[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any updates or progress? I like hearing about how things are going

I was thinking it was about time for that. ;)

The L86 barrel/forend UVs are done now. They were pretty complex, like the rest of it. Again though, at least the handguard is also used for one of the L22 barrel/forends. I've done that L86 wire flip-up stock thing too; can't remember if I mentioned that.

I also did end up doing what I was talking about in my last post re: making it possible to attach the laser sight and tactical light to the L86 barrel.

Now I'm working on the L3A1 bayonet. The low and high-poly models are done; I'm doing the UVs now. It's based on the assets from the Gunslinger mod for STALKER Call of Pripyat, ported to FO4 by conn08 here. I ended up editing the model a fair bit though, and made a new high-poly for it (in advance of giving it new textures). I gave the model some more detail (especially the handle) but also optimised it, so in the end it has a lower triangle count but more detailed geometry. I'll be packing the UVs more efficiently too, so the textures should be more detailed as well.

So that's nearly finished. After that there'll be a little clean-up work to do on Tigg's textures for the base L85, before I bring it all into Substance Painter to do the texturing, finally. Tigg's texture work itself is great, it's just that there are a few minor errors like the selector being marked "SAFE" and "FIRE" when on the SA80 it's actually "R" and "A" - for semi ("repeat" I guess) and auto. The safety is elsewhere. He's also given the mag release on the A1 receiver the shield that wasn't added until the A2. I'll need to remove that and touch up the texture a bit. Just small things like that.

Oh - he does like to hide little in-jokes in the textures too. And I mean they're funny and all, but I think they're more aimed at people like me who are looking closely at the textures themselves than they are at the player. They're in places you wouldn't normally get a good look at in your average FPS - e.g. on the right side of the receiver. In FO4 though you can closely examine a weapon from all angles if you want, so... I'll need to edit those out. (Sorry Tigg.)

As it was me who started the recent bayonet discussion, I'll say I'm quite happy that the L85 bayonet is getting implemented. :smile:

Follow-up question regarding the L123A2 / AG36 animations: I'm assuming you have asked around among the Fo4 mod animators?

From what I've seen and read, this mod already uses animations from both Hitman and WarDaddy (is there some other animator(s) I'm missing in this?),

so I would've thought that the L123A2 animations wouldn't be any issue?

(Apologies if this comment sounds arrogant or aggressive, that was not my intent, sorry if it reads like that.)

Edited by Tenurialrope3

So far the animations have been done by Hitman (and he has done the majority of them), War Daddy and Ha_ru. They do what they want to do though, obviously - and what they have time for, etc.

The SA80 L123A2 under-barrel grenade launcher would be great to get in there properly - I'd love for it to get animations - but it would take a fair bit of work to animate. Different animations are required for attached but in normal fire mode and attached but in launcher mode.

I think I've covered all this before, but for now the launcher is in there - with placeholder assets (correct dimensions for animating, but not pretty) - but not available to the player. If someone gets time to do animations for it (which would be awesome), I'll fix up the models and textures like I've been doing with the other SA80 stuff recently.

Yes, the L85 UGL animations would be quite a bit of work, more than what *I* misguessed when I wrote my previous comment.

And if they don't have time, or don't want to do it, that's quite reasonable.

A sad, but understandable situation then. Very well.

Sidenote: which animations did Ha_ru do for this? I'd try to search myself, but I have no idea where to start.

Edit:

Sorry if I sounded dismissive or seeming like I'm taking anyone's work for granted, that wasn't my intended message, but I can see how it probably came out like that.

My apologies.

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Sidenote: which animations did Ha_ru do for this? I'd try to search myself, but I have no idea where to start.

So far Ha_ru has done the third-person animations for the Handmade AKM, Mini-14 and R700 Rifle (Hunting Rifle). Hitman did the first-person animations for those.

This is very impressive professionalism you have here, antistar!

I don't know what I did to be accused of professionalism, but thanks. ;)