Bethesda HD pack override

ChurchofXenu

This works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

By the way what I noticed is, that the lag I had when running the HD pack with ESPs almost disappeared.

There is still some lag, but it's much less. Is it possible, that the ESP actually lowers performance of the game somehow? Maybe it is loading to GPU memory rubbish that is not necessary somehow?

I thought my GTX275 with 896 MB of RAM is a junk. Well it is, but it still runs well. :)

Hey now, I have a 275 too. Don't call our cards junk, haha.

Mine actually runs Skyrim great. Latest drivers and many texture mods, on the stairs in Whiterun I get around 43 FPS.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

By the way what I noticed is, that the lag I had when running the HD pack with ESPs almost disappeared.

There is still some lag, but it's much less. Is it possible, that the ESP actually lowers performance of the game somehow? Maybe it is loading to GPU memory rubbish that is not necessary somehow?

I thought my GTX275 with 896 MB of RAM is a junk. Well it is, but it still runs well. :)

Hey now, I have a 275 too. Don't call our cards junk, haha.

Mine actually runs Skyrim great. Latest drivers and many texture mods, on the stairs in Whiterun I get around 43 FPS.

Stairs in Whiterun level all graphics cards equal. You could replace your card with a 580gtx and it would make little difference difference there. It is massively CPU bottlenecked unless you are using very very low settings :) My graphics card is barely trying when in whiterun on Ultra settings. It has nothing to do.

Blow by blow.

How to use the new Official Hi-Res texture pack with user created mods:

1. Disable or delete the esps that came with the official texture pack.

2. Backup then open

SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini

&

Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini

3. Change this in both files:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

To this:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

4. Save both files.

Now user created mods will be able to override what they need to override in the official texture pack.

Finaly, doesn't work perfectly for me ! :/

after playing a few hours, I encountered many bugs :

I can't take some items, like barenziah stone, weapons on floor !

I can't start a new game !!

Followers still follow me even if I tell them to wait.

The game crash randomly when I quicksave or when I open a door.

I tested without "HighRes****** .bsa" in the ini files and everything is back to normal !

I really don't get how this is difficult for some. Something else must be wrong no offense.

Anyways,

To test this out, I checked to see that none of my main User Mods are being over-ridden. Great example is Vurt's Flora, since the Bethesda HD Pack upgraded Tree Bark textures, before doing this .ini tweak, I did not see Vurt's Textures but the Bethesda HD Pack's. After doing this mod, that changed back to Vurts textures.

Then to make sure that the Bethesda HD Pack was indeed working, I simply forged a new Iron Shield and compared it to this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/I3HsR.jpg

If the shield looks like the bottom half, the HD Pack is indeed working. And in conclusion, all User mods are Priority 1 and then Bethesda's HD Pack is Priority 2 and Vanilla is Priority 3 (and the base).

If you don't hear sounds and voices, it's because you somehow deleted another line.

About your last post (the crashes, do not looks like caused by the pack or the changes in the ini, but something is telling me your installation is a bit messed by now. The Symptoms of these crashes points to utilities not updated. Among those which can cause the problem are those related to Menus, UI, containers in general (which includes inventories, from the player to vendors). All them are updated by now... if you use any of these mods you may want to get their last versions. Actually should do it for all mods you have installed. This moment in the game history is being much troubled, the CK delay forced many mods being released as plugins directly accessing the engine, which is not the best approach and turns both, patches and mods vulnerable to changes.

Well I got crashing and other weird bugs stop (missing textures and some strange hair bugs. I dont even have any hair mods) when i reverted ini files. I try reinstalling game to see if I can then use DLC pack same time as texture mods with this ini tweak.

This might not exactly be the right thread for this issue, but I couldn't find another thread describing something like what I am having.

It seems that the texture pack makes the saves of one of my two characters unloadable. Whenever I try to load one, the game doesn't progress past the loading screen. That character is at level 38, so relatively far into the game, but since my level 47 main character saves work perfectly, I doubt that any data stored in the save progression is at fault. It happens whenever the texture pack esp's are activated or the bsa's are added to the archive as suggested by your method (which did solve the mod conflict problem for me).

I would appreciate any advice here, I'm kind of at a loss of what I could do :(