Critique of the game and why I don't like it (anymore).

In reply to the people who say there isn't auto-aim... actually there IS, but it only works to a certain distance, after that distance you have to rely on your own abilities. Fortunately however auto-aim CAN be turned off (which I actually have done) with a quick change/addition to your Skyrim.ini.

In reply to the large block of text, while I agree with most of these complaints, I don't feel that they degrade the experience of the game. Sure, after you've run through and leveled 3 characters, and everything you can do in the world, the game might grate on certain slightly negative points... HOWEVER, this game has still offered you 5x...10x...50x the amount of playtime that most games offer you. ANY game that you play for an extended amount of time beyond that of the "norm" will reveal certain features, or lack thereof, that irritate you.

Which is exactly why games like the ones in the Elder Scrolls series rely heavily upon the developers to release patches and DLC to keep players interested and returning, and why the modding community is so important in sustaining the life of a game.

Many people will flat out, and honestly, disagree with every single point you've made. And why? Because no game in existence can cater to the wants of every single person who purchases and plays the game. So large lists like this are in the end considerably pointless.

I'm not in any way saying you or any one else is wrong for disliking certain aspects because in most cases I agree, but did want to emphasize how silly something like this seems to me.

Edited by sevvie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why don't you just play, you now, playing? it's a game, nothing else

what are you expecting? real war on the field, billions of npc's which can have a cool conversation about the civil war, or whatever,

about graphics, cities etc.. if you have a cool rig it's awesome no? i think myself that windhelm, solitude or Riften are big enough and well done^^

we can talk about combat but i feel, i'll not be objective, i play assassin and a mage which are powerfull anyway^^

the only point i aggree somehow is the fact that i need mods to have a better immersive experience on this game, i mean realistic lightning or texture overhaul, but we know that most people don't have the last top end computer to play and Bethesda need to sale......

i don't understand people like you who complain about this or this things , you don't like, fine, go play something else^^

Edited by korun

To the one who said he would mod in every complaint the OP had.

Mod in......Athletics and Acrobatics. And then provide perks for them which should have been included in the main game. Sorry folks, no more quick/agile characters. Now even the sneakiest rogue is just as fast and can jump just as high as an unarmored mage who spends his life studying.

Edited by BucMan55

Everyone is always talking about how Skyrim apparently has crappy graphics. I must be playing the wrong game - I personally like the graphics in Skyrim. To me, they look good - a grand step above what Oblivion was, in my opinion. Then again all these kids today are playing their PS3's and junk thinking real life doesn't look realistic enough anymore. It's a videogame - just play it. Graphics don't make the game. Period.

As far as gameplay goes, I find it much more entertaining than vanilla Oblivion was. I'm not going to be as critical was you were about it because I played the game to enjoy it, not pull out each string to see which ends were frayed, so to speak. I think a lot of people have forgotten how to actually play games for enjoyment recently. They see one person say something they don't like about it, then another, and let those opinions become their own. :confused: I've personally learned to take any review I read with a grain of salt - they are allowed their opinions, but I won't let those influence my own. Therefore, I love Skyrim. Sure, it's not perfect. Neither was Oblivion and neither was Morrowind. Still, I love them all. To PIECES. (Literally. My Oblivion disc no longer has a case.)

If you don't like it, don't force yourself to play it. ;)

(I think a big helper in people being all "Lol Skyrim sucks Oblivion was better lol" was that most people who play Oblivion have never played it vanilla. By the time most of these people got it the best mods were out and they didn't even make their first Imperial without texture and gameplay overhauls. *sigh* Play is vanilla, then play Skyrim vanilla and see just how far ahead they've come. Don't like it? Throw in some mods now or wait for the CK and the best mods to already be out like everyone did for Oblivion. This doesn't exactly pertain to the OP, I'm just ranting with this part...)

EDIT: As far as the athletics/acrobatics skills go...I found them useless and annoying in both Oblivion AND Morrowind, especially the fact that, if you didn't run everywhere and rode a horse/silt strider, you'd be forever slow. At least in Skyrim you can sprint and run at a decent speed from the get go. I swear, in Morrowind every character would start out as some slow-as-hell, out of shape derp unless they specialized in only speed and had the steed as their birth-sign. *gargles*

Edited by luxwing0go

You're THE 747823?

Now i understand cuz i was reading the graphics part and i thought "Either this guy knows a lot or he just like to trow up words so he looks that he knows something" Then i looked at his name lol

This guy is one of the author's of Realistic Lighting without Post Processing mod, along with Pluto (editing imagespaces with an hex editor for example). This is why you stopped modding Skyrim altogether i guess?

I agree, Skyrim's tech is sht. The only thing that i do not agree with was the Athleticism and Acrobatics part. For everything else, you have one kudo from me sir.

You're on my hall of fame along with Arisu, Alexande Blade and Headbomb with that post.

Never really cared for athletics, but acrobatics could have been implemented in this game and taken further than oblivion easily.

Some perks...

-Jump Higher-

-Attack while jumping-

-High Jump while sprinting-

-Tap sprint key to avoid an incoming attack (Must be timed correctly)-

-Perfect Timing (Slows time to allow for easier dodging) <- I know that one is in block.

-Barrel Roll- Upgrades to flips as you progress the skill

-Kick (An extra attack, does same damage as unarmed attacks)-

-Jump Kick (Deals damage to your opponent and knocks them down. If you miss, you fall and receive damage)-

-Climb (Allows you to climb on mountains, houses, towers, etc.)-

-Jump off the Surface of water (lol Oblivion)-

-Reduced Fall damage (You know how bend your body to absorb impact)- <- I know heavy armor has this one

-Able to run up/jump off walls-

Stylish Death Scenes-

Hmm... Is that enough to fill a skill tree? That's just off the top of my head. -_-

This and all the game breaking bugs currently present bother me. I still enjoy the game though.

Edit: Now that I think about it. Its SKYRIM! You're more likely to suffer fall damage or need to reach higher ground in this game than any of the previous releases, so why remove it?

Edited by Rinobi

what are you expecting? real war on the field, billions of npc's which can have a cool conversation about the civil war, or whatever,

about graphics, cities etc.. if you have a cool rig it's awesome no? i think myself that windhelm, solitude or Riften are big enough and well done^^

we can talk about combat but i feel, i'll not be objective, i play assassin and a mage which are powerfull anyway^^

the only point i aggree somehow is the fact that i need mods to have a better immersive experience on this game, i mean realistic lightning or texture overhaul, but we know that most people don't have the last top end computer to play and Bethesda need to sale......

i don't understand people like you who complain about this or this things , you don't like, fine, go play something else^^

I also largely agree with OP's points. I think a large measure of peoples disappointment with Skyrim is that it came after New Vegas and The Witcher 2 which showed what could be done regarding immersion and role-play. Now if Skyrim was just meant to be a tech demo... fine but the engine still isn't great. The combat is pretty terrible (compare to mount and blade). Still I enjoyed playing it and it was worth the money.

1. Graphics don't make a game. If that's your main concern go take your overpriced computer somewhere else and let us enjoy our "poor" skyrim graphics.

2. In terms of combat, I agree some things could have been done better, but here there will ALWAYS be room for improvement. I don't know how you have "auto-aim" while shooting a bow, I personally have NOT experienced anything like this, on the contrary, I'll shoot at a moving target and it'll veer out of the way quickly sometimes. Long distance shots take some care to aim properly and as for short distance I've had quite a few arrows miss the mark (as in flying between the arm and torso of the person for example).

I don't know what you're playing but my experience on master difficulty gives me varying degrees of difficulty in combat. Ancient dragons still destroy the hell out of me despite all my efforts to reduce magic and/or elemental damage. At level 60 and with full smith/enchant/armor perks I still sometimes get destroyed by some enemies (ex: Forsworn Ravager, Briarheart, some Falmers, Draugr Deathlord rangers with their ebony bows and arrows and shouts, etc.).

In terms of weapons I agree with what you said with a few exceptions. Daedric artifacts are indeed extremely weak and I have no idea why. For some reason they don't benefit from the daedric smithing perk (or any other smithing perk) and thus become weak when you're a higher level. On the other hand, there are SOME unique items that are top of the line (so to speak). For example: Chillrend and Dragonbane after level 46+. The former is arguably the best sword in the game, has a nice double enchant and the damage of a daedric waraxe at the speed of a sword. The latter is as powerful as a daedric sword but has the nice +40 damage against dragons. Also Spellbreaker is a unique artifact with nice properties and so on.

As far as the skill trees and perks go, I really don't agree with the way things used to be. I think having an agility skill and having weapons break down is annoying and adds nothing to the game. Same with having blade and blunt in different skill trees.

The fast travel option is there for your convenience, there's no point in having to retrace your steps manually to your favorite city every time. Also it allows you to stop in the middle of a dungeon, sell your loot and then come back, which is something I like. OR if you've done a dungeon and later in the game need to go through it again for a quest you can just quickly fast travel there instead of following the same route you did the first time. The game doesn't need to FORCE you to explore, it's supposed to give you the option to choose your own style of playing.

Same goes with the new style of perks and skills and not having primary and secondary skills, etc.

I'm extremely disappointed with the NPC's and nearly every badass in the game has the same voice. Every old guy has Arngeir's voice. Every old badass guy has Olfrid Battle-Born's voice. There are so many grammatical and acting errors, I could just go up there and slap Bethesda in the face. In Rorikstead, go to the inkeeper, and one of the options is "Your crops seem to be thriving" WITH NO FULL STOP. In Riften, some elf says "I go down to the Riften fishery every Friday blah blah" IT'S FREDAS YOU LONG EARED GREY SKIN! With the first imperial quest, Legate Rikke asks you to clear out Fort Hraggstad. "We're going to install a garrison there, and your going to clear it out." YOU'RE*. There was another subtitle mistake, with it writing their instead of there. Where did they hire this guy from?

>I just killed Alduin

>No one cares

>I'm the leader of the Thieve Guild, and a Nightingale

>No one cares

>I'm the Archmage of the College of Winterhold

>No one cares

>I killed the Emperor

>No one cares

>I'M DRAGONBORN

>NO ONE CARES

But still I bloody love the game and am addicted.

Edited by Gentlebeard

This type of attitude is what can hold games as an entertainment form back. Don't set the bar so low, games can be an incredibly deep form of entertainment. By saying "it's JUST a game" enables developers to put less effort into future titles by falling back on that weak excuse.

I love Skyrim, but i agree with all the OP's points. After the 20 hour mark, these points become a lot clearer. Many people hop on this forum and defend Skyrim, but you'll find they are 15 hours in and still questing in Whiterun, having hardly seen the generic-ness of the greater part of this game. Modders are a blessing to this game, i'll say that much!