CK Update

gengrimm

I hope the scripts for XP gain and item value are editable. .

Why do you assume they're controlled by Papyrus? A lot of core features, like skill gain and the pricing of generated items (not to mention that generation itself) are handled directly by the engine. Sometimes we can tweak these features, but if you want to re-write them completely you'll need a pretty big workaround.

That said, if a feature is controlled by Papyrus then it would be very easy to make large changes to it.

Cipscis

I assumed nothing, hence the "I hope" in the beginning of the sentence. And not a complete rewrite, just want skill gains to make sense, especially in Alchemy, where a potion with a nasty side effect is considered more worth than one without, rendering the "purity" perk useless.

Edited by GisleAune

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. And if a modder rage quits, God help whoever downloaded his mod on steam works.

Does this actually happen? I remember someone else mentioning this and it seems very extreme to me.. If the modder is prone to do something like that, than it's probably not something I would download.

Someone else mentioned a few days ago basically what if the modder gets angry and intentionally breaks someone's game knowing that it'll auto-update. It's a pretty far fetched what-if and I honestly cannot see that happening.

:psyduck: Does it happen now? Because it still can happen.

Ah sorry, i thought you meant it as in that the mod will probably be incompatible after a game update or something and would break the game eventually if a modder "rage quits" without telling anything and leaving the mod as it is.

Anyway, in that case, is better to expect that ppl are not jerks and thats it i think. Cuz if you expect them to be jerks, then all sort of stuff could go wrong. What if someones uploads a mod that erases all houses? What if someone uploads a mod that breaks all scripts? And so on.

Taking preventive measures against jerks is good, declaring preventive war against jerks isnt.

Probably the auto update thingy can be switched off. Basic functionality i say.

Ah sorry, i thought you meant it as in that the mod will probably be incompatible after a game update or something and would break the game eventually if a modder "rage quits" without telling anything and leaving the mod as it is.

Anyway, in that case, is better to expect that ppl are not jerks and thats it i think. Cuz if you expect them to be jerks, then all sort of stuff could go wrong. What if someones uploads a mod that erases all houses? What if someone uploads a mod that breaks all scripts? And so on.

Taking preventive measures against jerks is good, declaring preventive war against jerks isnt.

Probably the auto update thingy can be switched off. Basic functionality i say.

The issue with Steam requiring lots of unnecessary hoops to jump through to get it where it won't automatically update your game has a lot of folks concerned about more hoop jumping with the CK. Mainly it's a confidence thing, and Steam does not foster much.

Edited by BucMan55

Apparently, people aren't reading the entire thread thoroughly, or actually listening to the narrative. Your mods don't automatically update to Steam, you have to elect to do that.... as well, I know I speak for many when I say that I have absolutely no intention of using any mods through the Steam Workshop. I plan to use NMM/Wrye for everything I download, and will be going exclusively through the Nexus and *********. Don't want Steam, don't need Steam, as far as my modding goes. Anyone is entitled to feel how they want on this, but I still don't agree with them complicating Skyrim's dependencies with Steam.

Still just seems like a bid to steal peoples' work and make more money from what's otherwise FreeWare. They're just trying to cash in on the modders' creativity, plain and simple. I would be ecstatic if no one uploads any mods to Steam, and keeps them exclusive to the Nexus, *******, and PES, though I could really care less about PES, to be perfectly honest.

Just my thoughts.

[Edit]: I could see people submitting to Steam if they're particularly trying to market a REALLY expansive and clean mod or content for sale to console owners, as that wouldn't be too far-fetched, and might even win someone a job, down the road. That would be pretty much the only exception of note I could see. I would only do that if I was specifically trying to market myself to Bethesda/Bioware, and really needed the money. My two cents, revised.

As a modder... I actually like what I've seen/read of the integration into steam so far. I've talked to dozens of acquaintances that never even knew that Oblivion supported mods, let alone Skyrim. It should really help boost exposure. On the flipside, and I have no knowledge if this is possible or not, I would hope that autoupgrading mods is a feature that can be disabled. There are a few mods out there, which shall remain nameless, that started out great and went in ENTIRELY different directions in later revisions that just didn't mesh with my wants. From that perspective, I hope versioning is supported. But if not, that will at least seal my choice on where I will DL my mods from. I will likely choose, however, to UL mods to both the Nexus and Steam.

-MM

[...]

Still just seems like a bid to steal peoples' work and make more money from what's otherwise FreeWare. They're just trying to cash in on the modders' creativity, plain and simple. I would be ecstatic if no one uploads any mods to Steam, and keeps them exclusive to the Nexus, ************, and PES, though I could really care less about PES, to be perfectly honest.

[...]

While you correct someone elses gloomy statement, you make one yourself without waiting for Bethesda to release their own EULA for Steam Workshop, the one you have probably read is specific to TF2 and other VALVe titles.

I find it selfish and elitistic to hope that everyone swears to use the Nexus exclusively for publishing content. The Steam thing may feel safe and intuitive for those who just want to get a mod and have a one-step installation. I would upload to both services if I ever get as far as releasing something, so both the Steam/Workshop hater/distruster and the newbie can check out the mod.

Edited by LHammonds