Optimizing Fallout 4

genolune

What are you doing to optimize Fallout 4? I wanted to post a new thread instead of posting to any other threads that may or may not be inflammatory in case you are wondering.

I ask this as I hit the dreaded 3.5+ GB memory usage for Windows 10 last night when Danse was taking me to the Brotherhood in a Vertibird. I don't know if they fixed the bug or not, but Windows 10 wouldn't utilize over 4 GB of VRAM. Since this laptop cames with Windows 10 Pro and I don't want to try to wipe everything and install Windows 7 Ultimate like my desktop, I'm trying to find a way to optimize the game.

Currently, I have a high spec computer (not going into specifics, I'm not here to gloat or be like other threads) and I am using BethINI (made by the people behind the S.T.E.P. project for Skyrim) set at Low. I'm also manually going through every mod I have and cleaning up the files (by manually putting them in folders, reorganizing file structure, overwriting manually, then repackaging the files into .zip files) and then going back to using Mod Organizer 2.0 since support for Nexus Mod Manager is stopping for now according to Dark0ne until the next version comes out. You might think that's a lot of trouble but I did that for Skyrim and Mod Organizer and it yielded impressive clean results.

What are some other ideas you have? I'm looking at the Texture Optimization Project but right now I don't know much about optimizing textures.

@Ethreon

I have 16GB of DDR4 and 6GB of DDR5 VRAM so hopefully that was a joke. I'm hesitant to replace Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate but maybe I should suck it up and start researching it to see if my hardware is fully compatible and everything.

What do you set the shadows too?

I disable blur, godrays, and depth of field by default.

@damanding

Thanks!

Thanks for the civil discussion guys.

If it's a fairly new laptop by one of the major manufacturers, odds are good that there aren't any drivers for it for older versions of Windows. A lot of computer manufacturers have started doing that in recent years, including with desktop machines. For example a lot of the machines you get from HP etc at places like Walmart you can never change the OS on them due to lack of drivers. Just one of the reasons why I won't use pre-built machines and make my own.

It was a custom built to specification by Sager, definitely not a Wal-Mart one that I ordered beginning of this year or late last year. I'm unsure if the m2 ssd will work with Windows 7 Ultimate but it should considering the options I had were Windows 7 and Windows 10, I would just have to make sure on the hardware.

This ^... Plus ENBoost set to its max of 12GB, ShadowBoost and I replaced my old MSI R7970 Lightning 3GB with an MSI RX470 GamerX 8GB. The latter isn't more powerful than the former, but the 8GB of V-RAM sure made a huge difference when it concerns stuttering and crashes due to not enough memory, even with ENBoost.

Have 4x4GB of system RAM, by the way (KHX Genesis Grey @1600MHz).