Your Chance to Rant about Entitled Mod Users for FO4

Fkemman11

I would have to argue that the percentage of idiots on PC and console is fairly equal. Yes I agree it does feel like there are more on console but, as stated its only because of the number of console players out there. You do have to remember that the idiots are always the most vocal and in your face while the cool people tend to just use and enjoy.

Also when a game releases the idiots come out in droves! It's worse then the Zombi Apocalypse but, as quickly as they crawl out from under their bridge the next shiny thing pops up and they move on.

The longer a game is out the less idiots there are because the true "Die Hard" fans are the only ones that will play the same game for over 10 years. (In my experiance this is proving true for console players too!)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupidity does not make distinctions or discriminate between gaming platform preferences, it can be found everywhere.

I've found most interactions with console gamers no different to pc gamers, plenty are gracious and appreciative, some have unreasonable/unrealistic expectations because they don't know the first thing about modding, and it's just a small minority who are entitled whiny bastards idiots (same as their pc gamer counterparts)

DD got himself banned because his propensity to be an opinionated gobshite almost surpassed his modding ability - pity.

It isn't just gaming. Our society as a whole has become entitled and spoiled. Everyone has become a critic and thinks that the whole world is just dying for their opinion. It's the age of the instant "expert". People read a couple of things about a subject and suddenly believe that they know EVERYTHING about it. It's egocentrism run wild.

Edited by Soloquendi

It isn't just gaming. Our society as a whole has become entitled and spoiled. Everyone has become a critic and thinks that the whole world is just dying for their opinion. It's the age of the instant "expert". People read a couple of things about a subject and suddenly believe that they know EVERYTHING about it. It's egocentrism run wild.

Society has changed in that manner very little. The means to propagate opinions have advanced.

Society has changed in that manner very little. The means to propagate opinions have advanced.

Definitely what Ethreon said here. I remember an old monthly magazine about tabletop RPGs (called Sinkadus) where they had a "letter to the editor" type column. People could send a letter and have it published with all their opinions and ideas. And some people were having quite heated discussions over various things that some consider mistakes and others consider RP opportunities etc. The only difference now is that instead of giving your opinion once a month you can do it all the time, every time. (If you ever go to a tabletop gaming convention, be prepared for at least one dispute over rules, which version of a game is the best, which expansions that you absolutely need to make a game good and so on. People just like to give their opinions on everything, it's probably human nature to be honest.)

If you are a mod user and you disagree with how a mod is done - either don't use the mod, or ask the mod author if they could make a different version of it (if it's a small change), or learn to make the change yourself (but don't release it to the public without permission from the original author obviously).

If you are a mod author and someone disagrees with your mod - ask them why/how to make it better in their opinion (maybe you'll get a good idea out of it), or tell them why you made your mod the way you did it.

The main thing to remember is to avoid being overly rude when you find yourself disagreeing with someone, because then you'll just get rudeness back. And have patience - Not everyone reads the forums or even visits the site every day. Of those that do visit the site every day, not everyone has the time or energy to reply to every message.

That way everyone has a much nicer experience and isn't that really what we're all here for? :smile: (Most of us anyway.)

Agreed, we now have tools that help us see how far and wide the fields of bullshit are spread. it's not as if the 'I AM THE CENTRE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE' mentality has just sprung out of nowhere.

Given my stance in the "mod success" thread recently, folks like Chucksteel may be surprised at my take on this.

I did quite a bit of modding in FNV, and started out as a console player in FO3 before I bought a new machine and quickly graduated to PC modding. I skipped Skyrim altogether, got bored with FNV modding, and just wandered off to do other stuff for a couple of years until I finally had a machine that could run FO4. That pulled me back into the community.

And yeah, there's a lot of console entitlement out there, but yanno? The big thing that jumped out at me upon my return was.. oh dear lord, when did mod authors develop SUCH thin skins? I began poking around on FO4 Nexus and found no less than half a dozen authors whining about ungrateful users and people being mean and such and such and so on and so forth. It's as though if what you're writing isn't drawing down thousands of endorsements and showering you with roses - and maybe even kicking a few bucks into your Paypal - then it just isn't worth the effort.

I really don't get it. I sure don't remember this in the FNV days. I've gotten some pretty snarky feedback on a few of my mods (one actually called one of my mods a "troll"), not to mention a lot of spirited disagreement on their overall value and my own tastes, but that's to be expected when you're putting creative work out for the anonymous Internet world. You grumble privately, maybe delete a comment, and move on.

I don't know if that came out of the console push or not, if basically entitled consolers spawned whiny modders. I just wish some of these guys could thicken their hides and get back to building code.

Edited by Greslin

It began long before Console modding was a thing. I'd say it started with the popularity of Skyrim mods and has only continued to get worse.

I like you didn't mod for skyrim, I got the game on release and to this day have only opened it's Ckit once, I've probably only played the game for an hour before going back to FO3/NV.

As an unpublished,modder i must say that i feel a slight trepidation of ever publishing anything.. I have been and still am a grateful user of mods and have learned that if you read the descriptions and the various stickies you might get the help you need to actually change said mod to your own liking.. that´s how i got started.. helpful advice from mod-authors.. I,sometimes,read comments on mod-pages that makes me want to do violent things to the poster..but then i think.. maybe the pos fail to realize that this mod was NOT made exclusively for him or her? maybe they are so used to being treated like little Princes or Princesses that the very thought that things might not be to their liking makes them click? and the resulting tantrum is not about the mod but about their perception of the world being made for them? i have no clue to what Console users are about.. i don´t own a Console never will.. so i can´t join the discussion on that topic.. i can,however say this,IF you,as a modder,have clearly described on the main page that this mod is NOT for consoles and never will be,it is a disclaimer.. meaning that any and all rants,requests and general BS about porting said mod,can be legally and willfully ignored...

As a new mod creator, I did not expect to have any "peeves" about users. Well ....

Why do people feel compelled to make comments about a mod which the haven't downloaded? Especially after looking at the pretty pictures and not bothering to read the description.