Fallout 4 High Res Texture Update

L3s7ing

I can't believe they flipping did this. "Hey the game is just marginally playable for so many people because we didn't have the time or energy to optimize it before releasing it. Let's just dump ANOTHER 60Gb of unoptimized textures out there and finish the damned game off for everybody who can't afford to buy a new computer every time we release one of our half baked POS games.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe they flipping did this. Â "Hey the game is just marginally playable for so many people because we didn't have the time or energy to optimize it before releasing it. Â Let's just dump ANOTHER 60Gb of unoptimized textures out there and finish the damned game off for everybody who can't afford to buy a new computer every time we release one of our half baked POS games.

Â

Well... yes and no. First of all, they released the game, they released all DLCs and are still updating the game with fixes here and there. They don't have to do that. Like the texture pack. This is probably the Original textures they have created and now they came back to bring them out. They dont have to do it. I would see it more like "modder ressources". The textures are better than the Originals. Specially Armor and weapons. If you strip the pack down to textures that make a big improvement, then its really good.

Yes, you need a good Computer to run that. But what do you expect. Those textures are 4k to 8k. Vivid Fallout Series by Heini is still superior, when it comes to landscapes, with a much lower resolution.

Bethesda does nothing perfect, but they still released a good game to build on.

Skyrim is the perfect example. Look at an unmodded Skyrim and a modded one. Its two different worlds. Its really incredible what you can do with Beth games. But Doom was still crap, lol.

I can't believe they flipping did this. Â "Hey the game is just marginally playable for so many people because we didn't have the time or energy to optimize it before releasing it. Â Let's just dump ANOTHER 60Gb of unoptimized textures out there and finish the damned game off for everybody who can't afford to buy a new computer every time we release one of our half baked POS games.

Â

Well... yes and no. First of all, they released the game, they released all DLCs and are still updating the game with fixes here and there. They don't have to do that. Like the texture pack. This is probably the Original textures they have created and now they came back to bring them out. They dont have to do it. I would see it more like "modder ressources". The textures are better than the Originals. Specially Armor and weapons. If you strip the pack down to textures that make a big improvement, then its really good.

Yes, you need a good Computer to run that. But what do you expect. Those textures are 4k to 8k. Vivid Fallout Series by Heini is still superior, when it comes to landscapes, with a much lower resolution.

Bethesda does nothing perfect, but they still released a good game to build on.

Skyrim is the perfect example. Look at an unmodded Skyrim and a modded one. Its two different worlds. Its really incredible what you can do with Beth games. But Doom was still crap, lol.

Actually, just touching on this. Would have been nice if they had made the download separate categories/folders. Most of us who mod their games are aware of the file structure inside their archives, so might have been nice if they'd set up something like an "olde time" FTP server with the unpacked files in their respective directories. That way we could downloaded only those files we wanted/needed.

But you are correct, it's more a "modders resource" than anything else. I've even seen it noted that only about 1/3 of the files are actually of a higher resolution than the base game, they are simply all uncompressed in this pack ... Even though .dds is fairly good at maintaining details, with minimal artifacting.

I'll stick to my texture mods, thank you. There is a difference alright, but only minimal and in a few cases the "upgrade" looks worse than the vanilla texture. So this Hi-Res Pack to me is something to steer clear of, unless people who actually know what they're doing give the pack a make-over so that it actually looks and runs great.

I'm happy with HD pack as I use them as low level textures covered by modded ones.
HD pack replaced Sharper Fallout4 mod for me which did a great job with blurry textures in game's early stage.
Only bad thing about pack is it's 60gb size but on the other hand it's free so I definitely won't complain.
As Zzyxzz said - those are the textures Beth made creating game probably scaled down at game launch due to optimzation process.
So it's nice that Bethesda decided to release it.

Who in their right mind would even dare to download this texture pack, when mods do the exact same thing for less space, better optimization and better textures?

58 GBs could be 3 new DLC. The size alone just tells you that Bethesda didn't spend time optimizing or working on these textures at all.

Don't buy into their lies. Just download texture packs here on the nexus.

Who in their right mind would even dare to download this texture pack, when mods do the exact same thing for less space, better optimization and better textures?

58 GBs could be 3 new DLC. The size alone just tells you that Bethesda didn't spend time optimizing or working on these textures at all.

Don't buy into their lies. Just download texture packs here on the nexus.

Don't know ^^ I'm using it as basic and let the texture mods overwrite it. When testing the texture pack I had a loss of max 2 fps and at the moment more than enough space. So why not take it.

It's free so I didn't expect too much, but it sure adds at least a few nice textures. If it's worth the 58GB ... naah, but with around 0,8 TB free space I'll take the risk. You can deinstall it whenever you want.

Hi

I tested it on my 2 X 980 ti rig at 4k & had too many issues with it. They do look great at 4k but the game is not smooth.

My CBBE females all have brown head with it installed. Fixed by removing modded head textures.

I also got stutter on turning in older saves. It reminded me of when I had some bad textures installed in the old Skyrim.

Vram usage stayed at around 5.6gbs

The only thing I saw that I really liked was Dogmeat's new textures. For the first time the dog looked like it "fit" in the game.

Next I installed it on my GTX 1080 rig that uses a 3440 X 1440 monitor. The game ran well but the textures have no impact at that resolution. Even Dogmeat's new coat that looks gorgeous at 4k is unimpressive at 1440.

I think the only people that could benefit from this are those with 2 X GTX 1080s & play at 4k. My GTX 980 ti SLI rig is not powerful enough.

Later

Bring on 4Ghz 8 core Ryzen and RX5XX HBM2 + Geometry pipeline. Let's show AMD there is a game that this won't be enough for :D