ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

THQ cancels all 2014 projects, is basically dead.

Halororor

Rumor spreading fast via Twitter on Sunday holds that THQ has canceled its entire 2014 slate of releases to position the company for sale.

Kevin Dent, a games industry veteran, tweeted late yesterday that THQ had canceled an MMO it was developing under license from The Games Workshop, meaning Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millenium Online (pictured above). Dent went on to say that the publisher had also canceled all projects due for release in 2014 and was in the process of returning intellectual property to their licensors.

The purpose, Dent alleges, is to ready THQ for sale. "I am hearing everything (in 2014 is canceled), they need to preserve cash," he said. Dent noted THQ's stock price is around 66 cents; it was about $6 this time last year.

Games THQ publishes under license include the Warhammer 40,000 series as well as the WWE and UFC lines, both of which are under exclusive license. Other games THQ publishes include the Red Faction and Saints Row series. In October 2010, it opened a studio in Montréal, luring away Patrice Désilets from Ubisoft, where he had been creative director of Assassin's Creed.

Kotaku has contacted THQ representatives for comment. Any they make will be updated here.

http://kotaku.com/5876253/thq-wipes-out-games-planned-for-2014-to-ready-itself-for-sale-says-insider

This is really big. Basically THQ doesn't exist any longer, they're just waiting to be bought out.

I really just hope EA doesn't buy them out. If that happens, I might stop gaming altogether.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a company that makes Saints Row go out of business? Must be very poorly run.

Lots of paid DLC for content that was held back (day 0 DLC including bought cheats), shorter than normal game content, lackluster sales because of these things. Yeah, poorly run.

maybe South Park: The Game will bring it back from the dead! :P

8 years ago maybe.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/southpark.aspx

What I meant was that it's been awhile since South Park has really been at a height of popularity or relevance. I forgot the show was even still running until it was mentioned.

As opposed to say... Dr. Who, or MLP, where you pretty much have to be living in a cave to not trip over one reference or another, sometimes involving both.