What am I not getting?

worldofscotty

I think Skyrim is a lot more like an "ego shooter" than the previous ESs, it's entire dumbed downed skills, equipment and spell system is proof of that. The only thing Skyrim has more of is eye-candy graphics. Daggerfall trapped you in a cave, Morrowind let you off a prison boat, Oblivion let you rot in a cage, Skyrim sent you to the headsman's block. If that's not rehash, .. nothing is.

Except the skill system is, if anything, more deep then it ever was in Oblivion, Morrowind, or any of the past ES games.

Past ES games - all character with 100 of X skill got THE EXACT SAME BENEFITS from it.

Skyrim - character with 100 of a skill may have vastly different experiences based on what perks they have.

Also each game starts you off as a prisoner to explain why you have no equipment or skills, if you don't even know that you don't understand much of the ES series.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I'm having a torrid time with it and I find it really boring. I just finished the first village and did the first dungeon and am headed to Whiterun but I just can't seem to care about the story, my character or anyone'd dialogue. I manage to go about 20 mins before I have to slaughter the whole village for entertainment then reload the save before I did it and carry on.

You are likely more suited to ego shooter. If all you expect from a video game is a lot of killing, then yes Skyrim is likely not for you.

faifh has summed it up, and in curiously diplomatic terms as well.

....I'd have just pointed out you sound like a twitchy psychopath.

Lol I'm really not. I did get a little ticked off though and and let some blood run when that old lady in Riverrun hired thugs and said "it was ok to kill me" cause I stole a basket :D

If you're really bored, just screw around with the console. I did. I made myself a Snowy Sabre Cat and just ran around pretending to be a wild animal, but if you do change your race to something like a Dwarven Sphere, find a camera fix for them because when you change your race to something your not really supposed to, it will place your camera at the floor.

I hear you. I can't quite explain what I love about this game. Before playing it, I totally expected to hate it. It looked boring.

But then something clicked while playing it. I can't say when or what exactly. I think I was just wondering around and realized hours had passed in the real world.

Try this: Ignore most of the dialogue and bad acting. Don't pay much attention to the stories. Think of quests as annoying work. Do the main quest only because you have to. Then you're free to enjoy the best elements of this game which, btw, are non-scripted and just sort of happen. Go for a long walk and see what happens.

Also, try some of the oddly addictive things for me, like mining ore and collecting hides to smith into weapons and armor and then improve those with further smithing. Try playing with collecting ingredients and mixing potions. Just try the stuff that has little to do with questing. You'll be catching chasing butterflies to brew a potion when suddenly out of nowhere (blank) happens and then (blank) and then you can't even remember how or why you ended up across the map.

yeah, got to agree with this. I am still fuming about the implausible short mages guild questline so have stopped questing for a while and am just having a good explore around, mining, looting, butterfiles etc. The game is suddenly much more enjoyable.

I wish we had the same standard of Oblivions characters, questlines and stories in the Skyrim world. Now that would make the game great!!!

Except the skill system is, if anything, more deep then it ever was in Oblivion, Morrowind, or any of the past ES games.

Past ES games - all character with 100 of X skill got THE EXACT SAME BENEFITS from it.

Skyrim - character with 100 of a skill may have vastly different experiences based on what perks they have.

Also each game starts you off as a prisoner to explain why you have no equipment or skills, if you don't even know that you don't understand much of the ES series.

I doubt you have as much time in ES games or FO3/NV (that uses the same source code) as I do. But let's get back to the facts, that apparently you just don't get.

First off, there is a lot of ways to start a character out fresh, one of them is 'coming of age' like fallout3 did. Other ways involve magic, amnesia, or a formerly common person being thrown into greatness, prisoners is not the only "role playing" method to start a game, fanboy.

Second, your Skyrim character with 100 in every skill will be as much like any other dam ES game character as much as in any other game. You will be a master of sword, magic and stealth and with your crafting skills you be a god, just like any other ES game.

I laugh at your Skyrim is more in deep bulls***. Your dedicated to the cause. Good for you for believing in something..

Lol, ok I see your going to take any view that differs from your own as a "fanboy" stance, but ill play ball.

First off I have hundreds of hours in each of the Fallout games, and Oblivion, and Morrowind.

Secondly I didn't say prisoner was the "only" way, that's some BS you made up. I said it is the ES way.

Thirdly a character with 100 skill in Heavy Armor in Skyrim =/= a character with 100 Heavy armor and all the perks in it, the perks offer a new level of depth that no previous Elder Scrolls game had, they give higher armor ratings and other bonuses you ant get just by leveling up the skill, and you odnt have to get them all meaning that you can only have some perks and not other. Compare to Oblivion where a 100 Heavy armor skill was the same and offered the exact same bonuses no matter what character you were.

Fourthly I find it funny that you are so entrenched in your belief that you were willing to result to name calling and making things up about what I said in a vain attempt to insult me. Frankly your actions are childish.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I have to agree on the better leveling system on skyrim.

Older tes games skill played a huge part in leveling and ya you could pick a class. Unfortunately class was pointless at high levels because skill is what mattered in the game so eventually you could proficiently do everything.

Skyrim since its more based of a perk system with a limited # of perks to get it doesn't matter how many skill 100's you have because perks define your class. Ya you can just use any weapon or spell but if your not fully perked for it you will not really be proficient in it. This gets rid of that pesky I'm the master of everything.

I hear you. I can't quite explain what I love about this game. Before playing it, I totally expected to hate it. It looked boring.

But then something clicked while playing it. I can't say when or what exactly. I think I was just wondering around and realized hours had passed in the real world.

Try this: Ignore most of the dialogue and bad acting. Don't pay much attention to the stories. Think of quests as annoying work. Do the main quest only because you have to. Then you're free to enjoy the best elements of this game which, btw, are non-scripted and just sort of happen. Go for a long walk and see what happens.

Also, try some of the oddly addictive things for me, like mining ore and collecting hides to smith into weapons and armor and then improve those with further smithing. Try playing with collecting ingredients and mixing potions. Just try the stuff that has little to do with questing. You'll be catching chasing butterflies to brew a potion when suddenly out of nowhere (blank) happens and then (blank) and then you can't even remember how or why you ended up across the map.

yeah, got to agree with this. I am still fuming about the implausible short mages guild questline so have stopped questing for a while and am just having a good explore around, mining, looting, butterfiles etc. The game is suddenly much more enjoyable.

I wish we had the same standard of Oblivions characters, questlines and stories in the Skyrim world. Now that would make the game great!!!

Yeah, it's like the stuff that is supposed to be epic isn't. Scripted epic moments fall flat. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the dragonborn.

This game is at its best when things happen that you can't really go back and duplicate because, well, you know. Your most memorable moments are probably like mine where it's hard to say why they were so awesome because you kind of had to of been there. But ask the rabbit who say it all unfold; he thought it was epic, too.

T

his game is at its best when things happen that you can't really go back and duplicate because, well, you know. Your most memorable moments are probably like mine where it's hard to say why they were so awesome because you kind of had to of been there. But ask the rabbit who say it all unfold; he thought it was epic, too.

hehe yep, thats how it goes :)

I usually play the good guy though.

Good on you for giving it another chance-- I really do think you'll like it!

If you tell innkeepers you're looking for work, they'll give you quests-- things like "go to this location and kill this bandit chief". You could build a great storyline out of that-- for example, give your PC a woodcutter's axe to start with, and basic clothes and supplies. She/he isn't a great adventurer (yet), just a normal person. But maybe his home village was attacked by bandits; maybe she hates the idea of being stuck in a city slum forever; maybe she dreams of being a hero; maybe he's just tired of having to live hand-to-mouth. And this is how the real story begins-- with your PC doing low-level mercenary work.

See also the Alternate Start Mod for a much more fun way of doing this-- not only can you set everything up from the beginning, but you can edit the file in Notepad to give yourself specific gear, and then COC yourself to the location of your choosing! It lets you skip the main quest, which I always do at this point. I'd rather explore and craft, etc. (If you want to just go on a rampage, look for Dwemer dungeons. Pretty much constant combat, plus the design is amazing!)