Freezes or Slo-Mo in various cells

jjb54

It really depends on what mods you are using and have you tried starting a new game totally vanilla no mods? Also if you are overclocking your computer that might be an issue. If you can't get a totally vanilla game to work right and you are not overclocking then it has to be wrong settings in bios maybe you are overclocking and just don't know it or you have a hardware or software problem. Don't forget virus and spyware those things are everywhere these days. Windows 8 really sucks it could be a driver issue with it and it could also be a notorious windows update doing it too since microsoft likes to screw up everything many times a year now.

I posted the answer to your question in my OP and I quote:

This started at the very beginning ... with Concord. I thought it was a specific MOD and though it took some of the problems away ..... I decided to turn off ALL my mods - CLEAN GAME with NOTHING in the save except the DLC's.

Game still stalled - lagged - or slow mo with NO mods active or in the saved file. It was totally clean of ALL MODS as it was a brand new game.

Not sure how much clearer I could have made that???

your only hope

is to get better hardware

Okay, and what exactly would you suggest?

FO 4 gave me none of these issues, back in 2016 with the same mods, ( less their obvious updates ) and less Unofficial Patch.

All of this started in Feb. 2017, when I came back to see ' what was happening '.

Also as stated, FO 3 - NV - Skyrim - Skyrim SE - Mass Effects - Crysis - Dead Space - Bioshock (all of them ) - Paradise Ultimate and so on, do NOT experience this problem.

It is specifically related to this game and only this game.

Thus my head scratching ...... Not trying to be a P.I.T.A. Just being honest as to what I've done so far and the history.

Thanks! :smile:

.. Jj ...

since nothing works your only remaining options are

wipe your operating system and hard drive and install fresh

or

get better hardware

but even this seems to be a non-option

so you are left with seek alternate reality

I guess I fail to see your " logic " of it being hardware. Since my hardware works just fine with every other game that I have with no issues at all.

I do appreciate you taking the time to ponder this with me and I thank you ... I'm still trying to figure it out. I did find a few other game players with same or similar issues going through the same " hunt and peck " method to figure out why this started to happen ... which according to a couple of other users, after the last Beth FO 4 update .... So it seems to be there ... just not " Rocket Red Glaring ", there for people than not.

Again, thanks!

.. Jj ...

Part of the problem solved -

I discovered that the NVIDIA - GForce Experience that " OPTIMIZES " the game settings randomly is turning off the settings. This seems to be fixing the major issues, with a bit of ' stop - go ' in a few cells.

Strange that it's turning only FO 4 and Far Harbor Optimized settings randomly OFF.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas ....

.. Jj ...

If you are still having problems, try running the game without F4SE. I've become aware recently that F4SE v0.3.0 is not saving certain game settings correctly, and who knows what other subtle bugs it may be introducing.

If you are still having problems, try running the game without F4SE. I've become aware recently that F4SE v0.3.0 is not saving certain game settings correctly, and who knows what other subtle bugs it may be introducing.

I am going to give this a ' shot ', because Nvidia Optimized Settings are always being changed to Basic, even in my game. I can tell when this happens.

Again, this is only happening with FO 4 and NOT Skyrim - Skyrim SE with Maxed out Mods - and other high use games.

Thanks ... I will post the results. :)

.. Jj ...

Try with all related driver and other software turned off. I've had instance where my GPU drivers crashed and when opening Radeon Settings that one crashed too... since I had the game open and it didn't seem to mind the drivers went bye-bye Kansas, I merrily continued and hey, with better results (fps-wise) in the area I was at (can't remember where exactly I was, though).

Or at least, have a look around at what's available for your GPU/OS combination and try different driver releases. The latest drivers aren't always the better ones with this or that game...

I might have missed you mentioning this, but did you put your ini files back to default, removing any lines other mods might have required you to add?

I ask this because I have issues similar to your own whenever adding bUseCombinedObjects=0, which many mods require. I can't move in city areas and completely lock up often. Without that ini tweak, I play FO4 just fine. Like you, I also can play Skyrim fully modded without issue. Also, I stopped using GEForce Experience to make changes and instead use nvidiaProfileInspector. Don't know if that would help with your changes resetting.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there if you haven't already checked your fallout inis.

I've been watching this for some time now. There's a lot of us with different hardware setups and using different mods who have the same issue and it invariably is in the same place ingame - the area around the CIT ruins. There seems to be something about this area that screws with us and I have no idea what it is or how to fix it (if indeed, it can be fixed). Maybe it has to do with all the coding needed to deal with the area pre and post the Institute's destruction. Perhaps someone with more programming experience could have a look at it and see if anything can be devised to aid the performance in that area. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the posts.

I did try the game, had to go back to the beginning ... and turned OFF FO4SE and sure enough, that also 'cured' a number of issues ... but not all of them.

... Not sure what to do about this, as a number of my mods require SE. . o O ( sigh )

... I am going to try: bUseCombinedObjects=0. Yes it's in my INI and I bracketed it out for it to be there, but NOT read as part of the INI settings. with a Date time as to why I 'went here'.

[bUseCombinedObjects=0] ;edited 03/10/2017 @ 09:49AM. To see if this fixes stall - slo-mo issues.

... I'll see what the Nvidia program can or will do.

Again - thanks everyone! It was just really strange that all the MODS that I use, with exception of 3, I had NO issues with FO 4 prior to giving it a break ... No stalls, No Slo-Mo, NO distortions .... Just very frustrating. I should have left everything well enough alone. What is that old saying: If it an't broken, don't fix it?

To clean up your ini file, use Bilago's Configuration Tool which has the option to clean the ini file from entries made by mods that are no longer present in the load. Be aware that, when using LC's Screen Shot Assistant, Bilago's tool for some reason does away with the ini entry the mod needs so that those lines* will have to be added manually after a clean-up...

*[Menu]
bUseConsoleHotkeys=1
sConsoleINI=Data\Hotkeys.ini

Just a shot in the dark, but I had this happen to me the other day and it turned out that Steam was playing my game at 1920x1200 whereas my native resolution is 2560x1600. (Musta forgot to change the setting back after running the launcher to do the usual F04Edit "fix." Yeah, I know I shoulda noticed right away :tongue: ) Kinda weird for that effect to happen from a resolution difference, but when I changed the setting back to my native resolution it cleared up immediately.