Skyrim vanilla or Skyrim Special Edition

Svarock91

Hi!

To be able to ansver that it would be good to know your Pc's specs. I presume that you have a 64 bit Windows?

You can download this little program that will give you all the hardware details:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

32 bit old Skyrim.

Pros:

A ton of mods and SKSE availiable.

Cons: A more unstable platform when adding mods. Old graphics engine.

SSE.

Pros:

Looks better than old Skyrim in vanilla state. Therefore does'nt need that many exteriour / interiour mods to look great.

An improved graphics engine. The same kind that you have in old Skyrim though.

Most important: Runs in 64 bit and is very stable.

Cons:

Fewer mods available for the moment. SKSE 64 is'nt out yet.

If you plan on running 2K mods and higher in very high resoloutions? Then you will need at least a video card with 4gb of VRAM. Preferably a pretty high end card too.

Bethesda, have'nt fixed all the problems that plagued old Skyrim. Only some of them.

Edited by goranpaa

If you want to play with an unrestricted suite of well developed mods (and some mods which may not be ported over to SE) go with vintage Skyrim. If your gaming rig is on the high end aka superior GPU/CPU/RAM etc. then it's somewhat pointless installing SE. Because SE's basic selling point is the graphic overhaul of the original game aka god rays, better environment textures etc etc. IMO there is nothing which SE has introduced which my high end PC running a 347 mod deck cannot meet or supercede. If however, your system is medium and/or GPU not as great, then SE might be the way to go.

However, be aware some of the most popular mods such like FNIS, AP, Artmoor's USLP, Frostfall (and all of Chesko's immersion mods) are now available on SE platform. But there are still a good majority of mods that rely upon SKSE and utilities like MO etc. that have yet to migrate over to SE. So for all practical purposes, you'll be beta testing a lot of these mods.

BTW: in terms of player preference, here's an interesting Steam statistic. I've been following the gaming trends of TES gamer Skyrim v. SE edition since SE came out. Quite predictably, SE debuted in the top 10-15 games for the first week or so on release. But since then, the "new shiny" effect has since worn off. So as I'd earlier suspected, SE has since dropped out of the top 20. In fact, this week, it's at #23.

In contrast, old school Skyrim STILL retains it's position in THE TOP 10---where it has been sitting ever since it debuted back in 2011. The only time Skyrim dropped it's ratings in the top 10 on this list, was when other newer titles like base game Fallout 4/GTA V DLC came out. But despite the popularity of these franchises, Skyrim has NEVER dropped out of the top 15 on this list--EVER.

Only reason why ESO improved its rating from the very bottom of the Steam user stat list to where it is now, is because of the freebie playtime Zenimax was giving out on Black Friday. Specials on ESO are still continuing, so it will be interesting to see if ESO actually beat single player SE in this list by Christmas (although I think this is extremely doubtful).

Regardless, while I don't care for SE (original Skyrim remains equal or superior in mods & performance) the single player sandbox/immersion/RPing is definitely the IN trend to date. Because original Skyrim has consistently beat Fallout 4/GTAO in the top 10 on this list. And a lot of MMO/FPS type games as well. So when installing, consider the road well traveled (and proven) with tons of working mod utilities like SKSE, SkyUI, NMM/MO, ENB series, quest/immersion/environmental mods and mods that are now defunct (as their authors have retired) etc. before you install SE.

Here's the latest steam play user stat list btw:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Edited by AlarictheVisgoth

Skyrim Special edition is better with a New PC that high resolution up to UHD 4K resolution set up Video Card all settings will be at Ultra High and high quality.

Older video cards work better in lower settings with high resolution mods, but they tend to strain the game because of slipping in and out of higher quality pix back to Skyrim's old game 32 bit resolutions settings and you lose quality, but in lower end tech machines performance is what you get so the game runs smoothly.

Tweaking controls can cause latency, CTD's, and the need to know how to restore all the games settings manually like the Skyrim.ini. Or reinstall the game from scratch when it is too overburdened and the two pages for INI's have been changed by modders who included control changes but did not inform us that they had.

There a lot of really good mods for Skyrim GoTY version for PC's, but the time it takes to find out what mods work and which don't is a lot of time you could of been playing the Skyrim SE.

• 1 month later...

The biggest issue for me is the plain fact that certain mods are not ported for SE yet (and possibly never will be).
Jaysus Swords, Serana and Family, and Lustmord Armour are just three examples (Jaysus requires Sharlikan's compatability patch in order to work properly in Oldrim also. But those weapons are just to beautiful for me to give up).
I have recently been given a great PC which is able to run Oldrim WITH and mild ENB (Video Card is a GTX960Ti 4 gig. it also is Win7 OS which is a big advantage when running Oldrim. As Win8/10 have that damned RAM/DirectX bug).
With the wonderful guide that is posted in the Oldrim Mods: Installing a modded version of Oldrim is easier than ever (Still takes work yes; but if a stump like me can do it, anyone can lol).
I am going to watch as SE matures with SKSE/SkyUI. If it starts getting a bit more love I may switch; but for now....Oldrim.