ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

THQ cancels all 2014 projects, is basically dead.

Halororor

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THQ isn't dead, it just doesn't have anything planned at 2014 for the moment. They are just restructuring their business model and moving into higher-end gaming. You should be happy about this announcement as it will mean possible new IPs and better quality games.

THQ isn't dead, it just doesn't have anything planned at 2014 for the moment. They are just restructuring their business model and moving into higher-end gaming. You should be happy about this announcement as it will mean possible new IPs and better quality games.

So long as the price doesn't continue to rise; $60 is the price ceiling for me. CoD will probably ruin that, by making their next game $70, then $80, etc.

So long as the price doesn't continue to rise; $60 is the price ceiling for me. CoD will probably ruin that, by making their next game $70, then $80, etc.

I pay $80 for a standard edition of a game in Aus, over $100 for a CE, so I don't care if you have to fork out over $60 for an entertainment product. Besides, there are other pressures besides development costs (like inflastion and tariffs) which factor into pricing.

I pay $80 for a standard edition of a game in Aus, over $100 for a CE, so I don't care if you have to fork out over $60 for an entertainment product. Besides, there are other pressures besides development costs (like inflastion and tariffs) which factor into pricing.

Base costs however have become largely less and less over the years with the spread of decentralized printing and cheeper to produce media. Even games which are total flops still seem to earn back production costs as well as marketing costs (unless you're EA and your marketing team is just clueless). About 40% of the game's price is aimed solely on expected profit. Technically speaking, even AAA games could be sold for around $20 and rake in tons of profit if using a primarily digital distribution method paired with localized printing/packaging in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, North America, and South America. If it's printed, packaged, sold locally you don't have to deal with shipping costs; you just have to have a factory in that region who can handle the contract of doing the physical production work. Companies just don't like this since it spreads their resources thinner, is more prone to mismanagement, and may result in leaked/illegal software.

Base costs however have become largely less and less over the years with the spread of decentralized printing and cheeper to produce media. Even games which are total flops still seem to earn back production costs as well as marketing costs (unless you're EA and your marketing team is just clueless). About 40% of the game's price is aimed solely on expected profit. Technically speaking, even AAA games could be sold for around $20 and rake in tons of profit if using a primarily digital distribution method paired with localized printing/packaging in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, North America, and South America. If it's printed, packaged, sold locally you don't have to deal with shipping costs; you just have to have a factory in that region who can handle the contract of doing the physical production work. Companies just don't like this since it spreads their resources thinner, is more prone to mismanagement, and may result in leaked/illegal software.

Even with cheaper printing costs, the costs of development is still increasing, partly due to our desire of a better and real life experence. When it comes to Aus, there is a 30-40% tarrif on all video game imports to protect the small and non-existant industry that we have which reflects on prices. There is also a renting crisis and this also reflects on the price on video games. While those play a factor in pricing the issue of rising development costs is going to be something that needs to be address in the future. Comparing the price of development now to 15 years ago and you can still see a major difference. I have nothing against companies like EA, or Activision or THQ to make profits, they are within their rights to do so. If THQ wants to focus on the high end of the market they can do it and perhaps we might get a new RTS from them.