[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

By the time SKSE64 is done, TES6 will be out and no one will care about SE. Purhaps, the codes should be made open source so that all the players can have a collective crack at it.

The code is open source. Just like the code for all the plugins made with SE. It's a requirement for SE.

Wrong, the code for SKSE is open source. the code for SKSE64 is not yet released.

Having a github for the SKSE64 code like some users recommended could improve the speed of release since it doesn't imply anyone needs to join the team, but if somebody does actually do something for the code they can submit it and it gets applied. simple as that.

Basically it's the best course of action for the dev team since there's no loss. They update it on github and no one submits anything? then the speed of work is the same as now. Anyone submits anything? The speed increases.

No, you are wrong. It's "source code available" but it's not open source in any meaning. Just look at license file in source code directory, it literally says "explicitly disallowed from using any of these files for any purpose". It means that from legal point of view you even can't use it for your home hacking without even making it public. No one can see what you do in your spare time of course :smile:

Terms aside, the code for SKSE is available but the up to date code on the progress of SKSE64 is not. Telling people that the source code of SKSE is available is dumb since you can't help the team if you don't know what they already did and what they didn't.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assure you the team is doing the best they can. I know first hand since I helped decode a few things in skse. The work is very time consuming. It's not just a matter of open source,. You have to painstakingly go through the runtime and decode base addresses, class and structures, hooks, etc.

Have any of you ever considered the possibility that tone of your words and the general attitude of posts in this thread might also deter them in someway? They are human too.

Unlikely, as bla08 posted on May 11/17 that the last time behippo was on the forum was February 8, 2017. More likely that he has lost interest.

The problem of incessant posts would be solved if behippo (the person actually supposedly 'working' on SKSE64) would post a one sentence 30 second update. He refuses to do this. As I've argued all along, it's long past time to crowd fund a paid computer engineer to do the work.

Edited by aristotle99

The problem is that a computer engineer costs ~ $1,000 a week at the low end. And trying to raise money could easily result in a massive community backlash because apparently the idea of getting paid for your work is not something that's that popular in the modding community (which I kinda understand tbh, the legal status of that work is kinda a grey area).

Anyway I just wish that people like myself who have some experience mucking about in game engine memory could see a list of things that need doing and do them. That said I understand that the team probably does not want to spend time onboarding, and there are legal issues with really documenting all this stuff.

What would be REALLY awesome would be for Bethesda to send behippo a copy of the release mode debug information for SSE, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Guys...they're updating skse for fallout. I mean, they are still active but fallout was in truth next on the line soo....the project is not dead. We just have to wait for fallout to get done and skyrim special edition to get its turn.

The other thing I think is important to remember is they probably don't want to release a version of SKSE64 that only has a few functions decoded/added. Like people are expecting mods to just start being ported immediately and may be frustrated if that does not happen. With fallout4 they can incrementally release features and mods will start to use them over time. They ALSO probably don't want to get in a situation where some features of SKSE64 are unstable and it creates a cargo cult of thinking SKSE is unstable for years to come.

The other thing I think is important to remember is they probably don't want to release a version of SKSE64 that only has a few functions decoded/added. Like people are expecting mods to just start being ported immediately and may be frustrated if that does not happen. With fallout4 they can incrementally release features and mods will start to use them over time. They ALSO probably don't want to get in a situation where some features of SKSE64 are unstable and it creates a cargo cult of thinking SKSE is unstable for years to come.

Yeah you're right. But as many of us said before, its very likely that the more time passes, the less mods will get ported by their creators.

But as many of us said before, its very likely that the more time passes, the less mods will get ported by their creators.

Contact the creator. Ask them to port it. If they don't want to, ask permission to do so yourself. I can only speak definitively for myself, but I'd wager that nearly anyone whose mods need SKSE in the first place is connected deeply to the community and will be receptive to such offers. Our code is already public and given freely; as long as there's good faith and credit given, very few mod authors will be stingy over work they don't plan to personally revisit.

There are a handful of famous counterexamples, but I've seen many dozens of friendly hand-offs and it never hurts to ask.

Guys...they're updating skse for fallout. I mean, they are still active but fallout was in truth next on the line soo....the project is not dead. We just have to wait for fallout to get done and skyrim special edition to get its turn.

that is being handled by a different person who is actively modding so its a completely different thing, the one who is supposedly handling skse64 is not active thats why people are freaking out here. in meantime people can play oldrim if they are really missing their favourite skse mod.