[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Are we gonna get a standalone version of the Mini-14 to futz around with? I'm just so grossed out by the Combat Rifle at this juncture

Sorry; hell is alternate versions. :wink: Give it time, though; as mentioned, someone else may split the weapons off into standalone mods once WARS is out.

I do want to say that I encourage people to make add-on patches for WARS (once it finally gets out there) to tweak it to be more to their liking. Standalone weapon mods too if they don't want to use WARS itself, though of course I'd prefer it if everyone subscribed to my Glorious Modder's Vision and just used WARS as-is. :wink:

Things have been busy in my world lately so I haven't had much to report; feels like there's been a lot of (required, but still) behind-the-scenes wrangling without tons of forward movement on content or whatever to go with it. That's just modding/game development sometimes, though.

That said, the stats for all the melee weapons are finished; that's kind of a big deal actually. It means that stat-wise there's just the stuff relating to the AmmoTweaks integration and then some explosives tweaks to go.

I've merged in Hitman's right-handed animations for the Lever Rifle and Hunting Rifle, along with doing the reload sounds for the latter. (The Lever Rifle didn't need new ones.)

I'm in the process of merging/adapting Tactical Attachment System into WARS, thanks to Kaelle generously allowing me to do so. In short this will let you attach/detach certain weapon mods when out in the field - but not craft new ones. Only the weapon mods that make sense in this context; scopes, muzzle devices, magazines, bayonets, laser sights, tactical lights, etc. Anything that just clamps or screws on.

This is pretty important considering WARS' focus on realistic weight values; it'll mean that you can just carry one weapon plus a reflex sight and a scope for it, for example - rather than one weapon with a reflex sight and another weapon with a scope.

Also, I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but I'm thinking of having suppressors speed up durability loss on semi/auto weapons (since they apparently cause a lot of propellant gas to be vented back into the action of those weapons, fouling them up), making it important to be able to remove a suppressor when you don't need it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we gonna get a standalone version of the Mini-14 to futz around with? I'm just so grossed out by the Combat Rifle at this juncture

Sorry; hell is alternate versions. :wink: Give it time, though; as mentioned, someone else may split the weapons off into standalone mods once WARS is out.

I do want to say that I encourage people to make add-on patches for WARS (once it finally gets out there) to tweak it to be more to their liking. Standalone weapon mods too if they don't want to use WARS itself, though of course I'd prefer it if everyone subscribed to my Glorious Modder's Vision and just used WARS as-is. :wink:

Things have been busy in my world lately so I haven't had much to report; feels like there's been a lot of (required, but still) behind-the-scenes wrangling without tons of forward movement on content or whatever to go with it. That's just modding/game development sometimes, though.

That said, the stats for all the melee weapons are finished; that's kind of a big deal actually. It means that stat-wise there's just the stuff relating to the AmmoTweaks integration and then some explosives tweaks to go.

I've merged in Hitman's right-handed animations for the Lever Rifle and Hunting Rifle, along with doing the reload sounds for the latter. (The Lever Rifle didn't need new ones.)

I'm in the process of merging/adapting Tactical Attachment System into WARS, thanks to Kaelle generously allowing me to do so. In short this will let you attach/detach certain weapon mods when out in the field - but not craft new ones. Only the weapon mods that make sense in this context; scopes, muzzle devices, magazines, bayonets, laser sights, tactical lights, etc. Anything that just clamps or screws on.

This is pretty important considering WARS' focus on realistic weight values; it'll mean that you can just carry one weapon plus a reflex sight and a scope for it, for example - rather than one weapon with a reflex sight and another weapon with a scope.

Also, I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but I'm thinking of having suppressors speed up durability loss on semi/auto weapons (since they apparently cause a lot of propellant gas to be vented back into the action of those weapons, fouling them up), making it important to be able to remove a suppressor when you don't need it.

"Fix bayonets!" <Futzes around with a crafting menu for a solid minute>

Still,an excellent thing to hear. A versatile arsenal,without having to lug around an entire squadron's service rifles.

I feel like having so many mods availabe can be a burden sometimes; good ones like that just get lost in the pile. Had no idea it existed. It'll be interesting to see how well WARS plays with Pack Attack with all that scripting going on.

If you mean the scripting in TAS, its scripts only run when you use the toolkit, as far as I can see - so that shouldn't be a problem. (Incidentally in WARS I may call the toolkit a "Weapon Modification Kit"... for old times' sake. ;))

This will be the first substantial scripting added to WARS, actually. Until now there's just been a single small quest fragment script to handle one of the perk changes.

AmmoTweaks will involve a lot of scripting I'm sure... though again I'd imagine they'd only be running when you're actively switching ammo types or fire-modes or whatever.

Hey Antistar i got a question, why did you chose the Usas 12 instead of other automatic shotguns, like the AA-12?

The WARS readme will describe why I chose the weapons I did, so I'll quote the draft for that (including the bit on the Mini-14 as the USAS-12 description follows on from that):

Mini-14
(Replaces the Combat Rifle)

The Combat Rifle is an indistinct mash-up, looking sort of - but not really - like parts of several different real-world guns. And despite being called a rifle, by default it uses .45 ACP - a pistol cartridge - though you can somehow transform it to use .308; a (much larger) rifle cartridge, without changing its appearance in the process. Overall it's akin to - when making a racing game - adding a generic, nondescript motorbike, naming it "motor car", and letting you swap out its motorbike tyres for truck tyres if you like.

When faced with such a weird chimera of a gun, it was hard to know exactly what to replace it with. I went with the Mini-14 because it has a similar wood-and-steel aesthetic to the vanilla Combat Rifle, it fits the American setting quite well, it's actually a rifle - perhaps even a "combat rifle" - and it would be another weapon using the 5.56x45mm cartridge; surprisingly under-utilised in FO4.

USAS-12
(Replaces the Combat Shotgun)

The Combat Shotgun's model is almost identical to the Combat Rifle, which is pretty damning all on its own. So now it's like a generic, nondescript motorbike named "motor car" that uses drag-racing tyres or something, I don't know.

Magazine-fed, semi/auto combat shotguns aren't particularly common, so as with the Combat Rifle, what to replace the Combat Shotgun with wasn't immediately obvious. The USAS-12 *is* a magazine-fed, semi/auto combat shotgun, and beat out the Saiga-12 for inclusion in WARS as the Saiga-12 closely resembles the (Russian) AK platform, while the USAS-12 somewhat resembles the (American) AR-15 platform. That made it a better fit for Fallout's very American setting, I thought.

The AA-12 was another consideration, but I included an AA-12 in optional add-ons for both Weapon Mod Kits (WMK, for FO3) and Weapon Mods Expanded (WMX, for FNV), so I felt like a change this time. Plus, the USAS-12 was easier to create multiple weapon mods for.

I'm about to go through and define which weapon mods the Weapon Modification Kit works with (which is done simply by adding the loose mods to a formlist). Like I said earlier this will broadly-speaking be the following:

- Magazines

- Muzzle devices

- Under-barrel attachments like bayonets, laser sights and tactical lights

- Sights and scopes

- Basically anything that can be attached/detached by hand or with a collection of small, simple tools. E.g. screwdriver, adjustable wrench, small punch - or maybe a multitool like a leatherman.

That last one means the WMK will also work with weapon mods like the shell holder on the Mossberg 590 and Marlin 1985G, mag-pulls on the AR-15 and Mini-14, and even certain barrels like the Glock barrels since those can be changed by hand.

So if anyone has a good knowledge of the firearms being included in WARS (lookin' at you, kuzi127) and feels like letting me know if certain not-immediately-obvious weapon mods can be swapped out by hand, that would be great. If it would take a vice to do then that's too much, but yeah - by hand or with a small set of common tools seems reasonable.

(Incidentally, to get the WMK's weight - 0.8 lb - I just weighed a six-in-one screwdriver and a small adjustable wrench, then rounded it up a bit to account for the bag it's stored in, as I'm using the Military Ammo Bag asset for it.)

I'm about to go through and define which weapon mods the Weapon Modification Kit works with (which is done simply by adding the loose mods to a formlist). Like I said earlier this will broadly-speaking be the following:

- Magazines

- Muzzle devices

- Sights and scopes

- Basically anything that can be attached/detached by hand or with a collection of small, simple tools. E.g. screwdriver, adjustable wrench, small punch - or maybe a multitool like a leatherman.

That last one means the WMK will also work with weapon mods like the shell holder on the Mossberg 590 and Marlin 1985G, mag-pulls on the AR-15 and Mini-14, and even certain barrels like the Glock barrels since those can be changed by hand.

So if anyone has a good knowledge of the firearms being included in WARS (lookin' at you, kuzi127) and feels like letting me know if certain not-immediately-obvious weapon mods can be swapped out by hand, that would be great. If it would take a vice to do then that's too much, but yeah - by hand or with a small set of common tools seems reasonable.

(Incidentally, to get the WMK's weight - 0.8 lb - I just weighed a six-in-one screwdriver and a small adjustable wrench, then rounded it up a bit to account for the bag it's stored in, as I'm using the Military Ammo Bag asset for it.)

There are many guns that can be taken apart with a simple Allen wrench. I don't know if any are in WARS,but I know they exist.

- Magazines

- Muzzle devices

- Sights and scopes

There are many guns that can be taken apart with a simple Allen wrench. I don't know if any are in WARS,but I know they exist.

A large number of 20th century military firearms, and possibly modern ones, were designed to be disassembled with nothing more than the bullet it fires. Getting specific, however, is beyond my knowledge.

Hello Antistar, I saw the video of the final animation of the SA80 hitman and in a comment said something that this year will be ready WARS, you confirm it?