Porting to Skyrim SE

Moksha8088

I have run across a few Nexus mods that were simply copied from another author's mod directly from Skyrim Classic. Full credit and source had been listed, but the mod was never converted to the Skyrim SE format.

How much of a problem is it to have unconverted mods, and if it presents a problem, what should we end users be aware of in terms of our game saves?

Oldrim mods that state they require SkyUI and/or SKSE will either tend not to work, or will work but with reduced functionality (e.g. no MCM menu.) Other mods are a crap-shoot, but somewhat less so. For example, I've dropped the Holds -The City Overhaul mod directly into my SE (with Winter Is Coming - Cloaks) and it worked pretty good -though there are major texture issues in a few locations and the occasional CTD at certain doors. Some mod authors have experimented a bit doing the same thing and have made update notes on their mod page.

Really, I recommend just sticking with Oldrim if you've got a nice stable mod list and then switch to SE a little after SKSE and SkyUI come out. (Which should be mid-Spring according to Behippo.) By then, mod authors will have ported a lot of your favorite mods over and this time they'll be fully functional instead of having to rely on workarounds.

As for mods being copied directly over and posted to the SE Nexus section by other people, -that depends on what permissions the original mod author stated on their page(s) (if any) and if not, whether the person who copied over the mod ASKED AND RECEIVED permission to do so. If they didn't, then yeah, I would consider that mod theft.

I did not mean to infer that permission was not given, it was just an observation that some have been ported without conversion.

I have a few mods that readily fall into that category, such as Sexy Solitude, Sexy Whiterun, and Beautiful Whiterun. These mods, I downloaded from the Skyrim Classic site and knew what I was getting. Fortunately, these work fine and are superior to SSE analogs for city overhauls. However, when such unconverted mods appear on the SSE site, users may not realize what they are getting.

One mod which I love "Atlas Map Markers" I installed the oldrim mod and after quite a few hours of play have had no problems at all with. So some oldrim mods will work with no problems you just have to experiment. Although as LeddBate says mods that require SKSE or SkyUI I would not even try but wait for SKS64 to come out.

idk which mods your talking about, but usually when a mod gets "ported" to SE page or whatever, i usually stay away from it unless i see its been done by the original author and properly "converted" otherwise when a mod page looks sketchy.. then it probably is

but the mod was never converted to the Skyrim SE format

You find not converted mods in the Skyrim SE section????

How much of a problem is it to have unconverted mods

Some Mods will work others not. more...

You can write the modder.

You can wait.

You can find someone who helps

You can try it yourself.

If you find a mod that is not converted and it has only a esp-file in archive, you can open it with the Creation Kid and save it again more....

If it has also a bsa-file, you can extract the bsa and pack it again with the Archive.exe in the Folder TOOLS (....\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\Archive)

If there are much more files in the archive, you can start reading about building mods for games more...

If you are scared about this or don´t like to install skyrim again, when nothing works anymore, keep your hands in your pockets

and only install mods that have been endorsed often and a lot of comments like "wonderfull mod...."

Edited by Funkstille