set as loose mods - so that you could attach/detach a bayonet from a weapon and use it separately - but from memory it didn't work at all. Not surprising really, since then they'd need to handle what would happen if the weapon-as-loose-mod had its own weapon mods attached...

I thought asXas' Garand had that feature? Or does it only work to attach, then you lose it and just get a generic attachment when you take it off? That could probably be handled with a basic script to replace the bayonet attachment item with the actual bayonet whenever it enters the inventory. Probably.

While I can't check it myself right now (because my graphics card is borked), I'm pretty well sure it only works when attaching it the first time,

then it becomes a loose misc/mod(s) section mod, not usable as a weapon

(The bayonet in the garand mod, I'm also quite sure this holds true for all of asXas' mods and the akm mod I mentioned).

However, as you said, I'd imagine this would be doable with scripting, I have no idea how difficult or worth it it would be though.

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Yeah, I believe you can set pretty much whatever item you want as a component in a crafting recipe, but omod records only allow MiscItems to be set as their loose mods. So you could initially craft a bayonet attachment with a weapon as an "ingredient", but as mentioned, when you detach it you get a MiscItem loose mod back.

Some kind of scripted approach to swap that loose mod for a detached bayonet weapon is possible of course, but then what do you do about any modifications the detached bayonet itself may or may not have had? It quickly becomes more complicated, so while it would be cool to have and I'll give it some thought, it's a small feature in the grand scheme of things, so it may not happen.

Can you believe that I can not stop watching the videos of hitman? and more precisely of the M4 / Ar15, there is a lot of desire to have their weapons in fallout4 :-)

Thinking about the bayonet thing again. Perhaps the modification problem could be solved on the attachment side, not the detachment side. Have the script be something like; if bayonet is used for attachment, detach all modifications and put in player inventory. If modifications include basic blade, then delete that one.

Then have another script that just adds a standard, unmodded bayonet to the inventory when it is removed.

I mean, it leaves it up to the player to put them back on, but at least they don't disappear or cost additional resources.

Edited by jkruse05

I don't know that I'd be that keen to have bayonets be attached with a script rather than through the usual interface. Another special-cased thing, another hot-key or alternate trigger method for the player to keep track of, etc. It is a possibility that I'll keep in mind though; thanks.

Speaking of bayonets, I gained permission to use the SA80 L3A1 bayonet assets I mentioned earlier, which is good news. I will probably edit the mesh a little and give it a new high-poly and new textures, though.

Work on the SA80 in general is in full swing. The high-poly for the L22A2 barrel/forend is almost finished; just need to give it a few floaters. It's probably the most complex piece I need to make myself for the SA80 in WARS, so it's good to get it out of the way.

I'm actually thinking of including the 1989 and 1994 prototype L22 barrel/forends as well, since they're mostly made up of pieces I'll need to make for the L86 barrel/forend/etc anyway. (See this article for pictures of the various L22 variants I'm talking about.) The different L22 variants would make for a good spread of features across "short barrel" weapon mods for the SA80. With and without vertical foregrip, with and without side rails (for the laser sight and tactical light).

I'm trying to work out how I'll handle the naming scheme for the different variants, though. This is my current plan:

XL22 Carbine - A1/A2 receiver, 1989/1994 prototype carbine barrel/forend

L22A1 Carbine - A1 receiver, L22A2 barrel/forend

L22A2 Carbine - A2 receiver, L22A2 barrel/forend

L85A1 Assault Rifle - A1 receiver, A1/A2 barrel/forend

L85A2 Assault Rifle - A2 receiver, A1/A2 barrel/forend

L86A1 LSW - A1 receiver, L86 barrel/forend

L86A2 LSW - A2 receiver, L86 barrel/forend

As far as I know however, "L22A1" was not used officially for anything; only L22A2. The L22 prototypes weren't given designations. There were XL85 and XL86 experimental versions though, so using "X" seems fitting.

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions/suggestions/etc on that, I'd like to know what you think.

Oh, I didn't mean it would be attached through a different interface, just that you could make the script remove any attachments on the bayonet and give them to the player when it is used through the normal interface.

Ah, okay. I don't actually know if it's possible to do that at the moment of attaching the bayonet (the bayonet in the form of a weapon) - when it's consumed as a component. I mean it could be possible - I've mostly tried to avoid dealing with FO4 scripting. (I hate scripting. ;))

Alternatively you could maybe do something like remove any omods attached to any bayonets in the player's inventory when they enter the weapon modification menu, and then re-attach them as appropriate when they exit it... but man that sounds like an incredible pain to implement, with its own set of problems. I'll still keep it in mind, but as kind of a minor feature it's a low priority unless it's easy to do.

Further on the naming scheme for the SA80: Looks like developmental/experimental/whatever versions of the L85 for example were given the XL85E1, E2, etc designation, so for the carbine variants I may go with:

XL22E1 Carbine - A1/A2 receiver, 1989 prototype carbine barrel/forend

XL22E2 Carbine - A1/A2 receiver, 1994 prototype carbine barrel/forend

L22A1 Carbine - A1 receiver, L22A2 barrel/forend

L22A2 Carbine - A2 receiver, L22A2 barrel/forend

Not exactly true to life I'm sure, but close enough for what I want to do in WARS.

Greetings again antistar, I just read post #1327 fully (I just skimmed it earlier), so, nice to hear that you got permission. :smile:

In regards to the bayonet weapon and weapon mod conversation, I personally would advocate for separate bayonet weapons even if it's an unscripted integation, I'm used to such from a lot of other mods.

Would the M7 and (SA80) L3A1 bayonets, if they were available as separate weapons, have any weapon mods themselves?

Because if they didn't, that would from what I'm hearing (reading), simplify any potential scripting.

Though one would then either have to remove any weapon modding potential on the combat knife, or just accept that inconsistency,

which I would be able to, but I don't know how common that sentiment is/would be.

Ultimately, of course, I'm speaking out of ignorance here, and it's not my choice to make anyway.

Now, I have some other questions regarding the SA80.

(Sorry if I'm being too interrogative here or too early for any solid answers, as I said, I like bullpups, and the SA80 is the one such gun in this mod, so I'm quite interested in it.)

Is the L123A2 / AG36 underbarrel for the SA80 still something that's going to happen?

Will the SA80 be as customizable as the AR-15, excluding the buttstock?

This is a pretty specific one, which fore-ends will have accessory rails?

Regardless, great work on all this.

Edited by Tenurialrope3