NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...

I understand (2nd hand, of course, simply reading the NMM feedback threads) that virtualised folders in NMM haven't worked too well, but it's absolutely one of the core aspects of MO that makes it, from my experience, a preferred mod manager tool (and something that has rarely, if ever broken).

I know you guys aren't look for suggestions in the comments section, but for the love of goodness, please make a "dark" option. That has never been implemented and the long hours people spend modding, it would just be better for our eyes.

We hope that it's being skimmed though, I suppose :)

And +1 for a 'dark' theme, a 'night' mode!

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085 are all replies on the same post.

ShmooZ wrote: I say name it Nexus Mod Organizer!
Elianora wrote: +1
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: +1
TacticalAce wrote: NMO sounds like MMO when spoken, just saying..
nappilydeestructio wrote: +2
lued123 wrote: +1 because we can call it NeMO.
azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.

So it can't really qualify to be called in a similar way... :smile:

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).

lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.
opusGlass wrote: +1 the community has already been calling it this anyway

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...

Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

So, consider that name vetoed.

opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?

As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.

And finally, please. If anything from MO gets retained, the virtual folders at very least as an option would be appreciated.

And so it doesn't just sound like a whingey 'that's the way I like, so don't change' kind of request, there's a really practical reason:

multiple-users

Not everyone in the house has a gaming PC, but everyone in the house has a login on my gaming rig.

End result: everyone plays Skyrim (or FO4, etc etc) on my PC at some point.

Virtualising the mods and keeping the installed game folder 'vanilla' has been an absolute god-send. I dread to think what 3 people, all modding with their own idea of what mods should be installed, would end up doing to a single folder otherwise.

I'd suggest that for quite a number of people (I'm looking at the older crew, I guess, those with kids - who look with envy at the parental units gaming rigs, and those in share houses, or siblings sharing a PC) fencing off individual user (at an OS level) modding makes life so much easier, it does for me.

In response to post #47428125.

ozoak wrote:

How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...

I understand (2nd hand, of course, simply reading the NMM feedback threads) that virtualised folders in NMM haven't worked too well, but it's absolutely one of the core aspects of MO that makes it, from my experience, a preferred mod manager tool (and something that has rarely, if ever broken).

I know you guys aren't look for suggestions in the comments section, but for the love of goodness, please make a "dark" option. That has never been implemented and the long hours people spend modding, it would just be better for our eyes.

In response to post #47378955. #47379635, #47380245, #47380310, #47380615, #47380650, #47380665, #47380780, #47381010, #47381020, #47381085 are all replies on the same post.

azraal wrote: Nah, the most important feature of mod organizer, the virtual file system, won't be here anyway, or so i read somewhere.

So instead, to make sure that even if Tannin is in the team, people don't get the wrong idea, how about NNMO which means NNMO is Not ModOrganizer (what? At least some of you will understand the joke. And maybe the joke inside the joke. But this one is common knowledge now).
lued123 wrote: I don't think we've heard anything about whether it will have a variation of MO's file system. I imagine it will, at least as an option. The whole point of this merger is to take the best bits of both, not to dumb down MO by removing its main advantage.

And yeah I definitely expect a virtual file system, they did hire MO's developer to make it after all...
Dark0ne wrote: Just to nip this one in the bud so we don't get spammed with +1s, we won't be calling it Nexus Mod Organizer.

Mainly because I simply don't like the name "Mod Organizer". Nothing against Tannin at all!

opusGlass wrote: Darn okay. Any confirmation for/against a virtual file system, Dark0ne?

As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch.

Similarly, we're making the software as open source and as easily extendible/extensible as possible, so if we don't do something, some devs could. Modding the mod manager, in essence. Modception.

And finally, please. If anything from MO gets retained, the virtual folders at very least as an option would be appreciated.

And so it doesn't just sound like a whingey 'that's the way I like, so don't change' kind of request, there's a really practical reason:

multiple-users

Not everyone in the house has a gaming PC, but everyone in the house has a login on my gaming rig.

Virtualising the mods and keeping the installed game folder 'vanilla' has been an absolute god-send. I dread to think what 3 people, all modding with their own idea of what mods should be installed, would end up doing to a single folder otherwise.

I'd suggest that for quite a number of people (I'm looking at the older crew, I guess, those with kids - who look with envy at the parental units gaming rigs, and those in share houses, or siblings sharing a PC) fencing off individual user (at an OS level) modding makes life so much easier, it does for me.

+1 for virtual folders

In response to post #47428125. #47428205 is also a reply to the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

TzeHuen wrote: +1 for virtual folders

+2 for virtual folders

In response to post #47414155. #47419290 is also a reply to the same post.

silencer711 wrote: How about [Nexus One Manager] or "NOM". Since this will be the HUB of all of one's mod library, it is both professional and theoretically if the plans for the NEW Mod Manager delves into the Revolutionary/Versatile category; Most advanced, all-inclusive mod manager ever created. I see "One" to manage them, and "One" to rule them all. :)
RancidRick wrote: Sauron Mod Manager?

Sounds tasty hehehe om nom nom nom

In response to post #47428125. #47428205, #47431185 are all replies on the same post.

ozoak wrote:

multiple-users

TzeHuen wrote: +1 for virtual folders
xXBalthorXx wrote: +2 for virtual folders

+666 for virtual folders, NMM is useless without it.

In response to post #47393330. #47394385, #47409845, #47410090, #47410120, #47411905, #47414300, #47426290 are all replies on the same post.

TheShoxter wrote: How about calling it Vortex? It's going to be the all-in-one perfect mod manager it seems, so the name represents the combinations of functions all coming together. It also sounds dope.

Current Nexus logo can already be appropriated for this name, it resembles a swirling vortex.
dark_wizzie wrote: Vortex, the ultimate in mod management!!!
GenBloodhorn wrote: Not bad really. Its nice. +1
kazuakisama wrote: I agree. Also avoids confusion with old NMM.

+1
bunnyman280 wrote: Vortex does sound cooler
AedanClarke wrote: Of all the suggestions I've seen, I personally like Vortex the most by far. It sounds cool, is quick to say, quick to type, and isn't a boring acronym.

+1
silencer711 wrote: I actually like Vortex a lot. It's a new name altogether and long name could be NVM (Nexus Vortex Manager) or something. I like VORTEX better than my own suggestion lol :)
IronGator454 wrote: Vortex sounds great! Its a name that sticks out and makes you think when you read it. It literally pulls you into it. Seems a very fitting name for such a great new manager. +1

Vortex +1
Just hope they add a " Dark" UI option. Edited by Guest