Steam workshop EULA

s73al7h

For example, You may not license the Contribution to a third party on an exclusive basis

Was the only line in that aggreement that had me worried for a moment. But its just saying that mods that you submited to Steamworkshop can't be then at a later date made exclusive to another third party group.

You could make an exclusive transference to another party when ever you want, the thing is the contacts you made while being the copyright holder would still be valid, ie the contract terms you agreed with SW would not be invalidated. what I think they mean is that under no circumstance after you upload can the license you grant them be voided. But that's pretty standard.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, You may not license the Contribution to a third party on an exclusive basis

Was the only line in that aggreement that had me worried for a moment. But its just saying that mods that you submited to Steamworkshop can't be then at a later date made exclusive to another third party group.

You could make an exclusive transference to another party when ever you want, the thing is the contacts you made while being the copyright holder would still be valid, ie the contract terms you agreed with SW would not be invalidated. what I think they mean is that under no circumstance after you upload can the license you grant them be voided. But that's pretty standard.

Yep. I'd say they are being pretty resonable. I think the 25% of profit rate for contributions sold for a fee is normal for software sold on Steam too. Which considering they are doing all the leg work of Taxes, Advertisements, collecting the fees, paying Vendor costs (Visa, paypal, etc etc) is a pretty slick deal for a mod to a game you didn't make.

Edited by gengrimm

with Unreal, Epic takes 25% of profits over 50k, after the 30% fees to the likes of apple and M$ are paid. It's a bit different, but I guess it's like licensing the platform/engine and for all the other things mentioned.

Oh and no, I don't think it's reasonable at all.

Edited by Ghogiel

hah...

wait until they have their hands directly in our access to the modding tools and own rights to them. that is inevitable and will come.

why is anyone at all surprised by steam stuff?

steam does what...

houses data and other people's work and collects demographics which it sells and charges fees and sells advertising

of course mods are going to be owned by them. with the hits on nexus and how large this community is the vampire steam can cash in on more of other peoples works. selling ads for mods and owning the rights to them for doing nothing but storing data on a server.

let's face it however. this stuff is inevitable. not many will read the eula and not many truly care. the strictness of moderation here on flexibility and how it has grown has groomed a community of people who are not going to really fight for the nexus.

steam workshop will change the modding landscape and few will remember in a few years time how it once was an option to download patches manually and to have free access to modding tools and source code.

it wont happen tomorrow but it will happen.

each incarnation in these threats to our privacy and free sharing I think hey this time people are going to get pissed and really take it to them...

i have now realized this is not ever going to happen and what is happening now is already done.

each incarnation in these threats to our privacy and free sharing I think hey this time people are going to get pissed and really take it to them...

i have now realized this is not ever going to happen and what is happening now is already done.

*sigh* privacy is a socially established relationship which has no concrete, quantifyable meaning. It changes as a society changes. It has been becomming much less important, on a social level, in the western world for the last 60 years. SOME people, particularly those in government and those adverse to change, don't understand the mutability of their own society, and are stuck in the archaic mentality of inalienable rights. Get over it, read some literature on the subject, and please by Azura's right tit realise that the free-flow of information is the ONLY way we are going to progress into the future.

Entities like Valve, through programs like Steam, are facilitating that shift. They are a step in the right direction, though i admit conservative ideals of privacy, ownership and control corrupt the potential of mediums such as Steam. Still, there is absolutely no hard indication that the Steamworkshop will result in a lack of control over your own mods, and there is the barest circumstantial evidence that they would ever try to charge for them.

Entities like Valve, through programs like Steam, are facilitating that shift. They are a step in the right direction, though i admit conservative ideals of privacy, ownership and control corrupt the potential of mediums such as Steam. Still, there is absolutely no hard indication that the Steamworkshop will result in a lack of control over your own mods, and there is the barest circumstantial evidence that they would ever try to charge for them.

For one all these enties like Value are not for the free flow of information one bit. They collect that information for their own use and do not publish it freely for anyone to use. The EULA on all these things are as much an indicator of intent imo. And if you read them, they are granting themselves some very broad and powerful licensing rights over your content.

Programs like Steam, Impulse, Origin etc DO facilitate free flow of information, though not in an absolute sense. They give the infiromation about customers back to game producers, which then influances what games are made. Am i the only one who remembers the days when every game you bought has a survey card in it? This type of system has replaced that cumbersome system with something easier on everyone but the parinoid.

As for the whole EULA, as i said, the true potential of the dynamic is tainted by conservative (Not the political philosophy) tendancies. As i said, they are a Step in the right direction but they can't be considered the end result.

Edited by Lachdonin

Origin is up. you might be missing key trends here.

Value of the companies will skyrocket into the multi bil range as more users are locked down onto the network. Think facebooks worth and why it is estimated to be as such.

Pretty sure they aren't giving the collected data away, it's probably part of the paid service. There might be flow, but it's not free.

Regardless of the disparity between absolute free-flow, and the curent dynamic, only a fool would argue that there is less flow than there was 10 years ago. Money, and making it, is a secondary issue on this compared to the fact that the information is no longer insular to individual companies. It used to be, IF you filled out a survey for, say, Square Soft, only Square got the information. Now, through programs like Steam, there are a multitude of companies who receive the same information, not jsut Valve. This ensures that the development of products is realted to consumer interests, which in turn gives said consumers what they want. Yes, the dynamic is tainted by capital intrest, but its still superior to the old dynamic. And that's not even touching on the resource-base issues conventional distribution causes.

But i digress, making claims that Valve is trying to control the moding community, when it's already been state multipul times that A; the EULA in question does not apply to the CK, B; Bethesda has stated that there will be no obligation to load your files to the Steamworkshop and C; the EULA for past CS platforms has already established that Bethesda has control of the modding community (but has yet to exercise that control) issimply ignoring the information at hand in favor of being parinoid.

Edited by Lachdonin