missing xlive.dll file preventing fallout3.exe from running

I recently removed all of the xlive files in order to get my csgo to work and now after installing fose and attempting to play fo3 for the first time on this computer, I get an error that says i cannot run it without the file. I tried installing the windows live files without signing in and now when I run fose_loader nothing happens. When I run the fallout launcher I get load error 5:0000065434. What can I do to fix this?

Found this on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/xlivedll-missing/79d13a43-5c22-4455-8770-67608df6aa15

Hi,

Which game are you trying to run on the computer?
Xlive.dll actually comes in the 'Games for Live' package installer. Let’s download Xlive.dll from the following link and check if that helps.
a) Download the package
b) Right click the package and choose 'Run as Administrator'
c) Install the application and restart the computer.
d) Try and run the game and check if the issue persists.

So basicly just download and install GFWL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128962

EDIT:

You could also just download the DLL from this site.

http://www.indir.eu/indir/xlive-dll.150/

Drop her in

C:/Windows/System32

Edited by zax141

You probably want to use this mod.

Games for Windows Live Disabler:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086/?

Also, if you're missing files from your Fallout 3 installation and you got your game from Steam and not from the discs or something then you should validate the integrity of your game files. That should bring back missing files.

Verify Integrity of Game Files:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Edited by DaddyDirection

Also, if you're missing files from your Fallout 3 installation and you got your game from Steam and not from the discs or something then you should validate the integrity of your game files. That should bring back missing files.

Verify Integrity of Game Files:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Yeah, but the DLL is part of microsoft program so its not installed via steam.

Its installed by games for windows live.

And I forgot that mod existed, that should work.

EDIT:

You could also just download the DLL from this site.

Just... No! Do not ever download .DLL files from some random website!

That's like downloading some random .exe file, running it, then being surprised it contains a virus.

A .dll file is similar, except you cannot "run" it like you can .exe file. Other programs can though. In fact multiple programs can run a .dll file. And yes, .dll files can and do contain viruses or other malicious junk.

Got a missing .dll error? Fix it by installing / reinstalling the program that the .dll comes with.

The problem with the Windows Live disabler mod is that you first have to run the game before you can use it. Thus, if you cannot run the game as it tells you you're missing some part of the dll.file, you also cannot run the mod. Damn. And as Zax141 has already stated, the game isn't installed via Steam, so there's no option to check the integrity of the game files.

Let's see if I can get it running somehow. I've downloaded the Windows Live client, so let's just see if this still works. Somehow this feels pretty stupid, but is seems to be the only way to solve this issue. The client asks me to either log in or create a new account; I've got no Windows Live account, so the only option still left is to create one. But, as far as I know, Windows Live doesn't exist anymore...

Alright, as I thought, stupid idea. Here's what the page has told me:

Ooops! What happened to this page? We’ve moved some things around.

The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available. You might want to:

This is a big Ooops. I've a legal copy of "Fallout 3" and of "Fallout 3: GOTYE", I want to install the latter with all the DLCs, and this is what I'm finally running into: a stupid, f***ing Ooops. Trying to contact Microsoft support does only get me to Microsoft New Virtual Support Agent, which isn't really a help.

The page that provides the dll is in Turkish, at least I think it's Turkish. BlackRampage is certainly right about downloading and trusting random stuff from the internet, especially when the source is in a language you don't understand...

Edited by Banzai Babe

I've found a solution that works for me. While I ran into the missing dll components when trying to run the game with the GOTYE dvd, I could start the game with the ordinary Fallout 3 dvd. Don't ask me why or how as the other copy is also for Windows Live, but somehow it worked. I could start the game, saved and ran the disabler mod. It's working now, but it's a shame that I've to use two different legal copies of the selfsame game to get it running. That's probably no help for the original poster, though.

Shame on you, Bethesda.

Shame on you, Microsoft.

This is totally inacceptable, at least from my simple point of view. Having bought a product, I want this product to function properly. You don't buy two cars just to get one of them running.

So is this not still working ? Looks to be ...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5549

But of course it wants to install the Market place , which is just another addon to the component you need.

And it can easily be uninstalled after.

Sorry that is just how it is for Fallout 3 to actually run. You have to have the updated GFWL client ... which yes you just need the .dll ,,,, and there are many nefarious places that offer it ... which you should not get it from anyone but Microsoft out of the "gfwlivesetup.exe" which you down load from that link I posted.

So right after a fresh install of Fallout 3 (which I would strongly recommend installing outside of program files straight off of C:/ or C:/Games) Which will install an old version of GFWL which would only work if you had windows XP ... if I remember correctly ?

You then install "gfwlivesetup.exe"

And from there the multi core fix , which I think is not possible until the launcher is able to create the .ini file found with the save location. And you should not be keeping these files from an old install ... at very least just move them and delete the "Fallout3" folder found in "MyGames" to have it recreated from the FalloutLauncher.exe ... which I'm guessing won't work until the updated version of GFWL is installed.

And then so on for other fixes based on what/why the game is having issues running correctly.

Edited by Mktavish

Why is there a chase your tail thing going on here over something too simple to fix?

The game engine is asking for just 1 single file, and windows 10 requires just one other file over windows 7 products.

These files are found i a program offered here on the nexus web site / NV side, search for "Forked" and download the version ending in 1.9 or browse my signature.

quit beating a dead horse.

seriously, this is stupid. (Fomm) Forked package has 3 files needed for fallout 3 to operate on win 10 period. you don't need anything else.

extract or install that program, go to it's directory and find those files *.dll and the esp and copy them to the root of the games folder.

xlive_Fix.jpg

That's on A really crapy Laptop PC, it really hurts but plays smooth as silk. It's all the extra junk we add on that makes things bad.

On delivery thru steam, Fallout 3 plays with no problems to date, How ever, the "retail game" cd type has these issues.

Done, run the game and have fun.

really !

Kitty Black

Edited by Purr4me