[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

Maybe it was an April fools joke

Maybe that's what its going to be, "IT WAS ALL A RUSE! WE DO KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING!!! APRIL FOOLS! WE PLANNED ON RELEASING THIS ON APRIL 1st TO REVEL IN YOUR REACTIONS AND TEARS!"

*distinct Mercenary in the distance* "Heyyyoooooooooooo!" *fires rocket launcher* BOOM

Claptrap under the disguise of Behippo: "Jeez Steve don't be such a drama queen... Let's go wake this Hippo guy back up" :laugh:

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure an HDT64 mod could technically be sold for a profit without Bethesda's permission. I hang around on the OpenMW forums a lot, so have a reasonable idea about how far Bethesda's ability to block stuff actually goes (although, of course, I could know less than I think I do and be flat out wrong about all of this). Technically, they can only restrict the copyright on content produced by their tools (the Creation Kit) where their tools put an amount of data copyrighted by Bethesda into the content files. While this could potentially be used to argue that they should have control over mods created by open-source tools like TES5Edit (if they create files by copying data from a sample file from Bethesda), something created entirely separately (such as a DLL file) should be free. I'd expect a theoretical HDT64 mod to not include anything from Skyrim itself, but instead just have a bunch of pointers to where in the Skyrim executable the data it needs lives. (Again, I could be wrong about this, as I'm not exactly sure how the kind of runtime memory meddling that this kind of mod uses actually works.)

All of this might be irrelevant anyway, even if it is wrong. One of the things Bethesda said they wouldn't allow (after the paid mods fiasco) is modders setting up a Patreon, but several modders have one now, and Bethesda haven't been suing the crap out of them, even though they claim they could. :tongue:

@onandaga. I actually just set up SSE today and played about 7 hours. I'm getting antsy too. There is a long time even before all the specifics are ironed out too. It will take time but that is after Beta, when modder's actually have a hold of it and more advanced modders start releasing mods.

One of the things Bethesda said they wouldn't allow (after the paid mods fiasco) is modders setting up a Patreon, but several modders have one now, and Bethesda haven't been suing the crap out of them, even though they claim they could. :tongue:

The question there is "Do they know about them?"

Here comes another can of worms :D :D :D

One of the things Bethesda said they wouldn't allow (after the paid mods fiasco) is modders setting up a Patreon, but several modders have one now, and Bethesda haven't been suing the crap out of them, even though they claim they could. :tongue:

The question there is "Do they know about them?"

Hmm, do those modders have anything else on their Patreon?

I'm pretty sure an HDT64 mod could technically be sold for a profit without Bethesda's permission. I hang around on the OpenMW forums a lot, so have a reasonable idea about how far Bethesda's ability to block stuff actually goes (although, of course, I could know less than I think I do and be flat out wrong about all of this). Technically, they can only restrict the copyright on content produced by their tools (the Creation Kit) where their tools put an amount of data copyrighted by Bethesda into the content files. While this could potentially be used to argue that they should have control over mods created by open-source tools like TES5Edit (if they create files by copying data from a sample file from Bethesda), something created entirely separately (such as a DLL file) should be free. I'd expect a theoretical HDT64 mod to not include anything from Skyrim itself, but instead just have a bunch of pointers to where in the Skyrim executable the data it needs lives. (Again, I could be wrong about this, as I'm not exactly sure how the kind of runtime memory meddling that this kind of mod uses actually works.)

All of this might be irrelevant anyway, even if it is wrong. One of the things Bethesda said they wouldn't allow (after the paid mods fiasco) is modders setting up a Patreon, but several modders have one now, and Bethesda haven't been suing the crap out of them, even though they claim they could. :tongue:

Maybe. If the hypothetical HDT64 was just a Havok-related utility with no specific connection to Bethesda games, and someone "just happened" to build a SKSE-type bridging mod that cross-linked the game to the utility, the bridging mod might be subject to the EULA but the utility wouldn't be. So the utility could be monetized. Maybe.

Any volunteers?

Sorry, this isn't intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Thanks for the update :D Real life goes first. Good luck and we will be waiting (some more patiently than others).

News are good news in this case, thanks for that.

As @Tarshana i will be waiting, if one member can drop by every few months and give the community a life sign - perfect.