MEGAUPLOAD DOWN

monoto7

After the internet blackouts yesterday megaupload was taken down. The Feds accused megaupload of having most of its users visit for piracy, despite the fact that most of megauploads traffic was legitimate. anyone got any comment on this?

I can't even connect to it, just tried.

People used that over torrents mostly because the file is removed after 30 days, I think. It used to be like that when I used it (way back in the day before you could have large e-mail attachments...such a pain trying to send high res pictures). It was inevitable, UMG was suing them.

Found a little article on it:

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/01/19/megaupload-shutdown-of-the-day/

Love the 500 million they supposedly lost through this site. I call BS on those numbers. Sales are down, yeah, but that's because nobody wants to buy crap music and games anymore. It's all the same cookie cutter mainstream crap, people are sick of it.

Edited by Illiad86

nobody wants to buy crap music and games anymore. It's all the same cookie cutter mainstream crap, people are sick of it.

I think the whole entertainment industry is in complete denial and/or ignorance of this simple fact. I have not been to the cinema in years, mainly because nothing there interests me these days. What happened to genuinely well-made films and music? I refuse to accept that piracy is the sole cause of the entertainment industry's decline. I think the more likely issue is that lacklustre products simply won't sell - no matter what industry we are talking about :P

Movies are a corrupted art form, and almost always have been. I can only name a small handfull of films I would actually describe as "works of art", the rest exist only to earn money in a completely shameless manner.

As for Megaupload...

Well, everyone knows the sort of stuff people were uploading there. Megaupload seemingly had no effective system in place to deal with that, so it's their own fault at the end of the day. I think this is a deserved takedown, because despite my points above, I do feel piracy IS wrong and should indeed be punished.

nobody wants to buy crap music and games anymore. It's all the same cookie cutter mainstream crap, people are sick of it.

I think the whole entertainment industry is in complete denial and/or ignorance of this simple fact. I have not been to the cinema in years, mainly because nothing there interests me these days. What happened to genuinely well-made films and music? I refuse to accept that piracy is the sole cause of the entertainment industry's decline. I think the more likely issue is that lacklustre products simply won't sell - no matter what industry we are talking about :P

Movies are a corrupted art form, and almost always have been. I can only name a small handfull of films I would actually describe as "works of art", the rest exist only to earn money in a completely shameless manner.

As for Megaupload...

Well, everyone knows the sort of stuff people were uploading there. Megaupload seemingly had no effective system in place to deal with that, so it's their own fault at the end of the day. I think this is a deserved takedown, because despite my points above, I do feel piracy IS wrong and should indeed be punished.

Megaupload was registered and were indeed looking after their files. However, many people shifted by putting pirated things upon the site, and the site couldn't keep up. Next thing you know, Utorrent will get taken down because they can't track all of their torrents, then Rapidshare, etc.

Considering everyone knows Rapidshare is also being used in the same manner, it's inevitable. They're probably already under investigation even.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for MegaVirus. They got what was coming to them.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for MegaVirus. They got what was coming to them.

Not really a fair assumption, all things considered. All sites which host files are subject to this issue, including this one. Unless you manually check every single file for illegal content before hosting it, and actively lurk in various illegal places to see if anything is linking back to your site, there is no way you will catch everything, or even most things. Sites like Megaupload, Rapidshare, and even this one are largely dependent on users of that site raising red flags over questionable material.

I suspect your tone would change if some game company decided to toss a frivolous lawsuit against the Nexus (essentially causing it to close completely) because of some mod which may or may not contain stolen assets from their game and we weren't able to definitively prove the assets were stolen, or were not notified of the file to even look. It would really only take one.

My theory is most of these people doing the shutting down etc. are starting to think SOPA won't pass, and so they're giving a big Eff You to anyone who uses those, as well as the sites themselves.

This is a huge reason why--maybe I am wrong--that Nexus is so hard case on people using copyrighted stuff. All we need is someone getting a hair up their butt and bye-bye, Nexus.