Steam Workshop.

Throsby

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only put Steam in online mode for Skyrim a few times: when I installed the game, to download the 1.4 patch beta, to uninstall the 1.4 patch beta because I had problems with it, to download the 1.4 official patch and, last, to download the CK and take a look at SW. I don't see any compelling reason in SW for me to change my behavior. Like mrvco, I'll look at it again after it's had time to mature but I really do prefer to be in charge of my own hard drive so auto-magic subscriptions to mods are going to be a hard sell with me.

I'm exclusively using Steam Workshop now for hosting mods, and suggest others to do the same. Bethesda hosts their game, creation kit and mods on Steam to deter pirates. I don't like people who pirate a game with so much work put into it, so I'll continue hosting my mods there. The subscribe feature is a huge bonus, since it tacks on to the launcher itself. The mods are easy to download and easy to upload with no separate accounts needed, just your Steam profile (which has Skyrim in it already). I can get into touch with my mod users way more easily to discuss things, since it's fused into the Steam community. I don't see the hate here.

Steam Workshop will improve over time and cater to all modding needs. I don't know what will happen to Nexus, but I'm pretty sure (after observing the number of downloads on my simple mod and the quantity of quality content) that it won't be the #1 target for Skyrim mods anymore. Nexus has slowly degraded into a community that serves adult-only content and mods that cater only to a specific niche (ergo all the anime / hentai mods around). With strict quality control and Bethesda endorsement, Steam Workshop has already shown signs of turning into a healthier and more resourceful modding database. I'm sorry to say this, I really am.

That's OK, maybe we'll be here to help you if the need arises. With luck the community will survive the ordeal without becoming a herd.

I'm exclusively using Steam Workshop now for hosting mods, and suggest others to do the same. Bethesda hosts their game, creation kit and mods on Steam to deter pirates. I don't like people who pirate a game with so much work put into it, so I'll continue hosting my mods there. The subscribe feature is a huge bonus, since it tacks on to the launcher itself. The mods are easy to download and easy to upload with no separate accounts needed, just your Steam profile (which has Skyrim in it already). I can get into touch with my mod users way more easily to discuss things, since it's fused into the Steam community. I don't see the hate here.

I don't see the correlation between Steam Workshop and "pirates", unless you're saying that people are pirating free mods. I use NMM and Skyrim purchased via Steam, but good luck with whatever statement you're trying to make.

Steam Workshop will improve over time and cater to all modding needs.

That is my hope and I do appreciate that mod'ers such as yourself are willing to jump out there on the bleeding edge to help and improve SW.

I don't know what will happen to Nexus, but I'm pretty sure (after observing the number of downloads on my simple mod and the quantity of quality content) that it won't be the #1 target for Skyrim mods anymore. Nexus has slowly degraded into a community that serves adult-only content and mods that cater only to a specific niche (ergo all the anime / hentai mods around). With strict quality control and Bethesda endorsement, Steam Workshop has already shown signs of turning into a healthier and more resourceful modding database. I'm sorry to say this, I really am.

It is pretty easy to avoid the "adult" stuff here, but I suppose the temptation is too great for some, so to each his own.

Edited by Guest

I find it odd that so many people say this site is only caters to "adult" and "anime" mods. When I look at the mods available it seems like that's a very small percentage. I think that many of the mods hosted here are top notch in quality and I don't find it difficult to overlook the ones that I'm not interested in.

I believe that saying that this site caters only to one group is false. There's something to be said for a site that has something for everyone no matter what your preference.

As for the steam workshop, I haven't even glanced at it, I might one day, but I'm happy with the Nexus here, it has never let me down before. I'm sure given time the steam workshop will have it's share of pointless and low quality mods, it's inevitable anywhere.

I find it odd that so many people say this site is only caters to "adult" and "anime" mods. When I look at the mods available it seems like that's a very small percentage. I think that many of the mods hosted here are top notch in quality and I don't find it difficult to overlook the ones that I'm not interested in.

I believe that saying that this site caters only to one group is false. There's something to be said for a site that has something for everyone no matter what your preference.

As for the steam workshop, I haven't even glanced at it, I might one day, but I'm happy with the Nexus here, it has never let me down before. I'm sure given time the steam workshop will have it's share of pointless and low quality mods, it's inevitable anywhere.

I think the problem for some is that those "adult" themed mods are hosted here at all. Lots of different stuff here I'll never use, but I've never had a problem avoiding said content, either. Three out of the top 25 mods here could currently be called "adult". That's not a majority, unless my math skills are worse than I thought. :biggrin:

I don't see the correlation between Steam Workshop and "pirates", unless you're saying that people are pirating free mods. I use NMM and Skyrim purchased via Steam, but good luck with whatever statement you're trying to make.

That is my hope and I do appreciate that mod'ers such as yourself are willing to jump out there on the bleeding edge to help and improve SW.

I don't know what will happen to Nexus, but I'm pretty sure (after observing the number of downloads on my simple mod and the quantity of quality content) that it won't be the #1 target for Skyrim mods anymore. Nexus has slowly degraded into a community that serves adult-only content and mods that cater only to a specific niche (ergo all the anime / hentai mods around). With strict quality control and Bethesda endorsement, Steam Workshop has already shown signs of turning into a healthier and more resourceful modding database. I'm sorry to say this, I really am.

It is pretty easy to avoid the "adult" stuff here, but I suppose the temptation is too great for some, so to each his own.

"Adult" and "anime" are not bad words. It seems very immature to treat them as such. Do not allow this critic to define the terms in a way that already concludes his argument.

His point about pirated software has to do with the fact that modded versions of the game, which bypass Steam altogether, are used by both purchasers of the game and pirates. A game that is modded to launch without Steam can still use Nexus. So people who like full control and like modding might be using something that others would label "pirated". Dragon Age was like that especially, where the legit version was harder to mod so some people obtained "pirated" versions after being frustrated by their Steam version. Anyway, long story short, he's right on this point. Anyone having a legit copy, like myself, could still get mods from Steam and simply copy those to his/her modded version of Skyrim's folder. However, those with only truly pirated software have no choice but to use Nexus exclusively if they want other people's mods.

I'm exclusively using Steam Workshop now for hosting mods, and suggest others to do the same. Bethesda hosts their game, creation kit and mods on Steam to deter pirates. I don't like people who pirate a game with so much work put into it, so I'll continue hosting my mods there.

Given, hosting mods on Steam might deter pirates at first. DLCs haven't been safe from piracy, though, so if there's enough demand the hackers will probably find a way. Also, since many mods are .esp or .esm files, it would probably be easy to put them online without the modder's authorization. If a popular, in demand mod is at first SW exclusive, I suspect it won't likely stay that way for long.

The subscribe feature is a huge bonus, since it tacks on to the launcher itself. The mods are easy to download and easy to upload with no separate accounts needed, just your Steam profile (which has Skyrim in it already). I can get into touch with my mod users way more easily to discuss things, since it's fused into the Steam community. I don't see the hate here.

You can also get in touch with people on the Nexus. The convenience argument really isn't that great either, since it's also pretty quick to install mods from the Nexus in many cases, and very large, heavily customizable mods similar to FCOM will be nightmares to install from the SW. I also don't really get all the fuss about having only one account. The last time I checked, people do tend to have logins to many different websites. I could understand the criticism if you needed, say, 5+ logins for the Nexus and SW to both work for you, but one more internet account is really not a big deal.

For one, you don't know that to be true. You're speculating on what MAY happen in the future. That's not the current situation.

You think it will meet your modding needs. How will it meet the needs of mods like FCOM for Oblivion? Not all mods are essentially simple to install. FCOM is a monster to install and it will not work properly if it's downloaded and activated like many mods could be on Steam Workshop. There's a lot more work to be done. So are all of my modding needs for, say, Oblivion met without FCOM? No, because FCOM is an excellent mod and I'd prefer to use mods like it.

I disagree with your assertion that the Nexus is a place uniquely degraded by low-quality, adult-only, or "niche" mods. First of all, how can you claim your own tastes to be so superior to those of others in this gaming community? I don't see what harm people having different tastes does. People are downloading mods on the Nexus. Why? Probably because they like them. If you don't like specific mods, don't use them. I don't like every mod I see. You know what, though? Some people do. And you know what? They have the right to do that. People have differing tastes in mods. Mine aren't superior to anyone else's. Neither are yours.

I was on the fence on this before the release of SW. I read all the threads on Nexus and at Beth about what it meant for the modding community, and my conclusion was that I really wasn't much of a community kind of guy. I thought "Why not release on steam?" I like Nexus but I'm not married to Nexus.

Well now that we are here I have changed my mind. I will not release anything on SW. If/When I release anything for Skyrim it will be here on Nexus, and if that means fewer downloads I don't care. If I want a mirror I will use TESA or another site – there are some good sites with strong modding communities in Russia and Germany that I wouldn't mind supporting.

I don't think this has anything to do with piracy. I think it is about control. Channeling modders to the official Corporate approved site, where they will eventually gain a measure of control over the modding community. (for profit – theirs not ours) If they are successful then we will all be the losers.

Here at the Nexus we have an environment that allows for a great deal of artistic freedom. What that means is that we can release mods that will inevitably rub some people the wrong way. Now those people who would like to censor us will be big supporters of SW. When I read through the forums there I get the impression that every troll who was ever banned from here and the Beth forums has found a home on Steam.

Some people like the idea of censoring others. Some people can't comprehend that we don't all think with the same mind, or see the world with the same eyes. Not my problem, they can be as blissful as they want so long as they have no power over me. But why a serious modder would choose censorship over artistic freedom is beyond my understanding.

When I first started surfing the net many years ago most of the sites were put up by ordinary people. Regular people uploading all kinds of things on their home page. It was kind of quirky but it was also very very cool. Now every where you look it is just more and more corporate bull $hit. And that is what SW is – Corporate Bull $hit pushing aside the little guy.

I watched Dark0ne's video blog and I liked a lot of what he had to say, but most importantly it made me aware that he is a regular guy, not some corporate big shot. I will support the Nexus for as long as it is here and as long as I am modding. The Nexus Vision is much closer to the type of world I want to live in than what we will ever get from Valve/Steam or Bethesda.