Ubisoft PC activations track hardware changes

Thor.

@Haloloror

I'm not against protecting property, I just get a bit worried at what this can lead. Because I fear Piracy is not the real target there.

@Bben46

Is more on the line of testing the extent they can go before receiving active, strong reaction against the the implementation. Actually I'm not sure if "test" is the better word to use there, something like a probing, survey, which passing becomes the platform for new "flights"... else the public needs a bit more taming still.

Addendum: a bit of research is enough to show the corporations are not acting singly but under a broad orchestration with participation on several levels and overall integration. One the strongest groups being the TCG.

Edited by nosisab

If this intrusive DRM becomes a trend in the gaming industry, then I'll just have to find something else to kill all of my free time. I WISH these satanic companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft go under so they don't crowd out the real gems in the market with their garbage. The overall quality of games has declined over the past couple of years, after being spearheaded by THESE companies. In the meantime, I do recommend Paradox Interactive's games, though they are known for not properly beta testing their games. They do get patched, and have a decent modding community.

actually this "stunt" generated much publicity for their game + company

and "there is no such thing as bad publicity"

to someone over there is just tickled pink

guess they don't remember "Spoor"

@Haloloror

I'm not against protecting property, I just get a bit worried at what this can lead. Because I fear Piracy is not the real target there.

But that was not my point. SOPA has nothing to do with DRM. The majority of publishers employ some form of DRM. The majority of publishers also took up a stance against SOPA. See where I'm going here?

Addendum: a bit of research is enough to show the corporations are not acting singly but under a broad orchestration with participation on several levels and overall integration. One the strongest groups being the TCG.

I'm sorry dude, but the level of ridiculousness in your posts really just doubles with every post you make. Now you're claiming all the major players in the gaming industry are working together to bring about a state where nobody has control over their PCs?

I'm sorry, but you really need to stop. Either start posting something that is backed by cold, hard evidence and solid logic, or stop posting in these kind of threads at all. I don't come to these forums to listen to children spout wild claims and wives tales as if they're fact, and then try to pass them off as if they're the most logical conclusions ever. Ever since I first took note of your posts, you've done nothing but think up conspiracy theories with absolutely no evidence to back them up.

Edited by Halororor

If this intrusive DRM becomes a trend in the gaming industry, then I'll just have to find something else to kill all of my free time. I WISH these satanic companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft go under so they don't crowd out the real gems in the market with their garbage. The overall quality of games has declined over the past couple of years, after being spearheaded by THESE companies.

Hey now, no reason to insult satanists like that. What did they ever do to be directly compared/related to companies like that? :devil:

In the meantime, I do recommend Paradox Interactive's games, though they are known for not properly beta testing their games. They do get patched, and have a decent modding community.

I do strongly second this, Paradox has shown they have a strong connection with their customer base (almost exclusively PC). They are getting better at releasing more completed games, Sengoku was probably their most solid release ever, and they continue to patch as long as necessary to fix or adjust things based on feedback from their player base. The best example of the good and the bad was Sword of the Stars II - the game released in what can only be described as a late-Alpha/early-Beta state (developed by Kerberos, produced by Paradox), Paradox stepped up, accepted much of the blame, then did everything in their power to make it right with their customers. They made arrangements to get refunds/Steam credit to folks who wanted it, and gave Sword of the Stars I as well as all DLC for II for free to anyone who had gotten the game within the first month and a half of release. They also helped Kerberos get things moved along so that patches were released as often as 3 times a week getting the game into a playable released state (still seeing a patch a week for bug fixes and balancing today, and the game released back before Skyrim). It isn't often you see the CEO of a company come to the forums and outright apologize to the customer base, especially not a game company.