Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

Yep, "regular" = "Generate Visibility"

When I remade precombineds/previs for The Mechanist's Lair I just used "Generate Precombined Visibility", and didn't have any issues. It was only for Vault 88 that I needed to use "generate Visibility" before I used "Generate Precombined Visibility".

Not sure on the crash, does it do it consistently for a certain location, but not for others? Are you doing anything else while it is working on it in the background?

Cool, thanks. That's what I assumed but wasn't sure. I've done several exteriors recently without using Generate Visibility following Trosski's tutorial and everything has worked fine thus far.

As for the crash while generating precombines, it is in one specific location of a very early mod I did rebuilding Tenpines Bluff for my own game. More of a learning exercise than a mod, really.

The short of it is now that I pretty much know the correct ways to handle precombines and previs, I want to archive the mod to use in my new playthrough with an install on another drive. Been trying to do the precombines but is always crashes when doing the Tenpines Bluff cell. I think I may have narrowed down the building that is causing the problem and just have to do through delegating references inside of it and narrowing it down. It was an early effort and since it was for personal use I used a lot of assets from other mods. I have a suspicion one of those meshes is causing the problems. Just have to hunt it/them down and eradicate.

UPDATE: Got the crashing issue sorted. Deleted several of the static references in one of the buildings that I thought might be causing it and was able to run the precombines and vis. Not sure what might have caused the crashes, but the was obviously a very unhappy NIF that didn't want to be assimilated. Very happy to have got it working so I can use that settlement in my new game.

UPDATE: Got the crashing issue sorted. Deleted several of the static references in one of the buildings that I thought might be causing it and was able to run the precombines and vis. Not sure what might have caused the crashes, but the was obviously a very unhappy NIF that didn't want to be assimilated. Very happy to have got it working so I can use that settlement in my new game.

If you narrowed it down you might want to pass along that info to the mod author so they can look at the nif and see if it can be fixed. If it's causing crashing in that sense, the nif may be causing random CTDs in game for end users and be impossible to track down otherwise.

If you narrowed it down you might want to pass along that info to the mod author so they can look at the nif and see if it can be fixed. If it's causing crashing in that sense, the nif may be causing random CTDs in game for end users and be impossible to track down otherwise.

That's a good idea. I didn't narrow it down to a specific mesh, as I was deleting in small batches until it stopped crashing. But it won't be too hard to figure out the problem child from the last batch to get deleted. I would want to know about it if it were my mod, so thanks for the suggestion. Wish I had thought of it on my own...

I do both, regular and precombined, i think there is 2 options for a reason. Performance is definitely nice with both.

So i think the game sometimes tells a white lie when you check an area with tpc command to see if precalc is off.

I was in Jamaica Plains recently and I noticed a fps drop to 45ish, in the direction of one of beantowns houses, where i haven't patched yet. I checked with command and it said it was on. I walked slightly closer to the house in question and checked again and it was off. Despite the house cell being loaded. So this obviously concretes the fact that its looked at for 3x3 cells, but it also confirms that it loads the previs fike for surrounding cells always, in case there was any doubt.

Edited-damned phone post half way thru typing

I think every time the PC moves around the area, the engine has to recalculate, and it briefly turns precalc back on, because it forgets that it was supposed to be disabled. Like an alzheimer patient driving a car to the store, and never pulling out of the driveway.

I'll check the cell coordinates on those cells and make sure this is correct. It does make sense though.

HOLY F**K!! Turning off pre-combined meshes in the Fallout4.ini actually improved my performance in interiors and exteriors!! Can't believe I never tried this before! Also solves issues with mod conflicts related to pre-combines! Why did no one mention this!!?? Do you realize what this means if it works for other people?!! OK. So the story is that I am rebuilding my game from the ground up(with mods) and I was adding all these optimized textures for everything.....but I wasn't noticing any improvement in performance. Tried tweaking settings and a few to the ini, but what finally gave me a 20% increase in framerate was adding the line bUseCombinedObjects=0. Can someone explain why this might happen?

HOLY F**K!! Turning off pre-combined meshes in the Fallout4.ini actually improved my performance in interiors and exteriors!! Can't believe I never tried this before! Also solves issues with mod conflicts related to pre-combines! Why did no one mention this!!?? Do you realize what this means if it works for other people?!! OK. So the story is that I am rebuilding my game from the ground up(with mods) and I was adding all these optimized textures for everything.....but I wasn't noticing any improvement in performance. Tried tweaking settings and a few to the ini, but what finally gave me a 20% increase in framerate was adding the line bUseCombinedObjects=0. Can someone explain why this might happen?

You are kidding about the performance part right?

If not my only guess is the area you tested that is not loading the precombineds as well so it lifted slightly there. Your PC will be smouldering ashes in Boston however.

HOLY F**K!! Turning off pre-combined meshes in the Fallout4.ini actually improved my performance in interiors and exteriors!! Can't believe I never tried this before! Also solves issues with mod conflicts related to pre-combines! Why did no one mention this!!?? Do you realize what this means if it works for other people?!! OK. So the story is that I am rebuilding my game from the ground up(with mods) and I was adding all these optimized textures for everything.....but I wasn't noticing any improvement in performance. Tried tweaking settings and a few to the ini, but what finally gave me a 20% increase in framerate was adding the line bUseCombinedObjects=0. Can someone explain why this might happen?

Its quite impossible, that deactivating combined objects will increase fps, as the system has to work much more. Deactivating it gives me a hit of ~30-40 fps in boston.