Modding Armor for CHSBHC BBP tutorial for 3ds max

CherryHotaling

ok here is what i do (i do not know how to show screenshots sorry) i open CHSBHC-V2.3-Physics-Bone-T-Pose then i import the body mesh i turn off skeleton and camras then. next i import the amor. both of these i discheck skeloton and camres i then make a smooth modifirer for both the body and the armor next i set the smooth modifirer to 2 then i delete the skin on the armor then i copy the skin from the CHSBHC body into the armor after that i click on the skin modifirer highlight the edit button i click on a bone and there is no color change on the body. also even though i dont import any other skeloton other than the CHSBHC one each skin has a diffrent set of bones.

i dont know what i am doing wrong any help? i am useing 3ds max 2012 if that helps

Make sure you click the Edit Envelopes button then click a bone in the list below that to check

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry, why is it that the Smoothing modifier makes a difference? I know that it rectifies the vertex count and order, rectifying the blend issue - I just don't understand why it has this effect!

P.S. My first armour mod is near completion! Should be done by the weekend, with luck! (Texturing has been such a pain)

Well after a ton of trial and error I found that the niftools plugins strip the smooth modifier on the mesh when you import into max.

So to fix this actually have to recreate it in max again.

Hi all,

I have a 2 point question:

If I use additional modifiers like Edit Poly , Skin Wrap, Morpher, ect -- Where does the Smooth Modifier go -- just under the "Skin" Modifier?

And also, why just the "2" under smooth ?

Sorry if the answer is obvious >.>

Smooth should go under skin and above your last edit mesh modifier.

I found that setting it to 2 actually smoothes it and is acceptable for the game.

1) Sorry, my english is really bad :D

2) I have problem when i wear that "prison clothes" all is ok (game show me original armor), but when i want set body weight by "setnpcweight 1" or by "showracemenu" and slide body weight, game shut down and jump to windows... i was try that "NialphaProperty" deleting from "my NEW cloth" and copying from "original cloth" ------> "my NEW cloth" but it dont help me :(

BTW you say:

"The armor I used as an example doesnt have a "NialphaProperty"............................. but on screens what U have in tutorial, U have "NialphaProperty". So i dont understand it and when i finish i have different numbers next to text :( lets see.

http://thumbnails45.imagebam.com/17384/98238f173839307.jpg

Not all armors/clothing have a "NialphaProperty"

You must make a prisoner_0 and a prisoner_1 (Not sure if thats the name of the file im at work right now) files. Otherwise if you dont have a _0 file or you dont have a _1 file the game will crash as it doesnt know how to slide the verticies from one to the other.

Your Numbers may be different thats ok.

Hi guys, I'm a maya user and trying to learn max. This problem might be stupid but it really annoys me and I don't know how to solve this. I am using max 2011, everytime when I open the max skeleton file those bones just show up as dummy objects, not the "linked cross" type like showed in the tutorial picture. They are blocking my views and I can't even have a clear view of my mesh. I can't find a way to adjust the bone size either, there seems no option like in maya you have a slider for joint size. Could anyone help? Thanks!!

Can you post a screenshot?

I really have no idea what you mean? I would love to help you.

Hey Cherry and everyone, I have problem that I can't seem to troubleshoot and I've read the Q&A. The problem is that I still keep getting the "explosive" body, or expanded - shaped like a diamond - type of problem. I've checked every "smooth" that they are in "2" and made sure I've replaced everything in the mesh that I'm modding with the skin from CHSBHC, of course I've also made sure it also had "Smooth - 2" and it's under "Skin". I've also done the copy pasting and removing the BSlightingShader on all Ninodes. It still persists.

Also, I didn't bother making "clothing_0" so I cloned the finished project "clothing_1" as well as "clothing_0". It seems logical that it should work. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

This wont work you cant clone the _1 and name it _0 and use the slider.

set your body weight to max and if the problem is fixed it is because you are using the _1 and _0 that have different vertex counts in them.

Hi,

I have worked through this very thorough and nicely made tutorial a couple of times but the mesh I make with it always crashes the game. The first thing I noticed in the guide was that you said you were offering the bone file for people using 3dsmax 2010 or 2011. I was unable to find in the tutorial what users of 2012 should do? Do I use the same steps?

Using the same steps I ended up in Nifscope missing hand and skirt bones. I'm not sure if other things were messed up too, maybe. I tried copying the bones over, but the game still crashed.

Please help me before I really break something.

Thanks

Hi,

I have worked through this very thorough and nicely made tutorial a couple of times but the mesh I make with it always crashes the game. The first thing I noticed in the guide was that you said you were offering the bone file for people using 3dsmax 2010 or 2011. I was unable to find in the tutorial what users of 2012 should do? Do I use the same steps?

Using the same steps I ended up in Nifscope missing hand and skirt bones. I'm not sure if other things were messed up too, maybe. I tried copying the bones over, but the game still crashed.

Please help me before I really break something.

Thanks

2012 will work just fine.

if you export as It says in the tutorial then it will remove the bones not used which is fine.

Post a screen shot of your modifier list in 3ds max before you export so I can see what it looks like.

Also it is imperative that you copy the lighting shader in nifscope.

Thanks for the tutorial, Cherry! I have a tip, in exchange for an answer to a question!

In regards to morphing _0 to _1, I found a fairly neat way of doing it (in 2012, at least). Add both _0 and _1 to the scene, and select _0. Add the "Morph" modifier, and select _1 as the morph target. Select _1, right click and hide the object. Select _0 again, and there's a list of channels for that modifier, and the first should now be 0%. If you turn it up to 100%, it should do exactly as Skyrim does with the weight slider. Turn it back down to 0% after briefly testing that it works.

Now import the armour model. Edit the mesh so that it fits snug against the body. When done, deselect the selection mode (e.g. vertex selection of Editable Mesh) so that it doesn't interfere with the next steps. Add the "Skin Wrap" modifier, and select _0 for its target (add button, click body). At this point, it may think for a while to process things. Select _0 again, and the morph modifier, sliding it up to 100%. Now toggle back to the armour - you should find that things have changed, though it may not look right. Tweak the falloff, distance influence, and if needed check Blend to Base Mesh. Your armour should now scale appropriately with the body! Should be able to export at 0% and 100% accordingly with very little extra effort.

And now for my question - admittedly I have no desire to really modify existing armour, only to create new. How does your tutorial change if you don't have an original armour NIF? I'd like to create my own models, textures, and ideally specular maps too (no idea how the latter are handled). That said, I'm hoping the CK has stuff to handle this when it comes out.

This is excellent thank you for sharing this I will have to try it.

I used to make morph targets for facial expressions on my characters (Not skyrim related)

To make new armor you need to somehow replace an existing or create a new. Problem is if you create brand new one im not sure what the Dismember modifier would be nor the extra file to include it into game.

Hi, I've exported my "upgraded" model and in game it's meshed up. The vrticles, etc.. are the same number _0 as in _1. But I've tried morph modifier as said Frozzled and it worked on original models. I've imported original _0 and _1. Now lets come to import files. :D Original worked, but mine files... I just can't import it. I can, but when I import _0 and then _1, then _0 will explode. :D And if _1 and on it _0, then _1 will explode. And that's happening in game too. It happens immediately after import, so no morph needed to explode it. :D Any ideas? thanks. :)

EDIT:

Fixed it, but in game it will mesh up. The count of verticles is the same between _0 and _1.

EDIT:

Fixed. Just can't delete post.

Edited by Zemtriz

Thanks for the tutorial, Cherry! I have a tip, in exchange for an answer to a question!

In regards to morphing _0 to _1, I found a fairly neat way of doing it (in 2012, at least). Add both _0 and _1 to the scene, and select _0. Add the "Morph" modifier, and select _1 as the morph target. Select _1, right click and hide the object. Select _0 again, and there's a list of channels for that modifier, and the first should now be 0%. If you turn it up to 100%, it should do exactly as Skyrim does with the weight slider. Turn it back down to 0% after briefly testing that it works.

Now import the armour model. Edit the mesh so that it fits snug against the body. When done, deselect the selection mode (e.g. vertex selection of Editable Mesh) so that it doesn't interfere with the next steps. Add the "Skin Wrap" modifier, and select _0 for its target (add button, click body). At this point, it may think for a while to process things. Select _0 again, and the morph modifier, sliding it up to 100%. Now toggle back to the armour - you should find that things have changed, though it may not look right. Tweak the falloff, distance influence, and if needed check Blend to Base Mesh. Your armour should now scale appropriately with the body! Should be able to export at 0% and 100% accordingly with very little extra effort.

And now for my question - admittedly I have no desire to really modify existing armour, only to create new. How does your tutorial change if you don't have an original armour NIF? I'd like to create my own models, textures, and ideally specular maps too (no idea how the latter are handled). That said, I'm hoping the CK has stuff to handle this when it comes out.

This is excellent thank you for sharing this I will have to try it.

I used to make morph targets for facial expressions on my characters (Not skyrim related)

To make new armor you need to somehow replace an existing or create a new. Problem is if you create brand new one im not sure what the Dismember modifier would be nor the extra file to include it into game.

Hi, I've exported my "upgraded" model and in game it's meshed up. The vrticles, etc.. are the same number _0 as in _1. But I've tried morph modifier as said Frozzled and it worked on original models. I've imported original _0 and _1. Now lets come to import files. :D Original worked, but mine files... I just can't import it. I can, but when I import _0 and then _1, then _0 will explode. :D And if _1 and on it _0, then _1 will explode. And that's happening in game too. It happens immediately after import, so no morph needed to explode it. :D Any ideas? thanks. :)

EDIT:

Fixed it, but in game it will mesh up. The count of verticles is the same between _0 and _1.

EDIT:

Fixed. Just can't delete post.

What was your fix? did you miss something?

Noob question, incoming:

I'm trying to modify some armor meshes, but when I get to altering the "Smooth" option under the "Skin" category, all I have is an option called "Envelope." What on earth do I do with that?

------

Edit: I figured it out. Man, I'm a jackass, hahahahah

Edited by RobidyBobidy