Sueing steam for forcing me to update

epicfail101

F. Free Subscriptions.

"In some cases, Valve may offer a free Subscription to certain services, software and content. As with all Subscriptions, you are always responsible for any Internet service provider, telephone, and other connection fees that you may incur when using Steam, even when Valve offers a free Subscription."

'offer,n.1. The act or an instance of presenting something for acceptance <the prosecutor's

offer of immunity>.2. A promise to do or refrain from doing some specified thing in the future,

conditioned on an act, forbearance, or return promise being given in exchange for the promise or

its performance; a display of willingness to enter into a contract on specified terms, made in a way

that would lead a reasonable person to understand that an acceptance, having been sought, will

result in a binding contract'

- Black's Law, 8th edition.

If you really did have all relevent settings to turn off automatic updates, and they happened without seeking your acceptance, then I'd hope you have a case. However I am by no means a lawyer.

If you can't afford your internet bill you can't afford a lawyer.

notice that the OP has a precise post count

and its entirely contained within this thread

that smells fishy to me

very smelly fish indeed

If enough pressure is put on Steam by its users, perhaps it will change. So far they have not got to me that much but have come close to doing so.

I believe this little treasure destroys your case:

F. Free Subscriptions.

"In some cases, Valve may offer a free Subscription to certain services, software and content. As with all Subscriptions, you are always responsible for any Internet service provider, telephone, and other connection fees that you may incur when using Steam, even when Valve offers a free Subscription."

I am sure valve is considering their service a free subscription and are not responsible for any additional bills your rack up. If you go to a gas station without a limiter on the pump and forget about it you are still responsible for the gas spilling out :laugh: . "You could always of stayed in offline mode" would have been the counter argument followed by the judges gavel hitting the table. "Case dismissed". Sorry, this seems like a lawsuit which would cost you more than the internet bill itself. You probably should have thoroughly scanned over the EULA before bringing it here, but I don't mind doing a bit of reading :sweat: .

I'm not so sure. The program is not performing the way it should, in that it updates when it's set not to, so I don't think that clause will destroy his case.

However, Valve has probably thought ahead to situations like this and there's bound to be another part of the EULA which will destroy his case.

I can try and give the OP some advice though. A while back I used a program to block Steam from downloading from certain content servers and only from the ones I specify, so in theory it might be possible to use the program to block Steam from downloading from any servers at all.

Here's a thread on the topic;

http://forums.webafrica.co.za/showthread.php/4606-How-to-use-the-WA-Steam-Server

I believe I used Steamwatch, but it might have been Frey's. You might just have to ask around to find out if you can block all servers though. This doesn't block the log-in server, merely the content servers from which the actual game files are downloaded.

Ask a lawyer, they'll know more about it that we do.

Cost a lot more also :laugh: .

You get what you pay for. :biggrin:

You sir, you are funny :happy: .You made me think about that one really bad Simpson's lawyer when you said that :biggrin: . (I don't really like the new episodes, but the older Simpsons can be pretty funny at times)

Ask a lawyer, they'll know more about it that we do.

Cost a lot more also :laugh: .

You get what you pay for. :biggrin:

You sir, you are funny :happy: .You made me think about that one really bad Simpson's lawyer when you said that :biggrin: . (I don't really like the new episodes, but the older Simpsons can be pretty funny at times)

Yep, sadly The Simpsons have lost something in the last few years, not a bad run though.

As for the OP, he should google "free solicitor", there are plenty of places to get free advice (I assume he's in UK given the £80 he quoted). Your costs were down to a fault with Steam, you might be on to something.....or not.