MDB to FBX, FBX to MDB converter

FreshLook

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i could be srewing up here but i really thought that there was a maximum of three bones per vertex. browsing the internet didn't reveal any old thread, especially nothing official from obsidian. only thing i encountered was the "vertex has more than 4 weights" error message from expotron, which faerzresssparkles talked about at the neverwintervault forums. so i guess you could be right.

Well crud, I'm having all kinds of issues trying to get the animation working. I've merged the model parts so it's down to a single mesh and texture. The applied animation in the original .blend file works fine. If I export to an .fbx file then import it in a new session, the .fbx descends twice as far. I tried re-importing the skeleton, animation, and .mdb file, but the resulting animation does nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa3hhp526ngescc/secret_door1.7z?dl=0

I'm not sure what I can do about it.

@Semp3r, @rjshae: I'm reading the original official Obsidian Expotron guides (in particular, "Exporting Animated Creatures") and it says:

4) If a vertex is getting an error, check to see if there are more than 4 bones assigned to it.

5) Cinematic head skin can have no more than 3 bone weights per vertex.

6) Cinematic head vertexes must be weighted at least .026 to one non-face bone (f_bone)

There is nothing more said about bone weight rules in the document.

@rjshae: Inspecting plc_du_secret_door_orig.fbx I think the problem is in the export FBX options, in particular the animation options. Make sure Baked Animation is the only checked option. Look at Step 5 of the banner tutorial.

When converting an animated placeable to FBX, only drop the MDB's and the animation file. Since version 0.4, don't drop the skeleton anymore.

I have done plc_du_secret_door.blend -> FBX -> MDB, GR2 -> FBX -> Blender and it worked.

@4760: reading the Obsidian Expotron guides I have discovered that attachment points bones (ap_*) don't count to the bone count limit either.

Edited by FreshLook

Well I still seem to be doing something wrong. The imported .fbx does have the correct animation now, so I exported it to .mdb plus .gr2 files. Now my override has the model, texture files, renamed .gr2 files (plc_du_secret_door.mdb and plc_du_secret_door_open.gr2). I set up a test module that displays the door placeable in game, which is made usable and runs a script when it is used. The script runs because I get feedback, but the following call does nothing:

object oDoor = GetObjectByTag( "plc_hu_secret_door" );

PlayCustomAnimation( oDoor, "plc_du_secret_door_open", 1 );

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why it isn't working? I tried it with a 'plc_du_secret_door_open_idle.gr2' in addition to 'plc_du_secret_door_open.gr2', but had the same outcome.

Here's the placeables.2da entry:

3000 HU_SecretDoor01 **** 2 0 PLC_DU_Secret_Door **** 0 PLC_DU_Secret_Door PLC_DU_Secret_Door_?? **** **** 0 RESERVED **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** 0 0 ****

Edited by rjshae

@4760: reading the Obsidian Expotron guides I have discovered that attachment points bones (ap_*) don't count to the bone count limit either.

The Expotron plugin even throws an error if they have any influence on a vertex.

I actually use (in 3ds max) three named sets:

- skel --> only the bones having an influence on the mesh

- anim --> skel + ap

- mesh --> mesh + COLS

The script runs because I get feedback, but the following call does nothing:

object oDoor = GetObjectByTag( "plc_hu_secret_door" );

PlayCustomAnimation( oDoor, "plc_du_secret_door_open", 1 );

Can anybody hazard a guess as to why it isn't working?

Well, since it's a placeable, I'd use rather ActionPlayAnimation(ANIMATION_PLACEABLE_OPEN);

I have been playing with it I got it working. The proper names for the placeable animations are:

• plc_du_secret_door_idle.gr2: idle animation. Used also for idle animation when closed.
  • plc_du_secret_door_plc_open.gr2: opening animation.
  • There are more, but I don't know if you are going to need them.

X_idle.gr2 is required and the others are optional.

For On Used Script I have used vanilla x2_plc_used_opn.

Edited by FreshLook