Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

RedRocketTV you should also do a video showing how to use the xEdit Pre-Combined cleaning scripts but other then that your video was very informative and well done. If you don't mind I would like to post a link of this on my Detecting Broken Pre-Combined meshes thread on Beth.net.

The Console players just need to see the process. (In my opinion that is.)

Thanks, chucksteel! Yes, by all means feel free to spread the link around any place you see fit. Rest room walls included. :laugh:

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you and I figured you didn't mind so I went ahead and pointed out some relevant things about material swaps that were shown in the video in my thread. My thread is geared to console players and the only way they can detect this is to actually see the effects.

I considered editing those bits out but I thought it was better to include that stuff for completeness.

Actually I think it's good to show that process too because it suggests using archives to the user, which might make more modders adopt archives. It's pretty relevant for precombine data, lots of small files that cause lots of I/O load. And it makes things easier to manage and less likely to cause weird file-related issues for the user.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad I left it in. In retrospect maybe I should have mentioned using the archiver in the CK for mods that don't already have archives but I never though of it until today.

If I were to teach someone how to make archives, I'd skip the CK entirely because it's neither necessary nor does it make the process simpler - on the contrary. I actually make all my archives using only Windows Explorer and Archive2 and it's never once caused me any issues. If anything, exposing yourself to the folder structure instead of letting the CK do its magic will teach you how things interlock a little better.

Some of the best advice one could give, from payload right there. CK packer requires extra care, not worth the hassle most of the time.

Always like to learn new ways to pack archives. I tend to use the CK, but RedRocketTV's video has made me reconsider Archive2. I had been unpacking the archives with Archive2, and then repacking them with the CK. I wasn't aware that Archive2 was capable of adding files, and not just overwriting the archive with just the new files. That is what I hate about the archiver in the CK. It's not capable of adding files to an archive, only packing loose files into a new archive... overwriting any existing archives. I found that out the hard way... a few times.

Well CK is fine (when it works) but one needs to check if it's adding files it shouldn't be, such as the world map dds file and F4se scripts etc. Occasionally other things too which may not be relevant to your mod (the 2 I mentioned are most common). Whereas Archive2 gives you complete control.

Edit: fun fact: You can unload the render window by selecting Create Archive, and then cancelling out. Only way I know to reliably unload that window.

FWIW, I tend to prefer letting the CK pack archives for when I’m getting ready to publish a mod. I end up having dozens of custom asset files and trust the CK (never thought I’d be saying THAT) more than myself to make sure everything gets collected properly.

But before launching the CK to do that, I temporarily rename the folders with any loose assets I don’t want included with the goal of having only folders with my assets being loaded. Then I triple check the file list in the archiving tool to make sure I didn’t miss renaming anything. Since I use my own prefix and file path with all my stuff, anything else stands out like a sore thumb and can be pruned if it doesn't belong. Afterwards, I'll go back and rename the files I've changed back to their original.

After the mod is published, if I add new assets for an update I’ll unpack/repack the archives with Archive2 to add them. That can be done in a fraction of the time it would take just to load the mod in the CK to do it that way.

Archiving Protip:

Keep separate Data folders for each mod you're working on and keep those folders all on the same disk. They do not need to contain the vanilla archives. As long as your Data folders are on the same disk, moving the vanilla archives and ESMs around between Data folders doesn't necessitate an actual data transfer (internally, the file system just changes some inode data pointers). This way you can just drag&drop all loose file folders from your Data folder into Archive2 without thinking too long about it. Just takes some discipline but saves you thought and effort when developing. Also gives you less room to make mistakes. Updating BA2s is a breeze this way.

It does force you to delete extracted vanilla assets that may linger around but I tend to keep my folders somewhat tidy anyway - stuff I don't need anymore in dev gets deleted right away or backed up to NAS.

Edited by payl0ad