Steam Workshop(implementation) Broken?

phantomgamerz

I'm going to get right into it, Steam Workshop for Skyrim is more or less broken right now.

Skyrim (and pretty much every Bethesda game) judges it's mod load order via the date of the esp/esm file.

We reorder mods in order to ensure compatibility by changing the mod file's date.

When you do this Steam Workshop detects the file was modified and downloads the latest version over your changed-date file, thus adding it to the end of the load order.

Unless you bypass the launcher completely by using SKSE you will most likely (if not now, in the future) run into load order problems.

I hope Steam/Bethesda fixes this. Would be nice if they maybe compared MD5s instead of If File is older than latest.

If anyone would post this on BethSoft forum too that would be great, bring it to the attention of Bethesda.

(Sorry if this has been brought to attention before, I just noticed this myself and saw no other thread on the topic.)

Edited by phantomgamerz

Since mod load order is important (and Bethesda knows this), I would honestly have expected more from a company so very supportive of their games' modding communities than the dead-simple "Data Files" interface we have. Like, the ability to specify load order, right there in the game's launcher, so that we can give our favorite mods their best chances of not being blown away by another mod that just happens to have been released more recently.

Frankly, I think the failing is Bethesda's here, for not providing anything even remotely robust in terms of mod loading; that said, Valve certainly could have used something more robust than "date modified" for determining if a mod is out of date and needs to be re-downloaded.

EDIT: Anyone tried using the SkyrimCustom.ini file (or whatever it's called, I'm at work so for obvious reasons don't have Skyrim installed here) to specify load order? Meaning, does the order of plugins in that file determine the order they're loaded? If so, then folks working on third-party load order tools could leverage this instead of tweaking file modification dates.

Edited by kromey

Indeed, and I can assure to you I'm all but secure how this "integration" will work in the end... it already began breaking a lot of things and was "only" a texture mod.

In the end I have hopes for this project.

It will most likely ALWAYS require users to be cautious about the load order due to the automatic updating, but for certain mods that would be fabulous.

However I do think it should be implemented into the Steam Client, like Skyrim Updates work, instead of in the Skyrim Launcher.

There should be a way to enable/disable automatic updating on individual mods and it should let you manually update the mods with auto updating disabled.

EDIT: Anyone tried using the SkyrimCustom.ini file (or whatever it's called, I'm at work so for obvious reasons don't have Skyrim installed here) to specify load order? Meaning, does the order of plugins in that file determine the order they're loaded? If so, then folks working on third-party load order tools could leverage this instead of tweaking file modification dates.

Not sure which file you're referring to, but if there was/is such a file that would be a godsend!

Edited by phantomgamerz

Thanks I noticed this myself, and I pretty new to this stuff. Does this also mean if you do bypass and use the skse launcher, steam workshop will not enable its mods? So I guess I just need to lauch with steam once to install.

Yes, sadly.

If they integrated it into the Steam Client and checked MD5 instead of Dates it would be perfect IMO. That and they need to make the Workshop easier to access from Steam Client, but that's purely aesthetics :P