I just cannot believe how bad the performance is...

Mitigate

Personally to me, it sounds like perhaps you are having a cell draw issue.

I've had it, and I like to believe I have a fairly robust AMD rig that I built on a budget. (FX 8350 black OC'd to 4.5Ghz, and liquid cooled, R9 390, 16Gb 1600, 800w psu, 10k raptor hdd)

It's so weird. I am literally at the 255 plugin cap for fallout 4, and use extensive texture mods, weather mods, Regrowth, etc etc and I still get 60 in the wild, and an average of 35 in the city, with the occasional drop to nearly single digits which is highly frustrating ( having the extreme walkers mod so that downtown is littered with ghouls probably doesnt help) and I get HUGE fps drops in the most random of places.

Top of skyscraper where you start a particular Brotherhood of Steel/Railroad quest, 35-40 fps looking one direction, turn 180 degrees and Fallout turns nearly into a slideshow. Walk into Jamaica Plains? 11 fps. Leave Jamaica Plains and head about 100m away, back up to 55-60 Using a modded minigun that launches mini nukes? 55 fps. Corvega STILL? 17fps at times. Even when unlocking fps cap, main menu is 1300 fps, loading screens are 340, when the game doesnt just break, 165ish....go to Jamaica plains, still drops to 11. Thats a gigantic fps drop

Sanctuary even, face Red Rocket and fps is a steady 35 with about 31 settlers and a crapload of stuff built with a 10x normal settlement build budget, but turn towards Vault 111? Nearly total game breakdown, 7 fps, and literally parts of the game world seem to fade out completely.

Probably time to do a serious mod cleansing on my end to figure that out.

Back to your situation, the cell draw issue I am referring to is is weird. Whenever I get those random huge fps drops like you mention, I would ` and type tcl, and move through the environment until I found the "center" of the issue, and 99.9% of the time its inside of a rendered building, or below the map, where the world cell has gone afoul, and had some serious memory leak.

This game is legitimately POORLY optimized. I dont mean deliberately, but it is a legitimate fact that the game is poorly optimized. Hell, even the strongest i7 processors available take a baseball bat to the knees in this game.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no two ways about it. Fallout 4 is broken. Surprise, surprise...

No it's not. Ther's a huge difference between broken and buggy. Broken is unplayable, as in, can't move down the storyline from start to finish without getting stuck somewhere in-between. Buggy is, well, it has bugs.

The only thing really broken here is your record, as the needle jumps in the same spot over and over again.

You were correct as far as the assessment goes that there's stutter and lag in certain areas. Sure. Most of us have been able to tone it down by tweaking through ini-files and mods, some new hardware, or a combination of both. We also shrugged, adjusted our feathers and moved on... I suggest you do the same.

No it's not. Ther's a huge difference between broken and buggy. Broken is unplayable, as in, can't move down the storyline from start to finish without getting stuck somewhere in-between. Buggy is, well, it has bugs.

The only thing really broken here is your record, as the needle jumps in the same spot over and over again.

You were correct as far as the assessment goes that there's stutter and lag in certain areas. Sure. Most of us have been able to tone it down by tweaking through ini-files and mods, some new hardware, or a combination of both. We also shrugged, adjusted our feathers and moved on... I suggest you do the same.

It's subjective then I suppose. I find it broken.

Doesn't matter what you find (no offense) but what the terminology is in this context. A broken game is a game which can't be finished because of a fatal bug (part of a quest that's missing/doesn't start, for example). A bug in the form of bad optimisation resulting in stutter doesn't break the game. It can however of course break your fun; it did mine, but like with all situations -including life-threatening ones- one gets over it and moves on. It's not like you spend the whole of the game in areas that have some stutter. I'm over 800hrs deep into my current run and have spent maybe five hours, give or take, in Boston Common and surroundings...

The game is far more than the few places you stutter through, so, hey...

The game is far more than the few places you stutter through, so, hey...

Yeah it is... And I enjoy it a lot.

I just don't want this kind of poor optimisation to become any sort of accepted phenomenon. Far too many AAA releases are suffering in the optimisation department.

Edited by Mitigate

Wow, I am using an AMD Phenom 3.2 with a GTX 750 TI and I never drop below 30 frames in even the most demanding parts of the game on default high settings. Kinda feel like the problem is with your computer not the game or settings. Hows your heat management? Something is clearly up cause there is no way that computer shouldn't be able to run this on the highest settings and still get good frames. Drivers up to date?

Wow, I am using an AMD Phenom 3.2 with a GTX 750 TI and I never drop below 30 frames in even the most demanding parts of the game on default high settings. Kinda feel like the problem is with your computer not the game or settings. Hows your heat management? Something is clearly up cause there is no way that computer shouldn't be able to run this on the highest settings and still get good frames. Drivers up to date?

Just curious ... which resolution are you playing with?

Just curious ... which resolution are you playing with?

1920x1080

As I said, 90% of the game is perfect at Ultra. By perfect I mean never dropping below the minimum standard of 60fps. It's the few areas around Boston that drop that are the issue I am having. And we have already confirmed that this is not a hardware problem but an optimisation/engine issue. Nothing can be done by the user.