Creation Kit - Today?

barthigi

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You maybe able to wait, but to be honest, Skyrim is very much like Oblivion where although it is a good game, it simply feels incomplete without mods. Frankly, there is a lot in this game that needs mods, and a lot that could really benefit from friendly tweaking.

Not to mention the sooner those Total Revamp mods get started on creating whole new worlds the better! :thumbsup:

For all those mad at Bethesda for saying soon for the CK - Beth isn't the only one that does this sort of thing; Look at Blizzard and its history. Hell Blizz had to make a joke page for the word 'Soon' just to get people off their tail and many other companies point to this page too just to give themselves some breathing room. Edited by Budz42

Just saw a tweet on the steam forum bethblog someone from bethesda apparently was answering a question from someone on tweeter regarding the release date of the ck and they tweeted that the ck will be released towards the end of this month.This was posted 8hrs ago.

Right when I have final exams? Oh great.

Bethesda. I absolutely hate you right now.

Protip: Make your mods now, perfect them with CK.

Why bother learning more than necessary?

Besides, I bet your scripts are all amazing, since SKyrim uses a new scripting language as far as I know. And in case you didn't know: Scripting is a big part of any decent mods.

That said: Patience guys. We've waited since November, we can certainly wait a few more weeks :thumbsup:

Edited by Matth85

Is'nt the new scripting language a something close to the java language? Could be me mixing up. Anyways, using tessnip and making mods that way is still good, your learn a little modding behind the curtains if you catch my drift. And to be honest, this is very subjective, but knowledge, be it something you need or not need is still good, i can't say if it's going to be important to know tessnip and how to mod with it, but im very sure that any inexperienced modder will have a good background when the ck is out, at least thats what i feel, i always waited for the CK/G.E.C.K in earlier games, but this time i wanted to start early, it's really a lot of things your learn from it.

As i said, it's up to each induvidual if they want that knowledge or not. I just think that the background knowledge for an inexperienced modder would be a kickstart for the CK, but maybe not so much for an experienced modder.

For the scripting part i would say that is completely subjective, i have seen a lot of great mods without a heavy scripting base that is very good. Cell creation, armors, weapons and so on does not always need scripting unless you are making new quests, dialogues etc.

Im only experienced with action scripting from the aurora toolset, but i could work a lot in that toolset without even touching scripting, it was only the parts where i wanted characters to for example approach the player at a certain point and....dance while yelling "peekaboo"?...or making new triggers also needed some scripting.

I also made my own personal mods for oblivion and morrowind without the need to script, it depends on what kind of mods you make.

But again, i do not know how much skyrim will realy on scripting, but i doubt it will be a necessity to make a good mod.

From what I heard, it is a form of java, and object oriented ! :dance: Supports arrays, loops and much more!

Scripting is not necessary to make a great mod... A 'great' mod is subjective but I definitely love to see some ingenious and clever applications of programming. That being said if you can script, like myself, you most definitely have an advantage. I'm hoping to really delve into the scripting and seeing what they have to offer!

but im very sure that any inexperienced modder will have a good background when the ck is out,

You got the CS for Oblivion and Morrowind, and also Fallout 3 and New Vegas, to work with if you are new too toolkits.

Also, not every modder is new. Majority is older modders that grinds their teeth because of things they want to fix asap.

For the scripting part i would say that is completely subjective, i have seen a lot of great mods without a heavy scripting base that is very good. Cell creation, armors, weapons and so on does not always need scripting unless you are making new quests, dialogues etc.

The top mods have always been: Nude mods, Heavy scripted mods ( Midas Magic) and overhauls. On rare occasion some good armor sets and weapons hit the top 100, like the brilliant Lich King armor for Oblivion.

also made my own personal mods for oblivion and morrowind without the need to script, it depends on what kind of mods you make.

Again, not everybody makes small mods for themself. The big 1+ year mods are waiting for the CK to start smacking things together. There is no easy way for a team of 10-15 people to use different tools all the time, they need 1 tool.

But again, i do not know how much skyrim will realy on scripting, but i doubt it will be a necessity to make a good mod.

Scripting is important. Making a good custom armor set is nothing but boring if you can buy them or they just sit in front of you. Look at the Paladin armor for Oblivion: It had an amazing quest with it.

Also, quest mods are really needed. It can add depth to the game that is missing, or fill in gaps Bethesda forgot. A quest is 95% scripts, by the way,

Lastly, every mod that wants to overhaul certain aspect, like Vampirism and Werewolf, rely heavily on scriptings. The same does anybody thinking on getting new kinds of weapons in.

Generally, you do need scripting. I am not saying you can't mod without it, or you can't make a good mod without it, but it does help more than you give it credit for.

But now we are going off track here.