Steam workshop EULA

s73al7h

Plenty of game companies (*cough* EA and Activision *cough*) do stuff that rivals or even exceeds dickery like that and turn huge profits...In fact, the largest game producers (*cough* EA and Activision *cough*) also tend to be some of the most hated ones in terms of a**hole business practices.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of game companies (*cough* EA and Activision *cough*) do stuff that rivals or even exceeds dickery like that and turn huge profits...In fact, the largest game producers (*cough* EA and Activision *cough*) also tend to be some of the most hated ones in terms of a**hole business practices.

Which has caused them to reverse direction in the past. Look at the proposal that all weapon mods for Modern Warfare 2 would be buyable DLC. They massive public outcry caused the higher ups to overrule Mr. d***head (Can't remember his name... Thinks CoD is the only thing keeping Xbox Live going...) and reinstate the experience system.

The 'To charge' decision hasn't even, to anyone knowlege, been made here, and already theres massive public outcry against it.

Bethesda have a huge fanbase. And even if EA is the most hated one, all there games are selling perfect.

I say Beth could do it and don't have to care about future sells, it's planned by the industrie to cut of PC gaming in the long run anyways.

Edited by 3AMt

Except profit from PC gaming has been going up in the last 6 years and is expected to surpass consoles by 2017, and most devs know this and that's why game dev expenditure on pc games has also been going up.

saying game Devs "plan to cut off pc gaming in the long run" is untrue.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

Yeaaahhh... I've never heard of this 'Cutting off PC gaming' claim. In fact, most analysts i've seen aregue that the shift is likely to go back to PC gaming, as the development of next-Gen consoles is prohibitive, and the cost of computers has been decreasing steadily.

Yeaaahhh... I've never heard of this 'Cutting off PC gaming' claim. In fact, most analysts i've seen aregue that the shift is likely to go back to PC gaming, as the development of next-Gen consoles is prohibitive, and the cost of computers has been decreasing steadily.

That, and with the rise of digital distribution Devs end up making around 4 times the profit per unit sold then they do if it is sold in stores.

PC versions can sell 1/4 the copies and make almost the same amount of profit because all the fees associated with making the disk/box/shipping/store mark ups etc. are gone.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

well we all know the workshop is going to change the landscape of modding here. to what degree remains to be seen. but since this is one of the largest and consistent community they are going to try and glean as much profit out of it as possible.

some of our modders will jump ship immediately at the thought of making coin for their work and only find out they supported a break down of the community.

others will argue about why the workshop is useful and helpful steam is good and all that

others will vehemently go out of their way to not use the workshop

and others will use both and not care about and precedent set

the core here as we have seen is steam being forced on us people swallowed and played and now the workshop will be integrated right into the launcher and force us to run steam to use the ck

my long view is that skyrim is the last game in this series to have a free ck and we will lease the next incarnation from something like steam and if we decide to lease it the material made will not be solely owned by us because it was made with the ck code

I may be jumping the gun and it will take 2 incarnations to occur 8 to 10 years but its inevitable

and its inevitable because most have no long sight of how our decisions set precedent for the future

and steam will have all kinds of legal paperwork completed about mod rights and such by the time the ck launches with it.

i hope people truly do stay the course for free sharing of mods but really looking at how things go only the hard cores are not going to use the workshop and many will attempt to cash in on their mod skills via the workshop. maybe not right away but its only a matter of time

• 2 weeks later...
i like the fact that your mod has to be accepted by steam before it will become downloadable! what they are basically saying is that as far as they are concerned it is o.k. for your 9 year old to shoot people, blow them up, run them over in a car or hack their heads of with a sword/axe but no nudity because seeing a few titties might scar them emotionally! youv'e got to laugh really!

Personally for my self steam is very overrated i wont be using steam as ive never really liked the system and its done more damage to my gaming experience over the years than its given back in return.

I cant count the amount of times ive either had a game delivered early and wanted to play the SP part and not been allowed until they said so! or when i did not have a internet connection once and still could not play the game i just bought really infuriated me. sure i could understand not being allowed to play MP but SP give me a break its my game that i just paid for.

and as for steam being cheap well 9 times out of 10 i have found its more expensive for a digital virtual copy! of the game that for me to go & pick up the physical hard copy which i much prefer.

EG : steam skyrim £35:99. skyrim delivers to my door £28.99

so as for supporting steam err no i will be using the nexus exclusively