nexus hate?

gloomygrim

As for the "piracy" issue , I go with Jim Sterling's view.

http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-piracy-episode-1-copyright-220166.phtml

(contains swearing!)

Really refreshing to see somebody as hard-headed as that guy admit in public that they were wrong.

I don't believe Bethesda cares so much about the clean image of the Nexus... especially when it comes to "foul language" i really think you guys are overdoing it.

I also don't believe Bethesda particularly cares about the modding community, just wait and see how it goes with Steam Workshop. I predict the popularity of this site will drop sharply as many will prefer to only use "official" mods.

Seems to me a lot of people here are hoping to get a job wih Bethesda....good luck.

My point is that Bethesda and other big money makers are not the modding community's friends. . . That’s not where their biggest customer base is.

Edited by Jaguarnaut

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you fail to understand and accept is that we are guests in Dark0ne's house, his rules apply. If you don't like the rules please do go elsewhere.

As for the ban system, it is an all or nothing condition because of the symbiotic nature of the forums and the file sites. This may change in the future, but it is the way things are now that is in our control.

You have a right to your opinion, but how and where you express it is an option...if expressing that option violates the rules of the sites/forums or the TOS, you will feel the door slamming shut behind you on your way out.

As for Bethesda and steam, we wish them all the success they are entitled to. But the mod makers decide where and if they will upload their mods, in the end they hold that power. Do you wonder why they upload here, it is because the small staff here act in unison and a single accord with no hidden agendas. We swing a ban hammer with equal force to uploader and user alike, it does not matter who you are or what you have uploaded if you become a pita and more trouble than you are worth you will be shown the door.

You seem to be protesting to much about something that you have been a member of for a little over three weeks, so tell us what is your contribution to the community other than you somewhat one sided opinion.

I predict the popularity of this site will drop sharply as many will prefer to only use "official" mods.

There have been an "official" mod repository for The Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, and it is called PlanetElderScrolls. It is the "official" mod repository for Bethesda. Do you see more people using that than the Nexus? I seriously doubt it - even the Morrowind section is slower there than here, and PES is known for it's Morrowind section.^^ (I add a "" to it, because it is not really official, but unlike the Nexus, it is endorsed by Bethesda)

New people might use Steam Workshop when the first arrive because it is so simple. (Since apparently, it's some kind of "Install & Play" software), but will soon come over to the Nexus when they realize that the big mods don't work that way, but have one more stage to it: Install, Tweak, Play. And very often a fourth stage as well: Install, Tweak, Troubleshoot, Play. This is, unless Valve and Bethesda changes their approach to mod installation.

Another thing that will keep people coming to the Nexus is in fact the most popular kind of mod (based on downloads, I might add) Nude mods - I am 99% certain that nude mods will not be allowed on Steam Workshop.

Edited by Zaldiir

You are free to download mods from some other site's servers if you are IP banned. But if you prove you cannot follow the minimal rules here then you do not deserve to use Dark0ne's servers. Or you may find a work around that I hope is a big pain in your arse.

The rules are simply not to make a disparaging post on a mod simply because you do not like it. Simply pass it by and look through the thousands of offerings for something you do like. If you don't find anything than post in the forums requesting someone to make it for you, or help you in actually making it for yourself.

Be civil, be respectful with regard to language and nudity.

There's really not much else to it.

Edit:

Ah, I forgot that one other niggling little issue, the one I suspect caught you up.

We don't support pirates, we don't allow piracy to be advocated nor supported in any way. And we are tough on copyright infringement.

You know, I really would have supported your unban, had you not insisted on creating multiple accounts to bypass your ban(s) over and over while waiting for an unban that you had already been assured would probably come about.

You are not entitled to use Dark0ne's servers.

The rules apply to you.

That's your fault.

If I've mistaken your identity, just consider that which applies and disregard the rest. :ninja:

Actually the mod software is in the public domain , right? Or is it owned by the site owner? If not, why are people allowed or blocked from downloading according to the discretion of the site owner?

Mods are public domain. My sites aren't public property. Mod authors choose where they upload their mods, and can upload to more than one site. Your argument makes sense if you're arguing against, say, forum bans on the EA forums banning people from playing the games they've paid for. It doesn't apply here.

Some people actually need certain mods just to be able to play the game.

These people should read the rules and ensure they don't get themselves banned, then. It's not our fault people break the rules.

But for a nice community vibe I'd estimate you'de need one moderator per 100 members and one admin per 500.... otherwise you are forced to deal with people off-handedly because there is simply no time to separate the good from the bad apples.

So we need 30,000 moderators and 6,000 admins :facepalm:

As for the "piracy" issue , I go with Jim Sterling's view.

http://www.destructo...ht-220166.phtml

I turned it off after 4 minutes as it was clear the guy had no clue about how businesses, contracts, licenses and LAWS work.

I pay employees to code for me now. The code they do is my property. They don't own that code. It's in the contract they sign before they start working for me. When they leave, they cannot take their code with them. That's how every single job works (except for in very individual, special cases). It's right. And it makes sense. Game developers know this before they sign over the rights to their work to publishers, or investors. They cannot then turn around 4 years later, unless there's been a breach of contract, and say "we feel hard done by because all our hard work is owned by someone else". Because that's stupid.

So you're a new game developer and you have a cool idea, but you have no money to actually develop the game. You go to a person who can bankroll your idea and pay you for your work, but in turn you agree to hand over ownership of your work to the person who bankrolled it. That is THAT. That's how things work. That's how they always have worked and how they always should work. For pirates to try and whiteknight themselves by saying "this game made the people who bankrolled it rich, therefore I'm going to pirate it so they don't get my money" is thick as s#*! talk. If you disagree with the practises of an individual, or a company, or a multi-national you don't use their product FULL STOP. You don't use their product without paying for it. It IS stealing. I hate this stupid, pants-on-head-retarded sense of entitlement that some pirates have that they have a RIGHT to have, play, watch or listen to anything and everything without paying for it. That, above all else, is the pirate I hate. "I couldn't afford it, so I pirated it". NO NO NO NO NO. If you can't afford it, you don't get it! If you steal a Ferrari because you can't afford one, you get put in prison. If you steal a game because you can't afford it you should be given the same, or similar, punishment. That's all there is to it.

I think this whole argument of piracy is exacerbated by kids who earn no money but who want it all, or by adults who don't have enough money to fulfil their ever increasing demand for consumer goods. Piracy is the one area of life where you can get something, for nothing, with a very low risk of getting caught. And when you do get caught, or people try and limit the possibilities for people to do this, these people go bat-s#*! crazy about censorship and what not when it is THEM who is in the wrong.

I don't support these SOPA or PIPA acts, but I think there's this extremely dumb, massively transparent and patently over-exaggerated naivety about the whole thing. Want to know the difference between the Nexus and MegaUpload when it comes to user uploaded material? We actively seek out copyright infringing work and remove it without being asked. MegaUpload didn't. We don't wait for a DMCA takedown notice; if we know something has been uploaded that breaks the law we remove it. All this talk about "did they know? Didn't they know?" is plain stupid. Of course they bloody-well knew their site was a massive haven for copyright infringement, and if they'd used some of the $175m they made in profit to pay for more employees to better monitor this content then things could have been very different, instead of using the profits to buy expensive cars and massive mansions. Then again, removing copyrighted stuff from MegaUpload would have completely destroyed their business model and they wouldn't have survived...so, catch 22 I guess. Knowingly support piracy and become millionaires, or don't break the law and don't make any money...we'll see which one they'd rather pick after they've spent a few years bending over to pick up the soap in prison.

As much as you might hate the rich people in this world, especially the corrupt ones, they got to where they are today either because they worked their damn socks off, or because their mummy or daddy did and they inherited it. Yes, even the corrupt ones. Either way that money came from hard work, and money makes money. To chastise a person because they are rich is so thickwitted it's worthless even arguing it. If there's one thing I hate it's people without money judging people who do, because invariably the people without money have no idea how much work it took to accumulate that sum of money. For me, what it all boils down to is one very simple human emotion: jealously. I have a quote I like to use when people talk about these sorts of things: "Don't tell me that power can corrupt a person, you haven't had enough to know what it's like". I haven't had enough, but I'm not shortsighted enough to not know of, and think about the blood, sweat, tears, temptations and evil that goes hand in hand with accumulating more power, and more money. It's a more pointed strand of thought similar to "Walk in a man's shoes for a day before you judge him".

All this talk from pirates trying to justify their actions gets me wound up the wrong way. Trying to defend it is so dumb. Yes, defending our inalienable rights and freedoms is very important. Our right and our freedom to piracy does not exist. We do not have a right to pirate things. And that's what pisses me off. This stupid sense of entitlement that rises from all this talk with the pong of a curry fart.

I don't believe Bethesda cares so much about the clean image of the Nexus... especially when it comes to "foul language" i really think you guys are overdoing it.

I don't do that for Bethesda. I do it for me.

I think this whole argument of piracy is exacerbated by kids who earn no money but who want it all, or by adults who don't have enough money to fulfil their ever increasing demand for consumer goods. Piracy is the one area of life where you can get something, for nothing, with a very low risk of getting caught. And when you do get caught, or people try and limit the possibilities for people to do this, these people go bat-s*** crazy about censorship and what not when it is THEM who is in the wrong.

I don't support these SOPA or PIPA acts, but I think there's this extremely dumb, massively transparent and patently over-exaggerated naivety about the whole thing. Want to know the difference between the Nexus and MegaUpload when it comes to user uploaded material? We actively seek out copyright infringing work and remove it without being asked. MegaUpload didn't. We don't wait for a DMCA takedown notice; if we know something has been uploaded that breaks the law we remove it.

Quoted because I am nodding my head in agreement.

I do not support SOPA or PIPA either. It's because I dislike the scattergun effect and the fact that they involve both a presumption of guilt with action being taken before the defendant can speak in their own defence (and thus are ripe for being used maliciously and vexatiously), and an attempt by one country to claim the right to interfere in the jurisdictions of others. They are also unnecessary because, as the Megaupload case proves, (and there has been a similar case in the UK where BT was ordered to block a file locker site), existing laws are sufficient .

That being the case, I am no pirate myself and I can see what Dark0ne is saying, there is a lot of over exaggeration going on, and no doubt most of it from those who do a fair bit of pirating. I've been saying all along that the Nexus is a totally different kind of site to the ones that are under the cosh.

I do not support SOPA or PIPA either. It's because I dislike the scattergun effect

Agreed entirely. The concept of stopping or preventing piracy is something I wholeheartedly support, and something I'm sure you'll find most other sites out there (that aren't facilitating piracy) agree with, but the way to go about it has to be the right way.

Two examples.

1. DRM on games. It's proven not to work and is only to the detriment of legitimate users, so why bother?

2. Those "anti-piracy" clips you are forced to watch on the legitimate DVD you paid for. You can't skip them, and they run for 50 seconds. I'VE BOUGHT YOUR PRODUCT, STOP PUNISHING ME!

It's why I tend to think most of these businesses hire people as thick as the pirates they're trying to prevent. It's a never-ending cycle of shooting yourself in the foot and general illogical stupidity.

Pirates don't make games and have no idea how hard and costly it can be. Publishers and marketeers (and politicians actually too!) don't play games and may have no idea firsthand how it is and it seems fewer and fewer care to hire beta-testers, not to say game's protection itself unlikely gets a playtest before release (not that I heard of it). So here it goes :) Edited by Sarya