So why did Alduin decide to attack Helgen?

stars2heaven

Forget about Alduin's timing at Helgen. How about that Mirmulnir? I mean, my character gets this outrageous request from Farengar (just "delve" through this dungeon and find an ancient artifact in the main chamber), so he goes on his flower-picking way to Riften, thank you very much. Then to Windhelm, Dawnstar, Morthal, Solitude, Markarth, Falkreath. Fast forward a couple months, and he finally remembers: "Oh wait! I need to go look for a Dragonstone!"

My poor flower-picking khajiit character finally does find the artifact and brings it to Farengar at 2am. Just at that moment, another dragon attack. Coincidence? I don't think so.

What just reinforces the theory those dragons have a fantastical sense of timing to prevent the game to stop cold :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Russian version, it is revealed from Paarthurnax that he intended to in order to save you, or the prophecy would've failed. At least, he mentions that's what he thinks.

I don't know about the english version though. Is there anything like that?

In the Russian version, it is revealed from Paarthurnax that he intended to in order to save you, or the prophecy would've failed. At least, he mentions that's what he thinks.

I don't know about the english version though. Is there anything like that?

There is definately nothing like that in the English version. Paarthunax is the only decent character in the entire game, and i have spent a great deal of time hanging around the old lizzard, and can confidantly say he doesn't even allude to that.

Still, as i said many moons ago, it does make some sense. Alduin is just as bound by prophecy as the Dragonborn, and their confrontation is destined. He can't do his thing until their fight is settled, one way or another, and if you get your head chopped off, Alduin's stuck waiting for the next Dragonborn before he can destroy the world.

I always assumed it was because he knew the prophecy of the dragon born and could sense the dragonborn was at helgen. He couldn't quite tell who it was though so he just attacked everyone and tried to destroy the entire town with everyone in it.

Hah, did you ever read that one book "The Akatosh/Alduin Dichotomy" found in Skyrim? It adds to the confusion and mystery claiming they are the same deity.

Thats the big thing, you can possibly have killed akatosh (on this book is clarly saids that alduin is an aspect of akatosh)

Through my gameplay i have learned a lot by reading the books

Edited by yota71

Hah, did you ever read that one book "The Akatosh/Alduin Dichotomy" found in Skyrim? It adds to the confusion and mystery claiming they are the same deity.

Thats the big thing, you can possibly have killed akatosh (on this book is clarly saids that alduin is an aspect of akatosh)

Through my gameplay i have learned a lot by reading the books

That book kind of seems like speculation itself. The Aedra can't seem to manifest themselves or even intervene like the Daedra can. Even among the dragons he is known as the first born of Akatosh, not one and the same.

Watching the Helgen scene a few times, I think he just plays with you, like our cat that plays with a mouse it captured, until it eventually kills it off, when playing either too wild, or when bored swallows it. For example he shouts unrelenting force upon you, to see how you react, not firebreath just yet. He just sensed you, and want to look what you are capable of, luckily you escaped, like our cat that loses a mouse in its play one or the other time. Then he was bored with you, so he didn't come back against you, unless you learned dragonrend, whence you suddendly posed a possible danger.

I liked that much better, which is why he straight up collapses that tunnel not 3 inches from your face. It's just him playing with you.

Are we sure Alduin wasn't there because of Ulfric? At the time you were scheduled to be executed, Ulfric was the only modern human to have ever used the Voice in combat as far as we know. That might very well be what got Alduin's attention, and he may have been looking for Ulfric to see if he was a potential danger like the three heroes who threw him into the timestream.

I don't think this is too far-fetched. We know from Ohdaving that dragons are sensitive to the use of shouts from incredible distances, or it would not be possible to summon him. We would only have to assume that Alduin was already back at the time of Ulfric's confrontation with Torygg and heard the shout. I think that may be a safer assumption than assuming that he somehow sensed your character as being dovahkin. Sensing Ulfric's overt act seems more plausible to me.

It seems reasonable that Alduin must have been back for some time before Helgen. He must have had to regain strength after his ordeal for one thing. For another, it would take him some time to figure out the situation and make plans. He would have come out of the time rift not knowing anything about the near-extermination of his kind over the millenia or the current strength and spread of mortal kinds across the continent.

Edited by BrettM