Skyrim Workshop on steam VS nexus?

mclericp

I prefer the Nexus and installing stuff manually. It's worked fine for me up 'til now, so I see no reason to do it any other way. I'm generally so lazy that I prefer not having to learn anything new, if I can possibly avoid it...

I have a hard time seeing the point of Steam workshop integration. Like others have pointed out, it's supposed to be simpler for people who are new to fooling around with mods, but will it really be with conflicts and other issues? The last thing anyone wants to see is the forum or the mod threads spammed by people who can't get their Steam mods to work, coming here for support since the mods also are hosted on the Nexus.

Having said that, I will keep any opinions I may have regarding where a particular mod is being made available to myself. If a mod I want is only hosted at Steamworks, I'll get it from there and be grateful for it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ginnyfizz: This community is what kipped me interested in modding, the reason i want to learn how to mod and give something back.

I dont thing that Steamworkshop will be able to cope with mods like deadly reflex, unnecessary violence or problems like skeletons to infinity and such.

I only tolerate steam because I really like skyrim and new vegas but I avoid it if I can, I wont be using steamworks as it´s really scary, you click subscribe and steam loads up a bunch of who knows what into the game.I prefer knowing what´s going into my game.I will stick to the nexus, I see no point for steam workshop and it´s really offensive making such thing when we have a really good community here.I wonder why didn´t bethesda team up with nexus instead but anyway...

When the Nexus Mod Manager reaches the point when it has an offline mode it will be an all together better offer than the Workshop for me, for now i have to be online for both.

NMM already works in offline mode, you just need to make sure you login once (and tell NMM to remember your login). Try it yourself.

1. Enter your login details
  2. Click the "remember me" setting
  3. Start NMM as usual
  4. Close NMM
  5. Turn off your internet by disabling your network connection, pulling the cable out, or however else you want to do it
  6. Start NMM
  7. Notice it works

You will get an error from the NMM updater when you start, but you can turn this off in your preferences.

Congratulations, your NMM works offline! :D

After some sleep, I thought of something I don't recall seeing mentioned much in regards to one more small-yet-major issue the Workshop will have related to mods and their installation/operation: SKSE. We all know how anxiously folks can wait for an update to SKSE every time the game itself is updated so that we don't need to go without some mods over and over again. I have a difficult time seeing Steam riding on the SKSE folks to have an update done which gets auto-fired out when they send each Skyrim patch live, and definitely have a hard time seeing Bethesda releasing each and every patch early to them so that they can prepare/release a new version that gets auto-patched alongside the live patch itself.

Can you imagine the confusion and grumbling that would arise should folks get SKSE-required mods via the Workshop, that they cannot figure out why nothing works after every single game patch?

im guessing theres a lot of people like myself who are creatures of habit and will not bother with steam workshop not out of some hate of steam or distrust but out of pure laziness lol and of course the whole its what everyone is used to using. id guess that nexus may get fewer new members as workshop will be advertised a lot better and people new to modding will see it first and see it has bethesda written on it so not look any further but those who stay on workshop will probabaly only be part time modding with only a few mods installed and those who get more involved and want a hundred mods would learn about conflicts very fast and resort to a community like here with helpful mod authors and modders always willing to give some advice. i for one have no doubts about the nexus suffering badly from this, yrs of excellence has no doubt built up a loyalty amongst modders here

NMM already works in offline mode
Huh, i never updated form the .13 version lol Downloading .14...
*]Turn off your internet by disabling your network connection, pulling the cable out, or however else you want to do it
Im trying to decide between smashing the router with a hammer... or "ifdown ing" the interface from my netbook :P
Congratulations, your NMM works offline! :D
Yay! You're right. d(^_^)b Thnks for the heads up :)

Not that I would ever leave nexus anyway, but will steam workshop even allow our 'adult mods'? Somehow I don't see steam hosting CBBE, sexy armors, breat and butt physics, ect :)

I own skyrim retail (xmas present) but run it standalone, there are directions around the net. Only games I run under steam are valve's games.

Edited by Malakai88

I gave Steam Workshop a try and its ok for things like texture replacers and simple mods but its not as good as Nexus and other sites because I like to see what I'm installing and have a proper look through the author's readme. Plus if you don't like a mod you've got from Steam you have to unsubscribe to it or you end up with automatic updated version the next time you start your game.

I can see the Steam Workshop causing a lot of problems if they ever allow authors to upload large scale overhauls.