⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

MDB to FBX, FBX to MDB converter

FreshLook

I tried converting PLC_NT_Myrkul_roid04 and PLC_NT_Myrkul_roid04_idle.GR2 into an FBX file using the drag-and-drop method, but the imported FBX model didn't have an armature. I think you mentioned earlier that the tool would add at least one bone, so I'm probably not understanding something.

The tool will only create bones if there are bones in the input files. You should also convert the file containing the skeleton, which in this case is PLC_NT_Myrkul_roid04.GR2, however, I tried it and the tool doesn't find any skeleton within the file. After investigating it, I found out that the file contains a skeleton but not exactly in the way the tool expects. I need to generalize the code for finding skeletons.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to make some changes this week and then I'll release 0.3, probably saturday or sunday.

I have an issue with collision spheres. The ideal solution when converting MDB/GR2 to FBX would be that each collision sphere is linked (parented) to the corresponding bone. However, Blender doesn't import the child-parent relationship between objects and bones from FBX. Maybe other DCC's support it, but since I want it to work with as many applications as possible, I have decided to position each collision sphere at the position of its corresponding bone without parenting. When converting FBX to MDB/GR2, the tool associates a collision sphere with it's nearest bone, whether if it's parented or not.

In Blender, before modifying a skeleton or when creating a new one, you can add a "Child Of" constraint between each collision sphere and its bone so the collision spheres move with the bones. I suppose there is something equivalent in others DCCs.

Edited by FreshLook

I have released version 0.3. You can download it here: https://github.com/Arbos/nwn2mdk/releases

It has all the features I planned for version 1.0. It should be a complete replacement for Expotron plus it's also Impotron. When it's very well tested and polished so to consider it production-ready I'll release version 1.0. Now I could focus on writing tutorials. What would be the most interesting topics?

Changes:

- Added bone scaling.
- Added material flags for rigid meshes and skin meshes.
- Complete support for walk meshes.
- Added conversion of: collision spheres, hair packets, helm packets and hook packets.
- More accurate conversion of animation curves from GR2 to FBX. The animations are now smoother.
- Improved keyframe times accuracy (probably unnoticable).
- Now nw2fbx also checks for existing tga files and not only dds.
- Now fbx2nw doesn't generate MDB if it would be empty.
- Now input files can be dragged from any directory and not only from the MDK directory.
- Improved log messages.
- Fixed issue where nw2fbx missed skeletons contained in some GR2 files.
- Fixed issue where nw2fbx didn't always match a model to the right skeleton.
- Fixed issue where nw2fbx didn't export the last frame of an animation.
- Fixed crash when a bone index was out of bounds. Now a warning message is printed.
Edited by FreshLook

There are still quite a lot of NWN creatures that it would be nice to get ported over, so I'd be curious to know if there is a method to export an NWN creature and its associated animations to FBX format for use with this tool. Presumably GMax would need to be used for the initial import in combination with NWmax, per this tutorial. Looking on Google, it appears that the model then needs to be exported to an intermediate format (OBJ?) and then converted to FBX. Not sure how much of the model data would get lost in the process though.

There are still quite a lot of NWN creatures that it would be nice to get ported over, so I'd be curious to know if there is a method to export an NWN creature and its associated animations to FBX format for use with this tool. Presumably GMax would need to be used for the initial import in combination with NWmax, per this tutorial. Looking on Google, it appears that the model then needs to be exported to an intermediate format (OBJ?) and then converted to FBX. Not sure how much of the model data would get lost in the process though.

can't you just use neverblender for importing meshes along with animations? obj is not really helpful because this format doesn't support rigged meshes and animations, though with static models it should work.