Possible script hidden in Nexus?

Atxk

Hi all,

Recently, I've noticed that while browsing Nexus (Fallout4 and Skyrim), sometimes there will be a new tabbed opened automatically - linked to seedy looking websites that promote random crap and iPhone giveaways. I realized that it only happens on Nexus websites, ie Nexus Forums and Nexus Mods. Doesn't happen while I'm browsing Reddit or Facebook.

So yeah, just putting this out here to see if anyone else is having this issue, or is this just me. :/ Seems like there was something similar happening back in 2013/2014... Haven't downloaded any shady files/ installed torrenting software on this computer yet, just in case you were wondering!

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it...

Have a nice day of modding! :D

It might be some bad advertisements getting through. If you catch bad ads you can report them so Nexus can get them removed from the ad network.

Jimmy,

Sometimes malware can get in your system deep enough that formatting is the safest thing to do. My computer got infected with something recently and cleaning it with MalwareBytes in safe mode still didn't resolve it. So we formatted.

It might be some bad advertisements getting through. If you catch bad ads you can report them so Nexus can get them removed from the ad network.

the problem is that some of the bad adds are world class bad

remember one that completely sucked up my entire new much faster internet

couldn't do a single thing while it demanded full access to slam its video

Jimmy,

Sometimes malware can get in your system deep enough that formatting is the safest thing to do. My computer got infected with something recently and cleaning it with MalwareBytes in safe mode still didn't resolve it. So we formatted.

Sure Damandingski, I've also been in that situation in the past, despite BitDefender being one of the better AV solutions out there (been using it since 2004). But re-formatting and re-installing your OS should be the last thing on the list of possible solutions, not the first one and certainly not being proposed off the cuff to someone who might not be too computer savvy and who probably just needs a bit of cleaning-up ;)

Jimmy,

Sure Damandingski, I've also been in that situation in the past, despite BitDefender being one of the better AV solutions out there (been using it since 2004). But re-formatting and re-installing your OS should be the last thing on the list of possible solutions, not the first one and certainly not being proposed off the cuff to someone who might not be too computer savvy and who probably just needs a bit of cleaning-up :wink:

I will grant you that. :D

I use a combination of Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware, which together seem to catch most things. I had one of those pop-ups that said that my computer was locked until I rang them to unlock it, but it only happened with Chrome. Ctrl-Alt-Del closed it down and those 2 progs, between them, got rid of it.